ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   shares, any good tips at the mo, i got about 3k to invest (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/434498-shares-any-good-tips-at-the-mo-i-got-about-3k-to-invest.html)

VinPetrol 14 June 2005 01:36 PM

shares, any good tips at the mo, i got about 3k to invest

good advice would be much appreciated !

VinPetrol 14 June 2005 02:37 PM

any body ? If not i guess i'll jus have to pay off a loan i have, i jus thought i could moake a little profit b4 being senseble.

gsm1 14 June 2005 03:16 PM

Here's a good tip - Don't listen to tips (cept this one of course!)

VinPetrol 14 June 2005 03:18 PM

how much does it cost to do this through a bank, is this the best place to trade ?

...help pplease!

OllyK 14 June 2005 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by VinPetrol
how much does it cost to do this through a bank, is this the best place to trade ?

...help pplease!

It varies, you can do it online through Halifax - can't remember their "share trading web name". Hargreaves Lansdown do a pretty good deal too IIRC.

delbert 14 June 2005 03:25 PM

any body ? If not i guess i'll jus have to pay off a loan i have, i jus thought i could moake a little profit b4 being senseble.

you could invest in english spelling lessons :norty:

sorry im that way out today

VinPetrol 14 June 2005 04:01 PM

sniff sniff

Luan Pra bang 14 June 2005 04:10 PM

How much interest on the loan ? If you are confident that you can earn more on the 3k than you pay interest on the loan then invest. If not which seems to be the case then don't bother. Even for experts trading shares is risky unless you are looking for long term investments.

VinPetrol 14 June 2005 04:15 PM

rekon thats good advice, thankyou !

fast bloke 14 June 2005 04:41 PM

send it to me - As a financial advisor I will look after it for you.

p.s. Can you get it here before the end of next week, as I am off to France for a month and I think investing in gallons and gallons of plonk would be a wise move

p.p.s - only do this if you think it is safe to leave me in charge of gallons and gallons of plonk :D

Kevin Groat 14 June 2005 05:04 PM

AIM market - Daniel Stewart (DAN). Good results announced yesterday, mentioned in most of the worthy newspapers yesterday/today. Company is a finance broker for small companies, companies coming to the AIM are their speciality and the AIM market is expanding rapidly.

As AIM co's go this is a pretty 'safe' investment.

And yes I do own some of these but as always - dyor (do your own research)

I have an on-line account with Selftrade and dabble with mostly AIM or small caps for a bit of fun - 3K is perfect for this. Register for ADVFN and spend a few nights on the free BB getting to know the regulars on some of the more active threads.

Jonathan Davies 14 June 2005 05:25 PM

Your loan rate - the rate you're paying - is very likely higher than any relatively safe return on investing. Unless you find a genuine inside tip somewhere (which would of course be illegal to act on) I reckon you should either (i) pay the loan or (ii) pay half the loan, put 25% in a risky aim stock - oil independents are fashionable - spend an eighth and put an eighth on the 3.30 at York tomorrow.

Easy quick buck investing is a thing of the past... think of it as a gamble if you do it at all - i.e., do research and consider the odds but assume you'll need a bit of luck to make money.

I'd pay the loan if it was me. Or spend it.

VinPetrol 15 June 2005 01:12 PM

thanks for tha advice everyone!

I had pretty much decided to pay off the loan an save all the hastle by last night, so i called up the loan co, an asked how much i would save by paying it off early, i was ver suprised to hear that i would be saving £250 ish in total by settleing early !

I though it would be way more, which now makes me think about investing an tellin the bank to shove it up their as$es.

cactus jim 15 June 2005 01:59 PM

ubet2win seems to be a company worth investing. you heard it here first!!

Jonathan Davies 15 June 2005 02:23 PM

You can save £250 - how much do you think you'll make investing 3 grand? Interest rates are, what, 5%? So your £3k in a bank for a year would get you, say, £150. You can make more money but the risk will be higher... and the 250 you could save is risk-free.

This isn't the 90s - share values rarely go ape**** these days. If you made 500 notes on 3k you'd be doing well - don't think there's a low risk way of geting that kind of return.

cactus jim 15 June 2005 02:53 PM

<cynical mode> yeah there is, your all too defeatest.

Buy 3 grand worth of rubbish and sell it on ebay. that would net you far more
in return, very low risk.

current favs:-

rare nike trainers - buy abroad and sell here.
medicom/kubrik and crap japanese toys.
anything with a gorillaz logo
old clothes - esp designer - for the tk maxx brigade
all your old cd's, burn them to itunes and then sell them individually
mobile phones - as soon as you get a free upgrade, take it and sell it all the suckers that have lost theirs and cant get another upgrade for a year!

its a veritable goldmine if you are prepared to do about 5 secs worth of typing!!

if not resort to drugs and downloaded movies. almost zero risk these days!!

VinPetrol 15 June 2005 03:09 PM

iv actluey got 26 weeks to pay it back, not a year, does this make much difference to what youve said ? is it best to play the stock market over a longer period of time or shorter ?

VinPetrol 15 June 2005 03:11 PM

ha ha jus read the ebay post, prob a very good idea me thinks !

DanTheMan 15 June 2005 03:18 PM

todays top tips:

BTG (today -.3%) 164.5
Flintstone TC (today +2.08%) 12.25
Gaming corp (today +6.9%) 15.5

Deep Singh 15 June 2005 06:19 PM

Spend it on some champagne, hookers and Charles

Luan Pra bang 16 June 2005 01:11 AM

use it to buy t shirts from Thailand, t shirt is 30 pence 27.5 percent import duty is 38p. £3000
is 7894 t shirts sell for 80 pence each gets £63157.89 two grand for shipping and storage costs leaves a tidy profit. Just don't buy any small t-shirts. ;)

Old_Fart 16 June 2005 08:28 AM

Are you saying the loan has only 26 weeks left, and if you pay it off early you save £250? That's like 16%ish annualised :eek: Pay off the loan!
It's best to play the market over the long term 5+years. Of course you could get lucky quicker...but that could be good luck or bad...for every person who doubles their money someone else halves theirs..
Cman

IN THE STICKS 16 June 2005 11:23 AM

As old fart says above pay off the loan , if someone offered me a firm 8.3% on 3 grand over 6 months (which is about what your £250 saving works out at )I'ld have their arm off . Remember some very basic advice 'don't invest money in the market you can't afford to loose' and I gues you can't afford to loose your £3000 , you'll sleep better at night then :thumb:

VinPetrol 16 June 2005 11:54 AM

oooh bugger, sorry guys, i meant months not weeks !!!

idiot !!

IN THE STICKS 16 June 2005 12:04 PM

oooh bugger, sorry guys, i meant months not weeks !!!

idiot !!

works out about 3.7 % per year then , so not fantastic

Henrik 16 June 2005 02:20 PM

ING Direct do a 5% AER savings account. AFAIK, there are no fees for withdrawals etc either, so it seems like a good deal to me.