ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Safe Engines......?????? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/377014-safe-engines.html)

WRX STI Type RA. 05 November 2004 10:31 PM

Safe Engines......??????

Guys...I have been told conflicting opinions on wether the scoob engine is the "Safe" type...IE-Will not damage in the event of cambelt failure.....
Some say....It clears the pistons....Some say ..Its adios to the pistons....Any of you guys know for sure please....???????....Kev.

little'un 05 November 2004 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by WRX STI Type RA.
Guys...I have been told conflicting opinions on wether the scoob engine is the "Safe" type...IE-Will not damage in the event of cambelt failure.....
Some say....It clears the pistons....Some say ..Its adios to the pistons....Any of you guys know for sure please....???????....Kev.

Sometimes you can be very lucky - stick a new belt on and away you go!

3 out of 5 I've seen have had bent valves though :(

This is definately not a 'safe' engine

tweenierob 06 November 2004 03:05 AM

Agree, pistons and valves definately make contact.

Rob

stockcar 06 November 2004 08:33 AM

just to throw an odd one in.................recently had a cry of help from one of my "rally" customers............over ambitious speeds, aquaplaning and Large bale of hay had made a considerably good re-style job!!!!!!!!

wouldn't restart, timed her up and was well out on the crank pulley...............feared the worst and was needing a "top-end" overhaul anyway so was promptly stripped....................not a mark, contact anywhere!!

runs puuuurfect rebuilt........................

alyn - asperformance.com

Leslie 06 November 2004 11:50 AM

It just depends where the crankshaft is when it happens in relation to the cams. You are very lucky to get away with it. I had a cambelt failure on a 2 litre Capri once, walked back to the Ford garage, bought a new belt and fitted it by the roadside. The engine was undamaged and ran perfectly. Would not want to guarantee it is always like that though. Maybe the engine was a "safe" one.

Its is so expensive if the valves hit the pistons that it is worth getting a belt change if you are not sure, with am OEM or Gates belt too-not a cheap version.

Les

Iwan 06 November 2004 11:59 AM

Ditto what Leslie says, occasionally people are lucky and get away with it. I had one snap on a 1 year old Fiat Tipo 1.4 once, it bent every valve. :(

Incidentally, what a hatefull car that was...

WRX STI Type RA. 06 November 2004 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan
Ditto what Leslie says, occasionally people are lucky and get away with it. I had one snap on a 1 year old Fiat Tipo 1.4 once, it bent every valve. :(

Incidentally, what a hatefull car that was...

Thanks a lot guys for your replies...I thought that damage would be done in the event of cambelt failure....But it looks also,That you could be lucky on the very odd ocassion..Cheers...Kev.

jjones 06 November 2004 07:33 PM

the belts are known to jump a tooth or two on reasonable frontal impacts.