ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   A tired 205Gti 1.9 (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/411757-a-tired-205gti-1-9-a.html)

LongTimeLurker 16 March 2005 01:39 PM

A tired 205Gti 1.9

I'll probably fire a similar thread to 205gtidrvs but with seemingly plenty of ppl using them as trackday cars on here thought it worth a shot here 1st.

I’ve got an 89 205 Gti 1.9 and have had the car for over 7 years now thoroughly enjoying every minute of it. The problem is it’s getting a little on the tired side with a definite lack of acceleration so want to inject a little life in to my pug to stick the smile back on my face.

Car:
Superchipped (6 years ago)
Lowered to improve the already storming handling

Otherwise pretty standard

Recently I had the following done to try and improve matters but the acceleration is still quite lacklustre compared with its previous performance.

Last service 1 month ago:
Oil + Filter change (synthetic oil)
New distribution cap
New bosch super 4 plugs
Air flow / timings setup correctly

@ 111k I had
New piston rings
Cambelt
Big ends
Valve stem oil seals.

Any recommendations for putting the car back to neck snapping acceleration? Budget of around £600 for parts.

thecirsch 16 March 2005 02:19 PM

Stripping out the interior and removing the spare wheel when taking it out on track.

Cost 0.00 :)

TheBigMan 16 March 2005 02:27 PM

If it's like that then a top end rebuild probbaly.

"Gutmann Pug" on here is very knowledgeable on these so drop him a PM, or he my post on here soon.

Top end rebuild - guesstimate of about 1k.

TheBigMan 16 March 2005 02:28 PM

....or ; they're so cheap - just buy another one. ;)

LongTimeLurker 16 March 2005 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by thecirsch
Stripping out the interior and removing the spare wheel when taking it out on track.

Cost 0.00 :)

Sorry should have said this isn't actually a track car, it's my daily runaround so need interior + spare wheel :).

Brendan Hughes 16 March 2005 03:05 PM

Buy two bags of cement for £20, put them in the back.

When you want the neck-snapping acceleration, take them out again.

Stevie.p 16 March 2005 03:34 PM

LOL:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MarkCSC 16 March 2005 04:51 PM

Have you tried using "10k boost"?

It's an engine decoker designed for cars that have done over 100k miles and I've heard some good reviews of it. Think you can get it from Halfords

matt85 16 March 2005 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Champion

It's an engine decoker designed for cars that have done over 100k miles and I've heard some good reviews of it. Think you can get it from Halfords

These can work but sometimes these deposits have actually been blocking up little holes and cracks in places meaning if you unblock them then it might be more trouble than its worth.

ALi-B 16 March 2005 05:05 PM

Make sure your acelarator cable hasn't stretched :D

Laugh at that you may, but I do know somebody who spent over a grand in performance bits on his car and still complained about it being a bit sluggish. He was not amused when he found out the cause and he didn't need to spend so much wedge...but he was more than a happy chappy when it was fixed ;)

sti-04!! 16 March 2005 05:15 PM

Put an Mi16 into the bugger ;)

Brendan Hughes 16 March 2005 05:22 PM

Ali, I always swore that my second one had been shortened by a previous owner. The first was nice, but the second was like it was on speed - REALLY sensitive.

Think I heard another technique to increase responsiveness was to shorten the air intake tube, or summat...

MadMark 16 March 2005 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Ali, I always swore that my second one had been shortened by a previous owner. The first was nice, but the second was like it was on speed - REALLY sensitive.

Think I heard another technique to increase responsiveness was to shorten the air intake tube, or summat...

But then your torque suffers ..... :)

It could be your airflow meter too - seems quite common ....
Try Peugeot Sport Owners Club
Look out for "flying205nutter" he's managed to fix quite a few of the "silly" problems ..... but he and I have just put an Mi16 in his 205 .... Engine ran straight away - but road test is this weekend! :D:D

LongTimeLurker 16 March 2005 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Champion

I’ll hunt down some more info about it, cheers :)

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Make sure your acelarator cable hasn't stretched

Laugh at that you may, but I do know somebody who spent over a grand in performance bits on his car and still complained about it being a bit sluggish. He was not amused when he found out the cause and he didn't need to spend so much wedge...but he was more than a happy chappy when it was fixed

That sounds remarkably plausible, my missus used to be scared to drive my car because she said the accelerator was so unpredictable but not these days. Something I will definitely look at, thanks :).

Brendan Hughes 16 March 2005 05:39 PM

Awaiting your new post in a few days', "Missus just crashed my car" ...

LongTimeLurker 16 March 2005 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by MadMark
But then your torque suffers ..... :)

It could be your airflow meter too - seems quite common ....
Try Peugeot Sport Owners Club
Look out for "flying205nutter" he's managed to fix quite a few of the "silly" problems ..... but he and I have just put an Mi16 in his 205 .... Engine ran straight away - but road test is this weekend! :D:D

cheers. Good luck with the mi16, it's something i've considered but its been out of my price range in the the past.

LongTimeLurker 16 March 2005 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Awaiting your new post in a few days', "Missus just crashed my car" ...

lolol :D:D:D

Big Lee 16 March 2005 08:13 PM

Have a look on here http://www.ladmotorsport.co.uk/

Gutmann pug 16 March 2005 08:16 PM

Take it to your local GOOD tuner and ask them to rolling road tune it.

Gary

miles25 16 March 2005 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug

Gary

As above, if it's been six years since its last tune it may simply just need setting up again.

LongTimeLurker 16 March 2005 10:09 PM

cheers for the link big lee.

might give the RR a bash if all else fails :)

TheBigMan 16 March 2005 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug

Gary

Err, yeah I was gonna suggest that right before I said about a top end rebuild. lol. :D

How much is a decent top end rebuild/overhaul on a 1.9 GTi?? Ish??

ellisg 16 March 2005 11:07 PM

Top end overaul, look at XU10 head replacement on 205gtidrivers forum. Basically a bigger valve head for £100

Carb cleaner is good for cleaning pipes etc and as a 10k boost replacement virtually same stuff. Optimax/BP help as well.

AFM may need a refurb, mines starting to go at 120k

Also a good damn service and tune up as mentioned.

MadMark 17 March 2005 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker
cheers. Good luck with the mi16, it's something i've considered but its been out of my price range in the the past.

LTL - Don't discount it!
We bought a nice Citroen BX GTi 16V for £240 - 90,000 miles with full service history!

The BX should be worth more than £250 when broken for scrap and so far it breaks down as follows:

16V Gearbox £50 (Shorter 1st and longer 5th Gears)
Alloy wheels £20
Electric window motors (4) £10
Air Conditioning (in this one) £50-60
Hydraulic Pump £15-20
Power steering rack £10
Driveshafts £10
Bodywork (drained of fluids - for scrap) £30
Windscreen and glass £20
Seats and trim £15
Instruments £10
Electric sunroof motor and mechanism £10
etc, etc.

On top of that - the old 1.9 Engine is worth £50+

So actually - this conversion has more than paid for itself - the only cost has been time and may have required a new clutch for the 16V Engine - but luckily this had only been in there for a few thousand miles .... :)

Good luck!
MM :D