ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Hypocritical Government (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/474144-hypocritical-government.html)

NotoriousREV 29 November 2005 01:09 PM

Hypocritical Government

No surprise there, but just look at these 2 stories today. 1st off, Alastair Darling has started the push towards tracking motorists by telling us it's part of a wider transport policy to improve things:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4480292.stm

But then the Government stops Liverpool (and Leeds) from implementing a better public transport system:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/4481146.stm

Makes you wonder exactly what satellite tracking will really be used for, because the government don't seem exactly commited to improving public transport, do they?

hedgehog 29 November 2005 01:12 PM

It is even more interesting to note that they really expect their road charging scheme to be such a success that the Time reports:

"Tyne & Wear is considering using profits from its proposed charging scheme to compensate businesses for loss of trade."

Well, that is great then. No better way to get the economy back to the stone age than by implementing a wide range of control systems that will fill the far left with joy and ruin business and transport.

Dream Weaver 29 November 2005 01:18 PM

Just typical Labour, rather than solve any root cause they just try fire fighting measures.

If we had a half decent public transport system, that would in itself cut congestion, and people would be more willing to use it rather than drive everywhere. I know exactly what will happen in Greater Manchester - people will just avoid the CG zones by skirting around them using the small outlying villages as rat runs.

The only thing they can do to cut congestion in real terms is to price people off the road by charging £5/litre for fuel. But...they MUST provide decent alternatives rather than blowing our money on crap like they are proposing.

_RIP_ 29 November 2005 01:27 PM

Mr Darling said a national charging scheme would replace either fuel duty or vehicle excise duty but could result in an increase in the overall sum paid by motorists.
Obvioulsy it will have to cost the cash cows more or it wont reduce congestions. What a tw@t. And a 1.5% reduction in London traffic means feck all re congestion. Just another huge stealth tax.

OllyK 29 November 2005 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver

The only thing they can do to cut congestion in real terms is to price people off the road by charging £5/litre for fuel. But...they MUST provide decent alternatives rather than blowing our money on crap like they are proposing.

Actually there are a good few alternatives
1) Remove the congestion creating mechanisms that have been introduced such as the removal of pull-ins for bus stops, the introduction of 24 hour bus lanes, the removal of second lanes on dual carriage ways by hatching them all out, the continual and unesscessary reduction of speed limits on safe roads.
2) Incentivise businesses to encourage home work and staggered starting hours. Rather than a rush hour, we spread the load.
3) Improve public transport and provide more / better park and ride style facilities, particularly to get people from the outskirts in to town centres.

SJ_Skyline 29 November 2005 01:48 PM

Money would be better spent on incentives to get freight back onto the railways (if this is a viable alternative) :)

_RIP_ 29 November 2005 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK
1) Remove the congestion creating mechanisms that have been introduced such as the removal of pull-ins for bus stops, the introduction of 24 hour bus lanes, the removal of second lanes on dual carriage ways by hatching them all out, the continual and unesscessary reduction of speed limits on safe roads.
2) Incentivise businesses to encourage home work and staggered starting hours. Rather than a rush hour, we spread the load.
3) Improve public transport and provide more / better park and ride style facilities, particularly to get people from the outskirts in to town centres.

Stop making junctions etc narrower so that you can no longer get two lanes of cars for turning both left and right. This p!sses me off big time.

r32 29 November 2005 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK

Thats an excellent list, seems too easy doesnt it. But in some cases local authorities have changed road patterns and traffic light sequences to specifically increase congestion They feel that the harder they make it the more will stop using the roads or keep out of town....

Plus this Government is determined to track its population. They want to know where you are, what you are doing and when ..... their plan is working!

Clarebabes 29 November 2005 05:02 PM

OllyK

Can I use that list to send to my MP? He is looking into the issues I raised with him and I want to know what the Conservative view on them is. However, by sending your list, I can come up with his next transport policy for Northampton!

Cool.

P.Cole 29 November 2005 05:03 PM

:sleep: :D :D lol

unclebuck 29 November 2005 05:13 PM

local authorities have changed road patterns and traffic light sequences to specifically increase congestion
They are certainly doing that around my area.

hutton_d 29 November 2005 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Just typical Labour, rather than solve any root cause they just try fire fighting measures.

They are not 'fire fighting' measures. They are what all their transport policies have been leading up to. Control and power over private transport - to make it work they can't provide a viable public transport system either. There is also the fact that their methods of implementation lead the *oppostition* to argue over details whilst the main objective goes on regardless .......

Dave

CrisPDuk 29 November 2005 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by unclebuck
They are certainly doing that around my area.

They've just done it on the A6 through Stockport:mad: Over a periond of two weeks they have been altering the traffic light sequences, and several teams of clipboard toting numpties have been recording the results, on my particlar 15 mile journey the time taken varied over as much as 30 minutes. The study has obviously finished because it now consistently takes me over half an hour longer to get to and from work than it did a month ago:mad:

I'm betting sometime soon there will be a report about traffic congestion worsening too:mad: