ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   cannot believe I wasted money on PPP........ (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/252035-cannot-believe-i-wasted-money-on-ppp.html)

3times 19 September 2003 08:42 AM

when you can get this on Ebay!http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk...e/cussing2.gif

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2432590698&category=10 424

"This is a SUBARU performance modification. It is extremely easy to fit following the fully illustrated step-by-step instructions that are included.
The modification is a resistor chip that increases the power of your engine by altering the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing advance.
It will modify any standard ECU sysem by telling it that the incoming air in the intake system is cold, this advances the ignition to compensate producing more power.It does this by sending a message to the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) or O2 sensor of the engine.
This is a generic modification that will cost a fraction of what the big name companies want to charge for exactly the same product.
This will fit most fuel injected engines (non-turbo) from 1989 onwards and will add UP TO 20 BHP depending on engine size and other factors.
It is so simple to fit it can be done in less than 10 minutes and can be removed just as easily if the need arises. No tools are needed, nor is there any need to cut or solder the car's wiring at all and no damage will be made to your engine in any way.
The performance difference you will see with this modification is unbelievable!!!!! The engine is more responsive, more powerful, it will accelerate faster and have a higher top speed!
This modification will definitely increase the the power of your engine BY UP TO 20 BHP!!
IT WILL NOT DISAPPOINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The bid starts at £0.01.

I tried to paste the whole page but couldn't get it to work, or make the link clicky.http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/roflmao.gif

SiHethers 19 September 2003 08:44 AM

Yes,

And you can then say goodbye to your warranty, and probably your engine.

Edited to say - and it's only for non-turbos

[Edited by SiHethers - 9/19/2003 8:45:38 AM]

Scooby96 19 September 2003 08:44 AM

Dont go near this with a barge poll - I wouldnt touch it with yours and all that!!!

Did you read the bit, "This will fit most fuel injected engines (non-turbo) from 1989 onwards and will add UP TO 20 BHP depending on engine size and other factors"

That said I wouldnt even put it on an NA car let alone a turbo and even more let alone on a Scoob. Why the feck do you want a device that fools the MAF or other sensors - it will end in tears IMO!

3times 19 September 2003 08:49 AM

I must put more humour in my posts.

They are advertising in the Subaru section on Ebay but state that it is for 'fuel injected normally aspirated engines'

the kid in work with the XR2i may be interested though!

Edited coz I didn't read my own post properly!

[Edited by 3times - 9/19/2003 8:50:43 AM]

Scooby96 19 September 2003 09:03 AM

3times - you'll never make it as a comic - cant see ANY humour in your post.

Could be a nice little earner though - buy a huge stock then start selling them via a Nova bbs!

[Edited by Scooby96 - 9/19/2003 9:09:07 AM]

-=Buzz=- 19 September 2003 10:17 AM

it's a 1 pence resistor that you could get from Maplins.

It's a scam, and has been mentioned before on here somewhere.

:D

hixton 19 September 2003 10:23 AM

Its not a scam.
I used to work at a main dealer franchise and we were once told by the factory to fit this tiny resistor to the tempsensor 2. for flat spotting.
The o2 sensor takes care of the rest, and this system does work, only downside is a little less mpg.

Gridlock Mikey 19 September 2003 11:47 AM

Heaven forbid that there may actually be a mod out there that doesn't cost a fortune AND does what it claims.

20bhp increase for less than £20 PAH it MUST be crap.
I know, we'll all throw £1500 + at Prodrive and if the expected change doesn't occour, we'll blame the other car components :rolleyes:
Let's slag these little wonders off to make us feel better for being ripped off in the first place!

I remember the DAWES recieving the same type of welcome on this BBS until Mr Banks declared them "safe" if used properly. Now most scoobs run them. Fancy that a performance bargain for £30. How dare they :rolleyes:

Mikey :cool: <Live and let live>

-=Buzz=- 19 September 2003 11:52 AM

it's a scam in that these people are charging lets say £10 for a 1p resistor, dressed up in flowery language as some sort of technical device. It's not, its a tiny cheap electrical component.

how is that NOT a scam?

bits'n'pieces 19 September 2003 11:56 AM

i have a car i am willing to try this on, someone tell me what resistance the resistor needs to be and where to fit it and I'll try and let you know the results.

Scooby96 19 September 2003 12:02 PM

I wouldnt say that the PPP is the same thing at all:

"This is a generic modification that will cost a fraction of what the big name companies want to charge for exactly the same product."

Isnt the PPP upgrade a completely new ecu rather than a resistor?

Look at the % markup = C O N

SlowBoy 19 September 2003 12:36 PM

Enough humour in your original post mate. I was laughing after about the opening sentance of the script. :D

Project ST 19 September 2003 01:32 PM

Please don't put it on an XR2i - not another smokey, bore-washed Fiesta in the world. One's enough, and that's mine :P

All this does is cause indiscriminate overfuelling through the rev-range. Plenty of other ways to do that, and bar a re-map, none of them are worth a penny.

Enthusiastic advertising though ;)

greasemonkey 19 September 2003 02:43 PM

I used to work at a main dealer franchise and we were once told by the factory to fit this tiny resistor to the tempsensor 2. for flat spotting.
Blimey. Do you want to share the name of this franchise so the rest of us can avoid them? :eek:

Boro 19 September 2003 03:05 PM

The original post was sooooo funny how could anyone read it as serious!!!

I particularly like this...

The performance difference you will see with this modification is unbelievable!!!!!
Yeah, unbelievably CR@P!!!

For what its worth 3times, i could see the tongue in cheek approach and humour ;)

bits'n'pieces 19 September 2003 03:39 PM

It would also seem that he has developed equipment for a whole range of cars (maybe he has a maplin dicount :) :) :) )

Check this out !

http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=dk989&i nclude=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

hixton 19 September 2003 03:41 PM

Listen, if the factory gives the all clear to fit the resistor then I think they know a little more than you!

bits'n'pieces 19 September 2003 03:48 PM

oh dear... if you did this on a vtec car it would never vtec as the variable cam system does not function unless the car is warm.

bluto22b 19 September 2003 07:56 PM

>from 1989 onwards
Its not designed for an Impreza then since these werent built until 1994 :rolleyes:

Give it a miss, it sounds a load of tripe.

Boro 19 September 2003 09:10 PM

:confused:

Isnt 1994 onwards from 1989 :confused:

Maybe it would suit a sport :cool:

MMmmmmm an extra 20bhp, imagine the performance, that with clear indicators and gold wheels. Unbeatable!!!!

-=Buzz=- 19 September 2003 09:31 PM

:D

WISH I could find the original threads...

At least no one else seems to have taken the bait :)

20 bhp FORD performance mod £1.00
-
17 hours, 50 mins +
20 bhp AUDI performance mod £1.00
-
17 hours, 52 mins +
20 bhp BMW performance mod £1.00
-
17 hours, 53 mins +
20 bhp VOLVO performance mod £1.00
-
17 hours, 53 mins +
20 bhp SUBARU performance mod £1.00
-
17 hours, 54 mins +
20 bhp ROVER performance mod £1.00

[Edited by -=Buzz=- - 9/19/2003 9:36:57 PM]

Carl2 19 September 2003 10:04 PM

20bhp on a N/A engine with no other bits (filter/exhaust) I don't think so.