ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Cost to color code door mirrors (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/49600-cost-to-color-code-door-mirrors.html)

Trumble 18 October 2001 09:28 AM

Anyone know how much I may be looking at to color code my door mirrors and door handles, and those damn orange grills in the front spoiler ?

Also how the hell do they come out ?

T.

ScoobyJawa 18 October 2001 10:09 AM

Trumble,

Mirrors and handles is around 200-300 quid I think, got a quote to de-lock the car, and colour code handles, sideskirts, rear bumper trim and mirrors for around 350 through a mate :D

As for the orange bits, unscrew your indicator and remove and then just pop the little grill bit out from behind :D Better than scratching your paint using a screwdriver to pop it out ;)

Trumble 18 October 2001 10:14 AM

Thanks m8 I'll have a shop round - would any body shopy beable to match the DGM color I have ?

Reason is I want some clear indicators (font and side) and thought the orange grill makes them look a bit pants.

T.

carl 18 October 2001 12:56 PM

Just find a colour that's close from Halfords -- they're recessed anyway so no-one will notice the slight difference.

DaveMcC 18 October 2001 06:31 PM

I got my orange vents colour coded DGM by a local bodyshop for £30. The match isn't perfect but cause they're recessed you can't tell.

Dave

ChrisB 18 October 2001 10:59 PM

I got those naff orange bits out by grabbing with some pliers and just pulling - came out no trouble. They are black underneath so I stripped them down with thinners and then sprayed them black.

Mucho improvement.

ChrisB.

Trumble 19 October 2001 08:34 PM

Looks like its a trip to Halfords this weekend with my DGM touch up paint.

Thanks All.

T.

catflap 19 October 2001 08:36 PM

whats the DGM paint? and how is it going to be on the softer plastic bits?

FASTER MIKE!! 20 October 2001 01:35 PM

has anyone sprayed their mirror`s them self with an aerosol can of paint? what`s the colour match like? i`ve been thinking about doing the job my self aswell as the side skirts and rear bumper extentions so would be interested in finding out the end results.

Trumble 20 October 2001 09:54 PM

Well I went into my local halford looking for the closest DGM (64c) I could find - got really worried when the nearest was Daewoo!

Anyways, I went over for a chat with the blokes at that nice long counter they have infront of all those things you never really want and asked "can you order paint for a subaru ?"

Oh yes we can even make it up on the spot ! I nearly fell over ! They can put it into into aerosols - skeptic but none the less for 8 quid I thought lets give it a go.

So producing touch up pencil with color code on they made a note of the code and I went to B&Q !

Came back an hour later and they showed me the color - looked perfect match to me - only thing was they mixed too much (half a litre!) - shame - so they gave it me anyways as they would chuck it out !

The grills are now off and I have washed / scrubbed them - I'll clean them with thinners tomorrow and start to paint them.

Anyone know once I have got the color on should I give them some coats of clear lacquer ?

I'll post some picks when I get done.

T.

[Edited by Trumble - 10/21/2001 9:12:53 AM]

carl 21 October 2001 12:53 PM

I just cleaned mine with soapy water, did four coats of silver (I've got a silver car, obviously) left overnight then two coats of clear lacquer. You have to spray from quite a few angles to get in between the slats.

Trumble 21 October 2001 03:48 PM

Took them right back to the black plastic - then sprayed 4 coats of platic primer. So far 3 coats of DGM and I still havent filled all the bottoms of the grooves.

After a couple more coats I'll bung them in the airing cupboard overnight - then it'll be the lacquer tomorrow.

T.

[Edited by Trumble - 10/21/2001 3:49:06 PM]

catflap 22 October 2001 11:22 PM

How hard is it to get the door handles out? do you have to do something to the locks or can they just be unscrewed?? would like to do them too

TonyG 23 October 2001 12:34 PM

I got my orange triangle thingys out with a coathanger. Handy hint - if doing this, stick masking tape over the paintwork surrounding them to prevent scratches. Best paint match I found was at the local model shop - Tamiya 'Telefonica Blue' metallic matches very well to Deep Blue Mica. Wouldn't recommend using it for door mirrors/handles though.

Timo 25 October 2001 01:10 AM

Wot r u talking about lads!! DONT EVEN GO THERE!

Colour coding door handles and mirrors with cans of paint from halfords!! Oh dear ... please get a grip!!

and as for the 200 to 300 hundred quid, well if you drive up to my place with £150 and take ya missus shopping for a couple of hours youll come back to colour coded parts,

dont ruin ya scooby with crappy aerosols!!

Tim

catflap 25 October 2001 07:49 PM

Hay timo, if i pop upo to see you with 150 quid will YOU take my misses shopping for me ARRGGG PLKASE ILL PAY YOU FOR HER hehehe

is that 150 for all the bitrs? skirts side and back and handles and mirrors dude?

Trumble 27 October 2001 09:20 AM

Would have to say now those horid orange things are colored green - looks a whole lot better - the color is a little light but hardly noticeable.

Certainly wouldnt consider using the spray cans for the mirrors but had the paint been a spot on match would have used it to do the mirrors and door handles - as it is I wont but cant complain as the whole thing only cost a tenner including the thinners to strip the paint off in the first place.

Most pleased.

T.

GW2000 27 October 2001 04:05 PM

Trumble - Would be interested to see a picture of your motor with the grills sprayed DGM. I'm also thinking of doing the clear lenses on for the front and side indicators as well.

Ian

Trumble 29 October 2001 07:40 PM

Have some pics but cant find info on how to embedd in the forum looks like the faq has gone west following the upgrade !

Anyone know how ?

T.

necromax 29 October 2001 10:54 PM

Anyone know of anyone who would colour code door handles and respray one of my door mirrors (someone was a bit close passing my car), in the North Shropshire/North Wales area ? For a reasonable sum of course!

Trumble 30 October 2001 06:08 PM

Heres a pic of the two sides of the front bumper.

http://www.trumble.demon.co.uk/scooby/grills.jpg

My m8 is going to do the mirrors for me as he has all the gear. More images comming in a couple of weeks.

T.

[Edited by Trumble - 10/30/2001 7:02:12 PM]