ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   ITIL Foundation course (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/499816-itil-foundation-course.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 14 March 2006 09:28 PM

ITIL Foundation course

Anyone here done it and what did you think of it? I am on this course for the next 3 days and doing the exam at the end of it. Our place is ITIL mad with things changing here there and everywhere.

Some of the changes our place have implemented seem so beauraucratic that they appear to be a waste of time and money. Typical standardisation doing things for the sake of doing them when they didn't actually need to be done.

Anyone else think the same? Who thinks its great and why?

Plus anyone got the answers for the exam? ;)

J4CKO 14 March 2006 10:02 PM

Some of the people at our place chewed their own limbs off it was so dull, I dont have to do it cos I go on exciting Oracle Courses !

Bravo2zero_sps 14 March 2006 10:16 PM

Thats what I am worried about. Taking a box of matches with me to scaffold my eyelids open.

jasonl 14 March 2006 10:29 PM

i know what you mean about change. i've not done the course, although two people in my office have. the tech desk, who support the system we provide installation manager training for, have gone itil mad. they've changed the names of the teams, but having talked to the guys who've done the full course and all the exams, the guys down stairs have ****ed it up:cuckoo:

WRX_Rich 14 March 2006 10:30 PM

after doing the mangers course

its very boring very beauraucratic and sells it self through out the course - but made a difference to the way I work

when you do the test remember you can say Send all satff on expensive itil training courses and you always get a mark

shame the foundation is multipule choice -should be easy

scoobyjimbo 15 March 2006 08:10 AM

I have done it and it is very dull, but think of it like this in years to come when you want to change jobs it will make sure you get a better starting salary becuase most companies within IT now are asking for this and they will offer you more if you have it.

J

Foot_Tapper 15 March 2006 09:26 AM

I can see the point behind the basics.

Having read a brief few lines on each of the subjects... realised the people I work for as a contractor have been using the ITIL system for years.
It was just never called that...it never had a name...
Its called common sense and procedures for doing things so u can cost them and account and control the IT environment.
Someone has clicked on and is now making a mint out of it.

MattW 15 March 2006 10:09 AM

We have to be all ITIL'd up, consulting on service management tools. BS15000/ISO20000 is the recognised standard now.

David_Wallis 15 March 2006 11:16 AM

ITIL isnt a waste of time, If you actually have change control procedures in place, once you get used to working with them it can actually cover your ass.

My old manager did the courses and he said they were actually eye openers and if you actually applied yourself, or thought about how it would work then it was pretty good.. and its recognized by most ftse 100's

David

KiwiGTI 15 March 2006 11:41 AM

Just the current buzzword that seems to be trendy on CV's at the moment, joining such illustrious titles as CNA, MCSE, MCP and PRINCE2

Bravo2zero_sps 15 March 2006 12:49 PM

David I didn't say it was a waste of time, only some of the changes that have been implemented, such as the Helpdesk no longer being allowed to be called the Helpdesk but now has to be called the Service Desk. That to me is a waste of time and if they cut this sort of beauracracy out of it then it would be much better.

David_Wallis 15 March 2006 06:58 PM

Agreed.

Mark Miwurdz 16 March 2006 12:12 PM

Hi Bob

When it comes to the exam, just remember what the instructor told you and go for the most correct answer. Sounds daft, but there's no latitude for reasoning at the foundation level - it's about as prescriptive as it gets. Any decent training outfit should provide you with plenty of mock papers as you go along.

Pass the exam and wear your green badge with pride ;) , that is until you start rubbing shoulders with people who have done the practitioners and managers qualification and then you'll feel very lowly indeed.

I work for a big software company in sales and they've gone ITIL crazy recently. I went for an internal promotion and had to pass the foundation course as one of the conditions of offer of employment. It has helped me credibility wise customer-facing but I'm not sure I'd pass the exam now if I had to sit it without any prep.

Best of luck.

Cheers
Kav

Bravo2zero_sps 16 March 2006 12:29 PM

Cheers Kav. I did a mock exam last night and got 29 out of 40 and that was only after 1 day of a 3 day course so so much of it is applying common sense and using experience plus I might have just been lucky with guessing ;)

rik1471 16 March 2006 02:42 PM

ITIL foundation is mainly common sense to be honest. I quite enjoyed the course.

What mark did everyone get in the exam?

I got 38/40 :)