ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Golf R32...how slow???!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/447453-golf-r32-how-slow.html)

subaruwr1 06 August 2005 04:14 PM

Golf R32...how slow???!!!

Just had some fun with a Golf R32 on a PRIVATE dual carriageway with a few bends.I was in my Legacy Spec B ST and made it look very slow indeed.I thought they would have been faster and also he was useless around the bends.
Anyone know much or ever driven a Golf R32?

theotherphil 06 August 2005 04:24 PM

Expect to be flamed by the bunny loving tree huggers ;)

subaruwr1 06 August 2005 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by theotherphil
Expect to be flamed by the bunny loving tree huggers ;)

:luxhello:

Dark Knight 06 August 2005 04:29 PM

it might be a golf GTI with R32 bodykit....:iamwithst

wacky.banana 06 August 2005 04:30 PM

Sub,

I would google this and see what performance figures are quoted for the R32. AFAIK its an NA engine so I would expect its characteristics to be different to a turbo engine. I do think they are over hyped though, IMO.

Yes, agree with one of the posters on here, you will get slaughtered by the moral right on here in a minute for having fun on a PRIVATE dual carriageway.

WB

subaruwr1 06 August 2005 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Knight
it might be a golf GTI with R32 bodykit....:iamwithst

no, I am 100% sure it was the real thing.

cookstar 06 August 2005 04:34 PM

Ive heard good things about these.

Do you think maybe he might have just been taking it easy, due to the fact it was on a (private) road.

subaruwr1 06 August 2005 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar
Ive heard good things about these.

Do you think maybe he might have just been taking it easy, due to the fact it was on a (private) road.

Possibly.I was surpirsed at the relevent ease I passed him in a couple hundred yards but then again my spec B is no slouch.

Gutmann pug 06 August 2005 04:40 PM

driver

THOMO 06 August 2005 04:45 PM

i played with one with my old classic wrx i pulled away easily.

subaruwr1 06 August 2005 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
driver

thats my thought aswell but just wanted to ask what people thought of the golf as it looked the dogs.

cookstar 06 August 2005 04:48 PM

someone must have some performance figures to quote, I know you cant hold much to them but they would be interesting BHP 0-60 etc

Cookie

subaruwr1 06 August 2005 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar
someone must have some performance figures to quote, I know you cant hold much to them but they would be interesting BHP 0-60 etc

Cookie

found this article about them

near the bottom it mentions Scoobis

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews...2-2003551.html

davedipster 06 August 2005 04:58 PM

Googled...

R32
1512kg and 159bhp/ton
6.4sec 0-60mph
0-70mph fourth 5.8sec
0-100 16.3sec
237hp
236lb ftLb
3.2-litre V6

Nice car

scooby_matt 06 August 2005 05:11 PM

They're not all they're cracked up to be in the performance stakes, but they are nice cars. The seats alone make the car worth having.

agdodds 06 August 2005 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by subaruwr1
Just had some fun with a Golf R32 on a PRIVATE dual carriageway with a few bends.I was in my Legacy Spec B ST and made it look very slow indeed.I thought they would have been faster and also he was useless around the bends.
Anyone know much or ever driven a Golf R32?

I have owned an r32 for about three months and had to sell it due to losing my job, I disagree with your race he mustnt have been trying I had 160mph out of my (standard)r32 I have now got a wrx 51 plate and lucky to get 140 from it,when I had my r I used to enjoy off the mark races with scoobs and if I could afford another r32 I would swap the wrx without even thinking twice. my advice to you would be to find a dealer that has one pretend to be interested in it and take it for a test drive you wont be dissapointed,out of the cars i have ever owned I honestly think the scoob is very overrated in all departments you might want to have a look on tyresmoke.net and look at some of the r32 posts on there.you also didnt mention wether your car is standard or not. sorry but that is just my opinion

pete P1 06 August 2005 05:45 PM

only thing i would say to that agdodds, is that you are talking about the cream of the performance volkswagons, and your comparing it to a wrx, which no offence, but is not the cream of the subaru range. without wanting to sound offensive, maybe its you that should go to a subaru dealers and test drive the sti with ppp!!. may give a bit more of a closer comparison.

phelpsa 06 August 2005 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by davedipster
Googled...

R32
1512kg and 159bhp/ton
6.4sec 0-60mph
0-70mph fourth 5.8sec
0-100 16.3sec
237hp
236lb ftLb
3.2-litre V6

Nice car

So it gets to 70 faster than it gets to 60 ehh ;)

jasonius 06 August 2005 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by agdodds
I have owned an r32 for about three months and had to sell it due to losing my job, I disagree with your race he mustnt have been trying I had 160mph out of my (standard)r32 I have now got a wrx 51 plate and lucky to get 140 from it,when I had my r I used to enjoy off the mark races with scoobs and if I could afford another r32 I would swap the wrx without even thinking twice. my advice to you would be to find a dealer that has one pretend to be interested in it and take it for a test drive you wont be dissapointed,out of the cars i have ever owned I honestly think the scoob is very overrated in all departments you might want to have a look on tyresmoke.net and look at some of the r32 posts on there.you also didnt mention wether your car is standard or not. sorry but that is just my opinion

Fair comment given you're driving a std. bugeye wrx.;)

agdodds 06 August 2005 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by jasonius
Fair comment given you're driving a std. bugeye wrx.;)

That is absolutely true you are right in what you say it is the best there is in golf terms and the sti ppp is best in subaru terms, but in the similarities of bhp r32 being approx 240 na engine and the bugeye approx 215 turbocharged engine the r is (imo) quicker but then if you go for the sti being engine enhanced to say 300bhp and the r32 engine enhanced stage 4 amd tuned also to 310 bhp they are fu***ng rapid cant remember the exact figures and times but something like 0-60 in 4.? seconds which I think is good for a n/a engine,I dont know wether I am a bit biased because I loved the r32 but the only way I think I will like the wrx is if I get it chipped change the zorst for a better sound, leather interior, brakes, then get it resprayed cos it is a bit shabby,all of which I have thought about but dont know wether it will be a big enough improvement to want to keep it, also im 35 years old and not a chav I am starting to feel a bit embarrased having it when you see 18 year old with a metal dustbin atached to the back of the car and can hear it from 3000miles away all of which is devaluing the scoob (which dont get me wrong is an ok car) I have had for 3 months at 11000 now is only worth 7500 so any of the chavs in my area can trade their scooters in and buy a one(Im going off on one arent I ? its an age thing and has nowt ot do with r32/subaru performances) to end it all the sti ppp is lovely I have driven one and yes quicker than my r was but cant justify the insurance costs bearing in mind I was only paying 400 for the vw

SPEN555 06 August 2005 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by phelpsa

FPMSL! :D

davedipster 06 August 2005 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by phelpsa

You have won the special prize :)

It should be 50-70.

Mitchy260 06 August 2005 07:27 PM

I think he meant 30-70

kingofturds 06 August 2005 07:38 PM

r36 out next year 3.6 L 280bhp that should be interesting

lomaximus 06 August 2005 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds
r36 out next year 3.6 L 280bhp that should be interesting

Deffo can't wait to see that although it'll probably be way over weight!!! I think the golf needs to go on a diet!!!
My mate used to have a r32, your right guys it did look mean as! BUT in my P1 i used to run circles around it!!! lol i'd show you the videos but it won't let me post a link for some reason!! needless to say he now has a wr1 and not looked back! However why o why have they put 4 doors on the wr1!!!!! should be 2 and i don't care for the colour!! They should have kept the trend with sonic blue!!
Also does anyone else have a wr1 on here i was really dissappointed with the handling it understeers like a mofo!

GrollySTI 08 August 2005 12:15 PM

I've had an R32 and now own a STI PPP.

Personally, I much prefer the STI and would say that it feels much quicker (but then it should be).

However,the low down grunt of the R was awesome and made it effortless (and mechanically sympathetic) to get very quick getaways!

New_scooby_04 08 August 2005 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by davedipster
Googled...

R32
1512kg and 159bhp/ton
6.4sec 0-60mph
0-70mph fourth 5.8sec
0-100 16.3sec
237hp
236lb ftLb
3.2-litre V6

Nice car

Didn't realise it was that heavy! Nice car though, and lets face it, it's not exactly slow! :)

NS04

ScoobyJawa 08 August 2005 06:26 PM

Funny this thread should come up. I had one driving like an utter pr!ck behind me the other day, thought it was a GTi with a kit first but then saw the R32 badge.

Thing is, I was in my totally standard S14a 200SX, and the R32 was no faster at all, he was well annoyed. I'd get the initial gap, then he'd never pull it back and only did when he started breaking the speed limit when I wasn't and driving a metre off my boot, weaving about etc....
So I just stopped :p He was giving it all the mouth, signs, beeping, going bright red with anger etc, getting soooooo wound up - can't understand people like that, complete fool.

Was overall very underwhelmed with the car and its lack of pace, soon be slaying them with a few choice mods sitting in my garage :D

ForesterBoy 08 August 2005 07:03 PM

The R32 has sooooooooo much of a better image than the chav charriot scoob, not to mention the soooooo much better build quality etc.

leonpoole 08 August 2005 07:08 PM

R32's are over priced for what they are and not super fast. Personally i'd buy a V5 golf for less money and not a great deal less performance