ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Petrol Refineries Blockade planned - 14th September (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/455117-petrol-refineries-blockade-planned-14th-september.html)

FirebirdUK 07 September 2005 07:43 AM

Petrol Refineries Blockade planned - 14th September

Just saw this on the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4221296.stm

Looks like they're planning to block all the UK refinieries from the 14th September if the level of fuel tax is not cut...

Best fill up quick!

Should be interesting to see what the government/police will do this time (after they brought in measures to stop this happening again)

Warthog 07 September 2005 08:27 AM

If they're still there when I get back from hols I'll be joining them. Anyone who's complained about the price of fuel should - it's better than doing nothing. As fuel prices climb to terrifying levels, when the police turn up we just use the standard “it’s our war on terror” excuse like everyone else. Come on guys, a line of scoob’s will look miles better than the Massey Ferguson’s!

SPEN555 07 September 2005 08:31 AM

IIRC,

To stop this happening again didn't Blair put together an emergency procedure which involved the army?

Swift Cee 07 September 2005 08:36 AM

oh ARRRRR!!!!!!! i hear that! only thing is its gona cost me 400 squids to get up there!!!!!!!!! Cause in effect!!!!!!!!!

Swift :razz:

TonyG 07 September 2005 08:37 AM

Well, that bu66ers up anyone who's planning to go see the WRGB doesn't it. :(

Scoobychick 07 September 2005 08:56 AM

It's ok Tony, I'll brim my Focus up on the 13th, that should be good for about 500 miles ;)

ethanrob 07 September 2005 09:00 AM

about time this happened,i am up for the blockade if i can squeeze the scoob in between the wagon's and tractor's,will just resort to desperate measure's if fuel run's low

out come's the seat arosa shopping trolley,

1.0i multipoint injection
56 horse's pumping away
70 odd miles to the gallon road town

Jamo 07 September 2005 09:00 AM

where in the uk are these refinaries?

JohnD 07 September 2005 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by SPEN555
IIRC,

To stop this happening again didn't Blair put together an emergency procedure which involved the army?

The latest fashion alternative to covering your car in stickers - bullet holes down the side!
Good to see that people have had enough.
Can someone explain that when the price of crude goes up and the oil companies say they are forced to increase prices, they make huge extra profits!!! How terribly embarassing for them!

JohnD

jjones 07 September 2005 09:11 AM

government also rakes in extra vat every time the price goes up.

heating oil is now at 35p per litre for those who can't get gas. 5 years ago it was approx 18p a litre. not sure on the tax on heating fuel 8%? so even the government are gaining extra revenue here hand over fist.

Swen6 07 September 2005 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by shaggy1973

One in Hemel Hempstead.

Swen6 07 September 2005 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Warthog
...when the police turn up we just use the standard “it’s our war on terror” excuse like everyone else.

:lol: Comedy Genius

Warthog 07 September 2005 09:37 AM

List of Major UK Oil Refineries

http://www.og.dti.gov.uk/downstream/refining/

Jamo 07 September 2005 09:43 AM

anyone else up for going? I am.

Graz 07 September 2005 09:43 AM

Whilst I agree the cost of petrol is a bit on the high side at the moment they better fcuking not blockade the refinerys as I'm on holiday the following weekend and need my car :razz:

GaryScoobNCBR 07 September 2005 09:45 AM

lol scoobs aint the best thing to blockade in, we'll run outta petrol before the end of the rally, and cause a proper roadblock

TonyG 07 September 2005 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by scoobychick
It's ok Tony, I'll brim my Focus up on the 13th, that should be good for about 500 miles ;)

Can I book a spare seat if necessary pleeeeease? :D Although I'm guessing it's going to be a very full car...
Thinking of investing in a jerry can for the weekend, just in case. Already have the octane booster, just in case I can't get Optimax/SUL.

imlach 07 September 2005 09:50 AM

That's the ultimate flaw in the blockades. While everyone likes the idea, eventually you get everyone stockpiling, moaning they can't go anywhere, and generally getting hacked off with it....

If you want a real protest, you have to be prepared to bed in, and support it to the end which DOES mean YOU will not be able to drive anywhere.

If you stockpile, YOU are defeating the purpose of it.

However, given this is selfish Britain we're talking about, everyone wants a blockade so long as THEY can still drive about :D :D

EddScott 07 September 2005 10:12 AM

I'll be surprised if it does happen.

I live a few miles away from Texaco and TotalFina/Murco in Pembrokeshire. I'll go and have a look but I doubt they'll be anything there.

Seems crazy that Wales is paying the highest price for fuel yet theres 2 refineries down the road.

TEH NOOB 07 September 2005 10:15 AM

about time.

marklemac 07 September 2005 10:39 AM

I live 2 mins from Fawley Refinery,and at the last blockades, I think all of Hampshires police force where there !

Cops/Bikes/Cars/Vans......

Ideal day out for a burgular ! or a high speed run on the motorway.....

StickyMicky 07 September 2005 10:42 AM

thats a good point, im away out for a black balaclava

Power Junkie 07 September 2005 11:30 AM

Don't you think it should be the government that gets blockaded? The Oil co's only get something like 5p from a litre of fuel. So tax is around 65p + Vat that is the real problem!

imlach 07 September 2005 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Power Junkie
Don't you think it should be the government that gets blockaded? The Oil co's only get something like 5p from a litre of fuel. So tax is around 65p + Vat that is the real problem!

At £1.00/litre, they get 37p a litre. Goverment gets 63p.
At 70p/litre, oil companies get 12p a litre, govt gets 58p

Power Junkie 07 September 2005 11:33 AM

Your forgetting the + VAT bit

imlach 07 September 2005 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Power Junkie
Your forgetting the + VAT bit

No I am not.

GC8 07 September 2005 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by shaggy1973

The nearest one to you will be in Immingham, near Grimsby. You could start a blockade outside Silkolene's refinery in Belper but Im not sure it'd make a deal of difference.....

Simon :)

Moley 07 September 2005 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by imlach
At £1.00/litre, they get 37p a litre. Goverment gets 63p.

Never realised it was so much that the government make!

Is an absolute joke, especially considering the state of our roads!!!

black scoobs 07 September 2005 11:39 AM

in our local paper it said petral was at 47p a litre, thats how much there buying it for ,so thats nearly 50% PROFIT or tax . :mad: :mad:

imlach 07 September 2005 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by black scoobs
in our local paper it said petral was at 47p a litre, thats how much there buying it for ,so thats nearly 50% PROFIT or tax . :mad: :mad:

No, fuel duty on unleaded is 47.1p/litre. On top of this there is VAT on the total price you pay at the pump - which comes to around 62/63p in total.

The amount going to the retailer/oil company at £1/litre is 37p.