ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Burble on a sport? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/326422-burble-on-a-sport.html)

Scooby_Sport 10 May 2004 12:32 PM

Burble on a sport?

Hi all

I've got a little wait before I get my hands on my very own turbo but in the meantime I'd like my sport to sound nicer.

How much difference will it make to put on a h&s backbox? I'm kinda hoping for the nice flat 4 burble but is this realistic just changing the backbox and on a sport? :confused:

Scooby_Sport 10 May 2004 12:34 PM

Forgot to mention that with a standard box compared to a turbo, it just sounds pants! :mad:

mart360 10 May 2004 12:38 PM

the burble is there, just needs to be unleashed!!!

i have a GL N/A car inside the burble is nice, but on the outside.... unless you are right by the rear box..nada

let me know how you get on.....

mart

Scooby_Sport 10 May 2004 01:44 PM

I ain't got a burble at all! maybe very slightly on idle but thats it.

SC008Y_MAD 10 May 2004 02:07 PM

On a Sport with a N/A engine you will not be able to get the flat four burble, unless u get a turbo manifold and something to go instead of the turbo to link the manifold to the up/down pipe. because the N/A engines have equal lengh manifolds unlike the turbo's that have un-equeal manifolds. If you put a fill sports exhaust system and a lest say a Blitz Nur spec back box u might beable to get a small rasp from the exhaust, but nothing compared to a real turbo's flat four rumble. sorry. :(

hope this helps:confused:

fivepint 10 May 2004 02:08 PM

the usual suspects (H&S< SS <TSL etc) will release the burble even on a NA motor, go for it, dont expect any performance increase but defo for the aural pleasure :D

mart360 10 May 2004 09:02 PM

scoo8y mad

beg to differ... the N/A gl has a layout similar to a leggy... the manifolds join the cat in a y formation, but one pipe is longer due to the shape admittedly not a huge increase but enough to upset the normal flow of gasses hence the burble....

based on your theory (no offense) my saab 900 should not have had a burble, as it had an equal length manifold .... and exhaust....

but burble the 900,s do

mart

Matt_Turbo_2000 11 May 2004 11:37 AM

I thought the burble is because it is a turbo engine and the exhaust layout, I have heard a sport and it hasnt got a rumble to it at all it's more raspy.

Paulo P 11 May 2004 12:08 PM

My sisters sport has a group N backbox and that burbles like a turbo :)

fivepint 11 May 2004 12:38 PM

Alot of Scoobs here in ireland are NA due to insurance, most have the burble, i reckon a decent backbox will release it...

SC008Y_MAD 11 May 2004 01:02 PM

me and my mate who brother has an import WRX and were discussing what makes a burble on a turbo and found out that they have un-equeal manifolds, but a sport does not - it has a equal manifolds?? well thats the answer that we came to anyway.

sc00by555 11 May 2004 01:26 PM

Get a Ninja, definitive burble on a Sport or Turbo. No question. :D

Paulo P 11 May 2004 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
me and my mate who brother has an import WRX and were discussing what makes a burble on a turbo and found out that they have un-equeal manifolds, but a sport does not - it has a equal manifolds?? well thats the answer that we came to anyway.

I understand that it's the manifolds that cause this but I'm unsure what the manifolds are like on a sport :o

Bottom line is:

With a decent backbox they do. Don't know why, don't care why ;)

WRXPete 11 May 2004 08:03 PM

The Ninja should work on th NA....my adivce?? Save hard and get the turbo!! Or do what i did and ask the bank manager nicely and borrow the money and buy a turbo tomorrow!!!

DEEDEE 11 May 2004 08:06 PM

I had a Magnex Back Box on my old Sport and it sounded great, go for it you will love the sound.

Rusty. 11 May 2004 08:49 PM

I had a Hayward and Scott 4.5" Afterburner backbox and straight through centre from Scoobyworld on my old MY00 Sport and it burbled proper...it was even known to pop a little :D

Paulo P 12 May 2004 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by WRXPete
The Ninja should work on th NA....my adivce?? Save hard and get the turbo!! Or do what i did and ask the bank manager nicely and borrow the money and buy a turbo tomorrow!!!

What helpful advice :rolleyes: