ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Labours new "Death Tax". (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/449795-labours-new-death-tax.html)

Chip 16 August 2005 10:15 AM

Labours new "Death Tax".

LABOUR has devised a 'death tax' to relieve the huge pressure of council tax on older people.

Council taxes have increased by up to 70% since Labour came to power in 1997 and pensioners have been among the worst hit.

Many couples still in large family homes have found themselves facing soaring council tax bills while trying to live on fixed incomes.

The 'deferred payment' system would remove the immediate burden but allow local authorities to cash in later. Those who own their homes could choose to pay less or avoid the tax altogether.

Councils would then claim back all the tax owing when they die from the value of their home. Their children would pay in full, with interest, when they inherit the property.

Chip

Tiggs 16 August 2005 11:05 AM

thats good isnt it?

a) pay now

b) pay later

c) pay later but moan that you could be dead later and its nasty to take the money then?

ALi-B 16 August 2005 11:24 AM

Why not go whole hog and have Birth Tax as well. :rolleyes:

EvilKyote 16 August 2005 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Why not go whole hog and have Birth Tax as well. :rolleyes:

lol oh god no, hehe, sex tax, knowing labour they'd do it!

unclebuck 16 August 2005 11:59 AM

I blame Blair.

Poor Guy 16 August 2005 12:01 PM

Its all blairs fault

Reality 16 August 2005 12:10 PM

Maybe the supid old coffin dodgers will stop voting Labour then.

Suresh 16 August 2005 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Reality
Maybe the supid old coffin dodgers will stop voting Labour then.

Not really. The blue-rinse brigade form the majority of Conservative party members - which coincidentally is why the Tory party is slowly dying out. :o

Leslie 16 August 2005 02:29 PM

The "stupid old coffin dodgers", as you so politely put it Reality, will have what you have not got, and that is real experience of life and they will be far wiser than the likes of you.

One thing you should remember is that we are all travelling the same road and if you are lucky enough, old age will eventually catch up with you too. Youth certainly does not give you the right to feel superior and let me remind you that the elderly deserve respect and not the unpleasant attitude that you display to us all.

Les

Reality 16 August 2005 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
The "stupid old coffin dodgers", as you so politely put it Reality, will have what you have not got, and that is real experience of life and they will be far wiser than the likes of you.

One thing you should remember is that we are all travelling the same road and if you are lucky enough, old age will eventually catch up with you too. Youth certainly does not give you the right to feel superior and let me remind you that the elderly deserve respect and not the unpleasant attitude that you display to us all.

Les

No group of people deserve respect - there's plenty of Old paedophiles out there.

You need to earn respect Les - it's not just handed out cos you happen to be a coffin dodger - I won't expect respect when I'm Older - I'll earn it - Just like I do now !

I Respect you Les (You've earnt it) - I treat everyone as I find them.

Petem95 16 August 2005 03:19 PM

So lets see, Labour have;

- ruined pensions for many by removing billions from funds in a tax grab
- students now leave education in massive debt, taking 10-15years to pay off
- nobody can afford to buy a house because theyve allowed prices to boom to fund high street spending
- accumulated massive government debt through borrowing

There has to be a point where they have to say, ok we either cut back on government spending massively, or else everything just goes tits up?

unclebuck 16 August 2005 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Petem95
So lets see, Labour have;

- ruined pensions for many by removing billions from funds in a tax grab
- students now leave education in massive debt, taking 10-15years to pay off
- nobody can afford to buy a house because theyve allowed prices to boom to fund high street spending
- accumulated massive government debt through borrowing

There has to be a point where they have to say, ok we either cut back on government spending massively, or else everything just goes tits up?

Or they could stop wasting Billions of taxpayers' money on:

- Prosecuting Illegal Wars
- Pointless Public Sector Jobs
- Paying endless benefits to bugus asulym seekers, immigrants, chavs, pikeys, etc.
- Unrequired follies such as The Olympics

Luminous 16 August 2005 05:56 PM

I still struggle to work out how they are managed to spend all the money they are getting.

The tax take just keeps on growing more and more. All the extra tax they take, yet they still have to borrow, and still we do not have enough money for the services that we want :eek:

Suresh 16 August 2005 06:59 PM

Spot On!

Originally Posted by unclebuck

- Defending worthless South Atlantic Islands just before an election
- Defending the pound and trying to keep it in the ERM
- Paying endless benefits to quangos set up to give jobs to their mates
- Unrequired follies such as The Dome

Probably the first time we have ever ageed!

Leslie 17 August 2005 11:48 AM

I understand your point Reality, yes respect does have to be earned as you say. I understood your remark in that post to show an overall lack of respect for all old people which I reckon would be unfair. I object to ageist criticism for the sake of it.

I don't like paedophiles either-young or old!

I do respect the steadfastness of the elderly lady(73) in Devon who has gone to prison for a week in protest against the excessive increases of Council Tax even though she could have paid what was outstanding.

Les

Reality 17 August 2005 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie
I understand your point Reality, yes respect does have to be earned as you say. I understood your remark in that post to show an overall lack of respect for all old people which I reckon would be unfair. I object to ageist criticism for the sake of it.

I don't like paedophiles either-young or old!

Les

Sorry for the "Stupid Coffin Dodgers" remark - it was a cheap shot.

But I do meet many old folk who whinge about their pension and the council tax who will "always vote Labour - Always have and always will" - They were the people I was referring to :)

Most Coffin Dodgers I meet are great - and much more entertaining than the youngsters ;)

Apparition 17 August 2005 04:32 PM

Glad you backed down on that theme Reality. There are good and bad at any age and I hate to see older persons being compartmentalised into one category by anyone. Well done Les, once again for speaking up and standing up for both yourself and others.
I'm 54, so I'm not exactly "old" but I'm no teenager either. I like to think I'm sorta in the middle. I'd no more bunch all the young together and call them all chavs, as I'd bunch together all the over 65's and call them all daft old sods. We , as Les said, will all be old, (hopefully) one day. It would serve every one well to consider that fact.
Yve :D

Reality 17 August 2005 04:34 PM

Old Slapper ;):D:p

kingofturds 17 August 2005 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by unclebuck

- Defending worthless South Atlantic Islands just before an election
- Defending the pound and trying to keep it in the ERM
- Paying endless benefits to quangos set up to give jobs to their mates

Originally Posted by Suresh
Probably the first time we have ever ageed!

surely labour should take the credit for that one

pete1977 17 August 2005 06:34 PM

Live fast,Die young,Pay less tax!

Suresh 17 August 2005 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds

surely labour should take the credit for that one

Not really :o

But NL should take credit for the plans for it to be re-used during the 2012 London Olympics for Gymnastics and Basketball events. Well done Tony! :D