ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   I can't get used to this. May have to do one (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/299641-i-cant-get-used-to-this-may-have-to-do-one.html)

fatherpierre 05 February 2004 11:39 PM

I can't get used to this. May have to do one

This new format just isn't doing it for me. And, it seems much quieter since the change.

I'm still reserving judgement but think I'll be back less and less 'til never.

It all seems more narrow and less user-friendly to me. Sad, because this was the place I came to for a laugh, chat, argument, knowledge, etc.

Ah well, anyone got any good, alternative sites?

ALi-B 05 February 2004 11:42 PM

Your right, seem like a ghost forum :(

I was wondering if everyone had put me on their "ignore" list! ;)

Mr.Cookie 05 February 2004 11:44 PM

give it time :)

I'm also having difficulties and not reading/replying as much as normal :(

Si

Mr.Cookie 05 February 2004 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Your right, seem like a ghost forum :(

I was wondering if everyone had put me on their "ignore" list! ;)

Who said that :eek: ;) :D

mj 05 February 2004 11:46 PM

I was wondering if everyone had put me on their "ignore" list!
I can't beleive people prefer the old one, check the Poll in general.. :eek: =- bunch of fcukin dinosaurs IMHO.

where is it by the way, I need to add you to it.

:p

Scoobydick 05 February 2004 11:51 PM

It is definately quieter especially Tech' forums (...fora??)

Anyway, seems to be geared up more as a chat room than a useful place for car guru's to trade info.

Too much emphasis on the Community whatever that actually is and not enough on the Scooby's.

One non-scooby related for general chit-chat and having a wind up was enough IMHO.

You gotta look too hard for the car stuff - it should be the overwhelming flavour of the site.

I actually feel a bit of an internet geek coming on here now, not a car enthusiast looking for llike minded individuals get advice from, give tips to and have a friendly pi55 ripping session with.

The old days with Stef, Harj etc were the best even though I was just a lurker then.

fatherpierre 05 February 2004 11:55 PM

It just seems to have 'lost it' now.

And many normal 'faces' seem to have stopped bothering.

Tiggs 06 February 2004 12:15 AM

to many forums...how splitting the "community" into tiny groups helps i cant see?

David Lock 06 February 2004 12:19 AM

Screen fonts and colours hurt me. Like running in safe mode!

Nevetas 06 February 2004 12:44 AM

Certanly seems busier over at 22b.com since the move! :o :o

ALi-B 06 February 2004 12:58 AM

The colours are a bit garish

I was getting eyestrain... I ended up turning down the brightness and contrast on my screen :D

It's just plainly not as readable as the old one

tiggers 06 February 2004 01:41 AM

And the for sale forums are still a f**k up!!!

James Neill 06 February 2004 02:40 AM

I had to login again when the format changed and I wanted to post. I think you'll find that many have forgotten their password and can't be arsed posting when they see the system ask for it and can't remember.

I guess all the previous cookies don't work.

JohnMcC 06 February 2004 04:08 AM

fatherpierre, its a bit of a viscious circle though isnt it - if people who have been on here a fair while dont give things a chance to settle down then the site will be doomed.

Dont give up on SNet just because things have changed - its evolving at the moment and is a bit all over the place. Give it some time to settle down - for the For Sale debacle to sort itself out, for the site to be tweaked cosmetically, to see if things pick up over the next week or so etc...

Of course, once its been given a chance, if it still doesnt satisfy then thats fair enough - I just feel that everyone who has said negative stuff and left or threatened to has been a bit hasty - the site hasnt become terrible just because it looks a bit different and one area of the forums has changed structure (or rather is changing - it is ongoing). Surely people are more interested in the content and the banter than whether their smileys are yellow or grey, or whatever?

I dont know much about the techy stuff to do with it, but this software seems much more powerful and gives a lot more options. Things will be tweaked and redesigned over time until the majority are happy.

Bravo2zero_sps 06 February 2004 07:02 AM

Guys have a look on the polls area on the General page! Simon is trying to incorporate an option so we can set our view to that similar of SN2 for those that want the old look and feel back!

I felt the same as you over this but Simon is more than aware a lot of us old whinge bags dont like the new look and is trying his best to please everyone by the sounds of it, and to me that deserves respect (he would be perfectly in his right to tell us to get lost if we dont like it) and to give him and Shaun time to see if they can provide the option to make this skinable so we can have SN2 back :D

Get yourselves voting on those polls so you can vote for whats the most important change to you that is needed! If you dont voice your opinions on the polls then you can't complain about lack of changes that suit you.

NACRO 06 February 2004 07:07 AM

Will a copy of the old look bring back all the users who don't seem to bother anymore?

The new look is an improvement for sure but something has been lost during the transition.

ScoobyDoo555 06 February 2004 07:14 AM

It's human nature to resist change. I, for one, wholeheartedly embrace it. Although I did find it a little bit of a learning curve initially, it's SO much more powerful now. Things like colour etc are probably still be sorted out - remember what gargantuan task has been undertaken to transfer everything over to the new format :eek: Webmaster(s) have worked really hard to drag ScoobyNet into the modern age (dragging its few reluctant members kicking and screaming with it, I might add).

If people don't like the new format, then it's their choice to stay or leave.

But the key thing here is that it's not the look of the BBS that makes ScoobyNet so good - it's the members and their input

without this, there would be no ScoobyNet

Alot of the people who have posted negative comments here, have contributed so much to the BBS over the years - it would be a shame to lose that wealth of knowledge over something as petty as "I don't like the new layout" :rolleyes:

Give it a chance - IMHO it is actually very good :)

Just my 2p FWIW

Dan

apples24 06 February 2004 09:43 AM

and were the fook is the search section???? one of the best things for me bout scoobnet was the search bit, i could read posts 2 years old!! was fookin awesome

Bravo2zero_sps 06 February 2004 09:50 AM

Don't any of you read the general section and check to see whats being said? It only takes a little bit of reading to see that all your complaints are already in hand and being dealt with. Come on ffs have a read about before going where is the search section for example when on the first day of the change it was made clear that this will return but give Simon and Shaun a couple of weeks to get everything up and running.

I was one of the first to complain about the new look, but having kept an eye on the general section and whats being said I now know that the look of SN is one of the issues being dealt with so I will be patient and let them deal with everything they have to do and put up with the new colour scheme etc until the option of changing it becomes available. Have a read about guys and then post your feeling up in the relevant section if its not already been covered instead of posting here when your issues are in fact already in hand.

sammyh 06 February 2004 09:55 AM

Guys it does take a bit off getting used to, its a new forum so bear with us it will be well worth it in the long run :)

durleydude 06 February 2004 10:08 AM

I feel the same, I preferred the old Scoobynet, I have also been looking for alternative forums !

Is it still poss to add threads to favorites, coz at the mo iv been reduced to adding them to my favs on internet explorer, gets annoying.

Where did my old favs I was tracking go to ?

If it aint broke........

Dream Weaver 06 February 2004 10:10 AM

I love it, no complaints from me. The old system was too basic, but this is now much better.

Scoobynetters seem to be completely averse to change, but change is a good thing.

Try reading "Who moved my cheese". Will alter your opinion on change for good!!

unclebuck 06 February 2004 12:32 PM

Best case of fixing something that weren't broke I have ever come across. It's all too fragmented and broken up and generally ruined.

Feels like just A. N. Other BBS now. Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted. Time to move on I guess.

UB:(

fatherpierre 06 February 2004 12:35 PM

I think we should stick with it (a little longer, anyway).

It's just lost its old feel. It seems all over the place, and there aren't enough threads on the front page of each section, so threads that would have attracted a decent debate over a period of time just fall off the page and die.

TelBoy 06 February 2004 12:35 PM

Dream Weaver - you *would* say that though, wouldn't you?! Web designers love all these fancy gizmos. :)

For the majority of us, we want a straightforward, easy-to-navigate, no-nonsense car-related bbs. I think this has been overlooked and is now aimed at a different audience to the one it had.

ALi-B 06 February 2004 12:40 PM

ALi-B's contrast settings to stop me getting eyestrain (in a room with day light) to use scoobynet

Contrast: 36%
Brightness: 28%

Before it was double this!!

- luckily I don't need the computer for anything esle at the moment :D Just as well as I would'nt be able to see anything unless I set my desktop theme and acessibility options to high contrast for impaired eyesight ;)

Perhaps I should eat more carrots and take more nurofen? :p

GaryK 06 February 2004 12:44 PM

UB,

Totally agree, yes things do need to change but adding more features does not always mean things are going to be better. Its just way too cluttered now in terms of links and features. O and just found when you navigate away from the reply to thread page and come back you lose your reply!!, old SN would keep it, I found it useful for nipping back to the thread to make sure I wasn't talking complete bollox when replying.

O and personally I think phpBB is way better than vBulletin! ;)

Gary