ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   'Illegal' Exhaust (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/421548-illegal-exhaust.html)

Iain McLaren 14 July 2005 03:11 PM

Not quite there yet...more discussion required, apparently...

Originally Posted by T5NYW
I hope they resolve this for you ;)

it does seem strange that's "Legal" Car in the UK and EU ;) can be made "Illegal" by Scotish bylaw :rolleyes:

I wonder if the "Uk" made a law that "No cars may be altered ANY way after Prodution" this would kiss goodbye to all manufactures Optional extras.

Tony

+Doc+ 14 July 2005 04:25 PM

Wont it be an @rse if it comes out of Subaru with a peashooter and an apology from Prodrive ;D
Only joking, absolute laughable situation, glad you had the time and effort to stand up to these idiots in blue.

Iain McLaren 10 August 2005 08:20 AM

Problem solved.....

Hi,

Just heard that the Impreza should be returned today, complete with its own (ie original) PPP exhaust system.

Apparently Subaru have had the top lawyers and QCs of the land on the case. We've not been told the details, just that if the problem happens again (or to anyone else) the message is to contact Subaru who will get it sorted.

So...a bit of an anti-climax, but it sounds like they've got it all in hand.

Now...who's up for driving up and down past Northern Constabulary HQ in PPP-spec'd Imprezas??? :norty:

Cheers,

Iain

FrenchBoy 10 August 2005 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Iain McLaren
Hi,

Just heard that the Impreza should be returned today, complete with its own (ie original) PPP exhaust system.

Apparently Subaru have had the top lawyers and QCs of the land on the case. We've not been told the details, just that if the problem happens again (or to anyone else) the message is to contact Subaru who will get it sorted.

Now...who's up for driving up and down past Northern Constabulary HQ in PPP-spec'd Imprezas??? :norty:

Cheers,

Iain

Thats great news mate! :thumb:
A rare triumph for the motor enthusiast.

StickyMicky 10 August 2005 09:10 AM

now contact the papers and shame them skirt wearing ginger pubed scottish police men ;)

tbh i actually like scottish people as a rule but the above made me laugh :p

andyfish 10 August 2005 09:48 AM

Hi,

Cheers,

Iain

Congratulations Iainhttp://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/images/icons/icon14.gif

Well done Subaru, good to see a bit of good old fashioned customer service at the top of the agendahttp://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/images/icons/icon12.gif

Andy

MTR 12 August 2005 10:59 AM

Hi,

Cheers,

Iain

Iain,
The response is a little bit vague, as you point out, but if Subaru UK will sort out any future problems for owners then that must be seen as a positive thing.

Given that your dads car is being returned in original spec, then surely it must be completely legal?

If Subaru's idea of 'sorting it' is to pay the fines, then I think that is extremely poor service.
If an owner is continually reported for excessive noise/nuisance, their car can be confiscated, with NO financial recompense.

Cheers
MTR

wacky.banana 12 August 2005 11:10 AM

MTR,

Why don't you contact Subaru direct to ascertain their position on this? I assume you have an interest here, ie you own/drive a PPP converted car? Iain seems to be be content with what has been offered (my assumption, admittedly), its now up to anyone else with issues to pick up the cudgels.

That approach/strategy may well be worth the while if it highlights to Subaru that there are concerns out there about a product derivative.

Moray 12 August 2005 11:15 AM

This thread is getting boring now. I am none the wiser since this thread started.

ScoobyDawg 12 August 2005 11:31 AM

TESTING THE NOISE FROM THE EXHAUST

Just a pointer, the officer should be qualified in the use of the equipment and any equipment should be approved by the HO(hehe makes me laugh every time). Furthermore, the equipment should be have a test cerificate with it to say that it was servicable, it had been calibrated on ***** date, as these items can be knocked about abit. Non-Compliance of the above could be classed as incorrect proceedure.

If the office was revving your pride and joy, did he check the oil and water prior to conducting a high revving test (an action that all good garages conduct) and if HE caused any damage to your car would the Chief Constable authorise payment for the repairs or will the Police officer be liable. I ask this as you would have been driving your car when stopped and the engine would have been warm, static revving (Did he red line it) with no independant cooling fan plus possible heat soak can damage the engine.
This may be too late now to complain. Remember there are way to complain and even the Police answer to higher authorities. (Just like, can a Police vehicle exceed the speed limit when not responding to an incident or fail to give way even when using blues lights and siren. Not in this country)

Though its good to see that the Police are stopping performance car drivers!!!, its a pity that their drive and determination cant be directed towards REAL CRIME, instead.

Dawg

Iain McLaren 14 August 2005 10:11 AM

This does not seem to be the case. Subaru have spent a lot of money preparing a legal case that will be presented in defence against anyone who may have this problem in future.

I presume they're not releasing details because:

a) They paid our FPN so there is no current case to be answered,
b) It would give their game plan away,
c) Possible issues regarding confidentiality re other manufacturers.

So, if you've got an Impreza with a Prodrive exhaust, you can sleep easy. However, if you've got a 3rd party system I doubt Subaru will be obliged to help - so maybe it's time for someone to start querying the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers...

Originally Posted by MTR
Iain,
If Subaru's idea of 'sorting it' is to pay the fines, then I think that is extremely poor service.
If an owner is continually reported for excessive noise/nuisance, their car can be confiscated, with NO financial recompense.

Cheers
MTR

warrenm2 14 August 2005 11:01 AM

b) It would give their game plan away,

WTF you on about? The law is the law - its not a "game". If they can prove the law is being implemented incorrectly or is unlawful in some other way then it should be public. If that results in a law change, then they'll just have to think of something else

Iain McLaren 14 August 2005 05:18 PM

<Shrug> It's just what I heard the QCs recommended. If they release their defence to a case that hasn't even happened yet, Plod and/or the prosecution service will change the charges (or whatever) to assure a successful conviction.

I ain't no legal expert, I'm afraid...

Originally Posted by warrenm2
WTF you on about? The law is the law - its not a "game". If they can prove the law is being implemented incorrectly or is unlawful in some other way then it should be public. If that results in a law change, then they'll just have to think of something else

Luminous 14 August 2005 05:25 PM

I agree with you Iain, the defence never reveals their arguments until they have to. Increases their chance of success. Then if they win, it will set a precident :)

STI Craig 14 August 2005 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2

yeh but its taking the piss with a ppp exhaust they aint that loud

they just have it in for us !!!!!
easy money for them, as well.

craigdmcd 14 August 2005 07:06 PM

Well at least I can rest easy now while I'm travelling through to Ullapool to see the Outlaws in the wife's 04 WRX PPP. I always did rest easy in the Leggy GT-B with an exhaust that is easily twice as loud as the WRX, for the simple point that they have no point of reference since the car is a Grey Import - "Can I ask what model your base readings are taken from Officer???"