ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/)
-   -   If Portugal win Euro 2004....... (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/340776-if-portugal-win-euro-2004-a.html)

imlach 01 July 2004 01:36 AM

If Portugal win Euro 2004.......

....will England claim they really won the competition, as England were the ones who who should have progessed instead of Portugal?

...forgive my thoughts, but just speculating on the nonsense we'll hear coming out of John Motson's mouth come Sunday's final :D

Audi-Boy 01 July 2004 01:43 AM

England would have won it, only an act of god would have stopped us; well, I say an act of god, or a perfectly good goal that's dissalowed would do quite the same! :mad:

England are the real champs of Europe, the last 4-2 was no competition.

imlach 01 July 2004 01:48 AM

So if England are the real champs, why is it that they last won a trophy an incredible 38 years ago :D

Surely "champion" teams win more often???? :D

PS I'll disregard your comments on the referee. He was doing his job. It hardly warrants death threats, mistake or not.

scoobyvirgin 01 July 2004 01:50 AM

I must have missed this perfectly good goal. Gutted we went out but the ref was right. (Bugger)

I don't want Portugal to win though, I think they've had enough luck as it is.

scoobyvirgin 01 July 2004 01:59 AM

What ability? We need to pass more and be more defensive. Maybe you should play for England Audi-boy as you always seem to be on the defense.

PG 01 July 2004 07:02 AM

Ian Wright said that he wanted them to win purely for that reason ! :rolleyes:

TelBoy 01 July 2004 07:40 AM

When do the World Cup qualifiers start? :)

Old_Fart 01 July 2004 08:08 AM

I'll put my hand up to the RTM re Audiboys death threats and swearing.
C

Redkop 01 July 2004 08:17 AM

Done now C

MooseRacer 01 July 2004 08:37 AM

As did I, how many more times though?

fast bloke 01 July 2004 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by imlach
....will England claim they really won the competition, as England were the ones who who should have progessed instead of Portugal?

...forgive my thoughts, but just speculating on the nonsense we'll hear coming out of John Motson's mouth come Sunday's final :D

You mean the way Scotland claimed to be world champions when they beat the current world champions in 1967?

Daryl 01 July 2004 09:15 AM

just speculating on the nonsense we'll hear coming out of John Motson's mouth :D

Don't get me started! Motson and the ITV commentator Clive Tyldesley are both awful. I just want them to call the game, the pundits can give us their opinions (for what they're worth :rolleyes: ) at half/full time!

If you actually listen to what they say (I try and shut it out :)) it's just banal crap, spewing forth in an over-excited rant.

They should both take a lesson from Martin Tyler on Sky.

Daz34 01 July 2004 10:09 AM

So if England are the real champs, why is it that they last won a trophy an incredible 38 years ago :D

PS I'll disregard your comments on the referee. He was doing his job. It hardly warrants death threats, mistake or not.

So you don't subscribe to the 1967 Scottish World Champions theory then? ;)

popeye 01 July 2004 01:58 PM

I think you'll find that whilst dissapointed, most England fans have gotten over it. About time you did isn't it?

messiah 01 July 2004 03:15 PM

I think it's rigged for portugal to win - I quite fancy putting a bet on that greece will beat the czechs tonight on a few dodgy refereeing decisions.

imlach 01 July 2004 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by popeye
I think you'll find that whilst dissapointed, most England fans have gotten over it. About time you did isn't it?

Let's just see come Sunday will we :D
I'll look out for comments on here, and also pretty much guaranteed Motson will mention it :D

Gidney&Knowlesy 01 July 2004 05:08 PM

WTF that Audiboy was sure fast......he's completly gone just leaving us Scooby Owners in his dust.... ;)

camk 01 July 2004 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Audi-Boy
England would have won it, only an act of god would have stopped us; well, I say an act of god, or a perfectly good goal that's dissalowed would do quite the same! :mad:

England are the real champs of Europe, the last 4-2 was no competition.

I could understand this if England played well, but they were rubbish and it was NOT a goal. The best team won on the night.

camk 01 July 2004 08:51 PM

Actually England have only ever been in 1 final and that was against Germany in 66. What about that goal that never was in that final, don't hear much about that these days. ;) Not in the Sun anyway

popeye 01 July 2004 11:45 PM

Let's just see come Sunday will we :D
I'll look out for comments on here, and also pretty much guaranteed Motson will mention it :D

Who gives a toss what John Motson says or doesn't say? I was refering to the fact that most England fans have probably gotten over it, where as you're still banging on about it. Makes you look a tad bitter and jealous.

Delboy2 02 July 2004 11:11 AM

I think it's rigged for portugal to win
I think you prolly are right there M8 - Some very 'Friendly' Ref's have looked after their games :D Funnily enough very similar to watching Porto's progression in the Champions League :D and they won it lol

messiah 02 July 2004 12:35 PM

UEFA should look at their system of selcting ref's - a swiss ref should not have been in charge for a match where a team had just eliminated his home country. Nor should a ref be in charge where the winning team is likely to play his home country.

Ted Maul 02 July 2004 01:22 PM

so how much did you bet on the greeks then messiah?

imlach 02 July 2004 02:14 PM

Who gives a toss what John Motson says or doesn't say? I was refering to the fact that most England fans have probably gotten over it, where as you're still banging on about it. Makes you look a tad bitter and jealous.

Bitter? Jealous? Good grief, what makes you think that? I don't really take much interest in football generally....

What have I got to be bitter or jealous about????

You doth protest too much my son :D

popeye 02 July 2004 03:45 PM

Bitter? Jealous? Good grief, what makes you think that? I don't really take much interest in football generally....

What have I got to be bitter or jealous about????

You doth protest too much my son :D

Errmm.. wasn't it you that started this thread, which was clearly intended to be yet another moan about England? Seriously - get over yourself.

messiah 02 July 2004 03:51 PM

unfortunately, I bet bog all on the greeks.

anyone know what the odds were?

imlach 02 July 2004 04:46 PM

Errmm.. wasn't it you that started this thread, which was clearly intended to be yet another moan about England? Seriously - get over yourself.

Who's moaning?
You're the one getting all upset over it :D

Don't take it so seriously.......calm down man! :D

imlach 02 July 2004 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by messiah
unfortunately, I bet bog all on the greeks.

anyone know what the odds were?

100-1 to win at the start IIRC.

Ted Maul 04 July 2004 12:48 PM

I had a feeling that a 'lesser' team would go a long way in this tournament, so I put big money on......Bulgaria! doh

imlach 05 July 2004 12:55 AM

Well, Portugal didn't win, yet my point has been proven :

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=341876

:D