ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Horizon - BBC2 now - how unbelievably stupid are some people... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/376839-horizon-bbc2-now-how-unbelievably-stupid-are-some-people.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 04 November 2004 09:19 PM

Horizon - BBC2 now - how unbelievably stupid are some people...

thinking that they could bring their son up as a girl ffs - nurture over nature??? :cuckoo: How thick can some people be? As for the scientist, well to conduct such an experiment on two children is disgusting, the bloke should have been locked up :mad: scientific experiments on children? How low can scientists go just to prove their ideas? :iamwithst

Markus 04 November 2004 09:43 PM

Where were these people from? I don't know why, but I get the feeling it's going to be the US, dunno why.

I feel sorry for the kid, (s)he's going to need quite a bit of therapy to deal with this, if (s)he can at all.

Bravo2zero_sps 04 November 2004 09:53 PM

Markus it was Canada, the bloke killed himself earlier this year at the age of 38 after his brother had killed himself in 2002 as neither could handle what had happened in their childhood. A very sad story :( and one that shows how far scientists will go :mad:

johnfelstead 04 November 2004 09:53 PM

He committed suicide. What a sad story.

Markus 04 November 2004 09:57 PM

It's sad to hear he killed himself, poor chap must have been totally messed up. There are some things you should not research and this is one of them. I can't see any real benefit to the world at large from this research project, apart from attempting to further the carrear of some scientist who really needs a swift injection of ebola.

** edit **

Canada eh? now that is interesting, I'll have to do a little digging into this. Don't suppose you have the name of the scientist to hand do you?

Markus 04 November 2004 10:03 PM

Just reading the horizon website on this.

So, kids and parents were Canadian (born in winnipeg), from the looks of the article (once a year they would visit Dr Money in Balitmore) the Dr was a yank.

I think the parents should be ashamed of what they did, as well as the Dr. How could a parent really do that to a child? ok so his penis was burnt off, but that doesn't mean he had to be raised a girl.

Bravo2zero_sps 04 November 2004 10:05 PM

Markus to to shed a little light on why it happened, when he was a baby the parents decided to have him circumcised, but it went wrong and they literally burnt his penis off, and because they didn't know what to do his parents were persuaded to bring him up as a girl as they were convinced nurture would win over nature - something I simply find impossible that anyone could really believe! The experiment led by this scientist went drastically wrong and ended up with both the boy and his brother comitting suicide later on in life :(

The scientist is the one to blame as he was the one who fooled the parents into believing what he was saying was the best way forward.

Bubba po 04 November 2004 10:06 PM

Each to their own.

Bravo2zero_sps 04 November 2004 10:07 PM

Tell me about it, absolutely horrified anyone could really think what they did was for the best, they were basically gullable and foolish and believed everything the scientist told them. They just weren't all there to do what they did to their sons.

Markus 04 November 2004 10:07 PM

Bob, do agree with you, having now read the article on it, think the closing statement sums it up:

Dr Money argues that he cannot be held to blame because David did not accept a female gender identity. He says that the family delayed making a decision until their son was almost two, just before the gender gate was about to shut. Others, however, argue that he could have admitted he made a mistake when the case clearly was not working, for he continued to let people believe that it had been successful long after he had stopped seeing Brenda and she had become David. It is, perhaps above all, a cautionary tale of what may happen when a scientist falls in love with a beautiful theory and ignores the ugly facts.

Looks like another chip in from scoobynet to hire a hit on a yank :D lol

ALi-B 04 November 2004 11:18 PM

Also a little insight of how this never needed to have happened- in America and Canada the public are led to believe that male children need to be circumcised for no real reason (medical or religious) for sake of "hygiene".

If this medically unfounded brainwashing hadn't have happened then the case of what happened to Brian, Benda or whatever would never have happened. - Unless they were Jewish, or there really was a true medical condition, which apprently, in most cases are wrongly diagnosed anyway.

Bravo2zero_sps 04 November 2004 11:28 PM

Ali couldn't agree more, as far as I am concerned doing that to a baby for any other reason than medical necessity is abuse, even for religion. If they want to have their knob messed with out of their own choice/religious reasons then let them make that choice when they are old enough to make it, not make the choice for them as soon as they come into this world :mad: If nature decided having a foreskin was dangerous then we would have never have developed one in the first place ffs. If they had left their son alone when he was born him and his brother would be alive now :rolleyes: