ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Suggestions Please..-rapid spooling turbo-350Bhp/350Lb/Ft?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/481405-suggestions-please-rapid-spooling-turbo-350bhp-350lb-ft.html)

Stiver3 05 January 2006 12:03 AM

Suggestions Please..-rapid spooling turbo-350Bhp/350Lb/Ft??

Hi

Still looking into power upgrades for my scoob:wonder: , i've gone off the 400HP idea, which i asked about a few months back...instead, im looking for around 340-350ish mark, with similar high torque if possible.

I was thinking of a turbo from a spec c or late STi, because i would really like a rapid spooling turbo rather than a laggy one, apart from the injectors, fuel pump blah blah, could i use my standard STi Top mount??, as fitting a Sti8 after reading through 911's thread seemed a bit of a task!!:brickwall

Car is a 97Sti

thanks for any help!:)

scooby-k 05 January 2006 05:22 PM

the later twin scroll turbo wont fit on classic headers, up pipe r different afaik
you could go for a vf28 off sti5 or P1 just about manage your power figure

4wheel 05 January 2006 07:24 PM

wrx

have got 303 bhp and 322ft/lbs torque,with headers turbo back magnex system and ecu chip on my 95 wrx import well happy

JIM THEO 05 January 2006 07:30 PM

Ask David from API engines he sells twin scroll kits that include all necessary parts (manifold, oil pan/stick, downpipe, turbo etc).
JIM

APIDavid 05 January 2006 07:52 PM

Thanks Jim, You're correct we do sell that, but in this guys case I am not sure that he will get where he wants to be, and certainly not cheaply. The VF28 from a P1 / STi 5 or 6 won't make any difference, that he notices, on what he has now.

Porting and polishing his headers and lighter flywheel [ 7 kgs ] will almost certainly be the best [ cheap], simple option and in my experience seems to do exactly what he is looking for.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com

Stiver3 05 January 2006 10:08 PM

Cheers everybody for the replies,i have a set of headers waiting to go on here, so i will see how they work.

I still like the idea of a new turbo, but its probably not worth the hassle; as said,if my current one can be pushed near that figure...the Api set-up does sound tempting though

scoobyDAZZA 05 January 2006 11:31 PM

vf34

STI8U 06 January 2006 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Stiver3
Hi

Still looking into power upgrades for my scoob:wonder: , i've gone off the 400HP idea, which i asked about a few months back...instead, im looking for around 340-350ish mark, with similar high torque if possible.

I was thinking of a turbo from a spec c or late STi, because i would really like a rapid spooling turbo rather than a laggy one, apart from the injectors, fuel pump blah blah, could i use my standard STi Top mount??, as fitting a Sti8 after reading through 911's thread seemed a bit of a task!!:brickwall

Car is a 97Sti

thanks for any help!:)

Maybe a Power Enterprise PE1818 - these are modified IHI turbos with larger compressors that have the ability to flow 18m3/min (635CFM). They are good for 350HP+ and have good spool as they have the P18 turbine housing (same as VF23). The PE1820 is also an option, good for 400HP+ but has quite a bit of lag due to the P20 exhaust housing (same as VF22)

Both of these turbos should be a direct bolt on too....

A twin scroll conversion will give you the numbers you are looking for with high torque, but lots of $$$$$

Check out http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk/uk/andrew_tang2.htm, this is a PE1818 setup making 354BHP/298lbft. Torque curve is a little laggy for a PE1818, that turbo probably doesn't like the FMIC on the car.

Neilo 06 January 2006 12:16 PM

thast pretty low torque for a PE1818 isnt it? or is that normal? i would have expected more 330lbft?

john banks 06 January 2006 12:32 PM

VF23 has a P20 turbine housing.

Aftermarket headers or bigger turbos will kill your spool up. From experience I would avoid VF hybrid turbos as despite posher bearings they don't give the overall response and power band of a TD05 based hybrid IMHO.

A good remap with your stock turbo, ported headers and an intercooler upgrade would probably be best bang for buck.