ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Do you chip and pin? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/317247-do-you-chip-and-pin.html)

Regacy 07 April 2004 10:50 AM

Do you chip and pin?

As it says. Just got my new card through, it sounds like a good idea but I'm yet to find a shop that is geared up to accept pin numbers..........
Anyone else?

dbm 73 07 April 2004 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Regacy
As it says. Just got my new card through, it sounds like a good idea but I'm yet to find a shop that is geared up to accept pin numbers..........
Anyone else?

I work for one of the banks that first thought of this, its really a good idea!

dbm

farmer1 07 April 2004 10:59 AM

I shall be if they ever send me a card.

As many of you know I am 16 and have only recently got a solo card. On the 6 occassions I have used my card in shop they have passed me back my card before giving me the receipt to sign. Which I find very worrying that should I have lost my card somebody could have easily used, since nobody ever seems to check the signatures.

Spoon 07 April 2004 11:04 AM

Questions.

With a signature required you could take the slip to the person and get him/her to sign it then go back to the till.

With this pin idea are you restricted to having to be at the till at all times to punch in your pin?

Also, how will phone purchases be any different as not even a signature was required?

OllyK 07 April 2004 11:09 AM

Wilkinsons have the PIN machines.

The problem to me is that people were too damn idle to check signatures properly. My signature is not easily forged but the damn thing doesn't fit on the signature strip so you only get about the middle 1/5th of it anyway.

4 digit PIN's not that hard for people to look over your shoulder etc etc, it happens at cash points already and rather than sorting the problem out then introduce the system that they know to be faulty to yet more places. PIN and Signature, maybe, but PIN only? Bad idea

Nicci 07 April 2004 11:30 AM

I found Tesco's, the Post office and Halfrauds accept it.

An increasing number of stores will change to the new scheme. Its going to take a while though.

As mentioned in an earlier thread, Northampton have used chip for almost a year and hardly any of our shops have the chip machines.

Dracoro 07 April 2004 12:12 PM

All for it. Yeah it's not foolproof but it's a lot better. If your wallet gets stolen or lost then they can't use the cards if everywhere demands a pin.

I'm just amazed that it's taken this long. Most the rest of the developed world has had the pin system in place for donkeys years.

ChrisB 07 April 2004 12:17 PM

I'm just amazed that it's taken this long.
There's plenty of hoops to jump through for C&P approval.

Different banks have different processes and lead times. HSBC want to individually test each installation at present... taking 10 days per site :eek: That's after you've waited at least 10 weeks for them to process your application!

Boro 07 April 2004 03:40 PM

I heard a report on the radio that France uses Chip&Pin and it reduced fraud by 80%.

Also, it doesnt come into effect until 2005 IIRC and even then its not compulsory for the retail outlet to request it but if the card IS used fraudulantly then its down to the retailer to make the loss NOT the card company.

All in all, a good thing as far as i can see.

dharbige 07 April 2004 03:50 PM

PIN numbers will be the norm from 1 January 2005. Fallback to signature will be allowed as the merchant's discretion, but the transaction may then be rejected by the card issuer (unlikely in the initial stages).

Originally Posted by dbm 73
I work for one of the banks that first thought of this, its really a good idea!

Which bank? And when did they "think of it"?

Suresh 07 April 2004 05:18 PM

We can Chip and PIN all over the place here in Holland, especially where you see the sign "U kunt hier pinnen". Chipping is great for paying at parking meters.

Not the electronic utopia you would think though. Had a nightmare transaction concerning a double debit of SEVEN HUNDRED quid a few months back. Got it solved and money refunded within a couple of days, but that's not the point. The written apology and explanation are still in the post apparently...

Just be careful out there and check your Bank statements!

Suresh

Brendan Hughes 07 April 2004 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Suresh
especially where you see the sign "U kunt hier pinnen".

Direct and to the point, those Dutch. "PIN here, you k*** "

Bravo2zero_sps 07 April 2004 06:06 PM

LOL I went into Safeways last night for the first time in ages and went to pay and the cashier stuck the little device in my face and said type your pin number in please. Me not knowing anything about this said im not giving you my pin now wheres the bloody paper to sign :D :rolleyes: She then mentioned I have to if I want to pay by card as its a new system and its been on TV a lot, I knew nothing about it :confused:

I must be getting old as im resisting new technology :o :eek: :D *note to one's self - must watch more telly* :D

Dracoro 07 April 2004 07:23 PM

The ads are saying this is on it's way. You can sign or use yer pin. After years end, you have to use pin and not signature. Is this correct?

Bravo2zero_sps 07 April 2004 08:21 PM

Well last night I wasn't given the option, I had to use my pin.

bonkers 07 April 2004 08:31 PM

Here in the US, Debit cards you pin, Credit cards you sign; same degree of laxness when it comes to checking signatures unfortunately. I just keep track of my cards at all times and check my bank and credit card statements every month out of habit.

Funny thing is when I first came over, the buggers wouldn't give me a Debit card for a year because I didn't have a fuggin credit rating in the US! (I actually got an Amex Credit card before I got a Debit card from my bank - needless to say I punted them once I found something better)

Bonkers.