ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   E46 M3 V Boxster S (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/221839-e46-m3-v-boxster-s.html)

davyboy 20 June 2003 11:25 AM

M3 right?

I was a Bedford Autodrome in my mates M3 yesterday and as hard as he try he could not catch the Boxster S, even with a 1km straight! Thats an 80 bhp advantage!

Dracoro 20 June 2003 11:28 AM

Other guy was a better track driver?

car could've been modified but it'd need a lot of mods to get up 80bhp.

davyboy 20 June 2003 11:30 AM

You dont need to be a better driver in a straight line. I was expecting him to pull out and over take him.

tiggers 20 June 2003 11:33 AM

The legend of the M3 suffers another dent - hahaha!

Wasn't it Bedford Autodrome where the M3 was found to have the same lap time as the over 2 ton Porshe Cayenne and to be 4 seconds (yes 4) slower than an EVO (7 or 8 I think).

Ever thought that it may actually not be as good as it's cracked up to be - the marketing men aren't always right you know.

Regards,

tiggers.

davyboy 20 June 2003 11:36 AM

Did I mention I overtook both of them :)

And a C4S, P1, CTR ;)

Grip is king - even with just 250 bhp!

Still road legal!

dominicm 20 June 2003 11:47 AM

I did a track day at Bedford about 6 weeks ago and Tim Harvey was there in a E46 M3!
I was driving my STI RA which is pretty well set up for the track, 330bhp, Brembo brakes, uprated suspension and was quicker that every other car including an Ariel Atom, Lotus Exige, Loads of Caterfields etc!!

I couldn't overtake Tim in his M3 no matter how hard I tried, spun it twice was trying too hard....do you think the M3 was only that quick because of having a professional driver at the wheel????

Dom.

davyboy 20 June 2003 11:49 AM

Well that would make a difference!

tiggers 20 June 2003 12:19 PM

Dom,

Yes - more than you might realise.

tiggers.

turboman786 20 June 2003 12:19 PM

M3 is still the more desireable motor...

Nat 20 June 2003 12:28 PM

You running slicks davyboy? Edit to say you cant be as still road legal.....those semi-cut jobbies then? Test drove a limited edition Elise the other week with them on, amazing grip levels, far too high for the roads around Billing/Cogenhoe ;)

I've only been in an E46 M3 cabriolet and not the coupe (is there much of a speed/weight difference?) but i thought it was quicker than i remember the Boxster S being.

[Edited by Nat21 - 20/06/2003 12:34:25]

Nat 20 June 2003 12:29 PM

M3 is still the more desireable motor...
Different car entirely, if you needed a four seater you'd get the M3, if you only need two seats then the Boxster..........

davyboy 20 June 2003 12:32 PM

I am running Pirelli P Zero "C"s - effectively they are road legal slicks.

...and yes the difference they make is unreal.

I would think it gives about a 100bhp advantage.

I want to fit the M030 suspension stuff from the 968 CS on it, then a DPW and then the 300bhp upgrade. I think the car will be awesome once that has been done.

Nat 20 June 2003 12:37 PM

Sounds impressive, i've got some 'interesting' cars in the next three weeks, would be cool to meet up for a lookie/drive down the lanes :)

davyboy 20 June 2003 12:40 PM

I dont like using the tyres on the road - they dont feel very grippy unless you put some heat in them, and to put heat in them you have to drive harder than I would want on a road.

I will be taking them off the car tomorrow.

I would be happy to meet at some point though.

Gastro 20 June 2003 01:43 PM

:D

Gastro

Rich and Mini 20 June 2003 06:45 PM

Tiggers, different cars are suited to different tracks. I'm not surprised an Evo 7 or 8 is quicker than an M3 round a track. It'd make sense. For a start, an Evo 7 is about as quick as an M3 in a straight line anyway, so chuck in a few corners and the M3 is going to struggle. The Evo 7 has Active Yaw control, 4wd etc so you can literally pile into corners at loony speeds. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work it out, does it? :)

However, the M3 looks gorgeous, sounds gorgeous, has far superior build quality and you won't lose too much cash on it come resale time.

I don't think the M3 'legend' is going to suffer because someone has said a Boxster S out accelerated one, which could of been down to the drivers anyway.

Rich :)

davyboy 20 June 2003 07:03 PM

I don't think the M3 'legend' is going to suffer because someone has said a Boxster S out accelerated one
Where did it say that?

Gastro 20 June 2003 07:03 PM

Dave,

as a matter of interest - was the M3 a convertible ? - they have been reported in the press as being nothing like the coupe for handling....

Gastro

tiggers 20 June 2003 07:20 PM

Rich,

Therefore you are saying that the EVO 7 is the better performing car of the two despite the fact it is not far off half the price - right?

Trouble is most of the buying public don't understand that - they have been brainwashed by the marketing departments 'ultimate driving machine' BS.

Oh! and while we're on the subject who says the M3 looks gorgeous - it looks like a bland 3 series repmobile with bodykit and big wheels to me, but it's horses for courses I guess.

tiggers.

davyboy 20 June 2003 07:32 PM

It was a coupe.

I hope it does not come across that I am slagging the M3 off, I thought it was a superb car.

What I am suprised about is how little 80bhp more made! I honestly though we would just wait fot a straight and drive past.

:)

Rich and Mini 20 June 2003 07:37 PM

Davy, you said the M3 could not catch the Boxster, so I was presuming the Boxster was getting away? Therefore out accelerating? My mistake, sorry. Was it even then? Just the M3 was already behind?

Tiggers, you miss the point of an M3. The Evo is only meant as a performance car, it does nothing else. An M3 is a performance car, but that is not its sole purpose. It's comfortable, luxurious, looks stunning, rides well, has parts available off the shelf, or most of the time, the next morning. New M3 Coupés cost 42k, how much do new Evos cost nowadays?

Rich :)

chrisp 20 June 2003 07:46 PM

27K for an evo 8

davyboy 20 June 2003 08:01 PM

Gastro - Are you going to Walton Hall this Sunday?

si325i 20 June 2003 08:13 PM

triggers, he meant any fool can drive a evo cos you dont need no skill, the car does it all, when the M3 is a drivers car.
:)

Si

Sorry if i have been presumptuous.

tiggers 20 June 2003 08:14 PM

Rich,

I think we're going to have to disagree on this one - to me the M3 does not look stunning - it is average at best and extremely over priced for at least for what I want from a car.

I'll take the Evo VII and keep the change thanks.

tiggers.

davyboy 20 June 2003 08:16 PM

Was it even then? Just the M3 was already behind?
Thats about it, I think the M3 got a couple of car legnth or two back, over 1km - you would expect 80 bhp to do more though..........well I did anyway.

tiggers 20 June 2003 08:21 PM

si325i

So for 27K the EVO does it all whereas for 42K the M3 doesn't - hmmmm!!!! Gee let me think!!!

tiggers.

CHALKIE 20 June 2003 10:11 PM

Tiggers, My previous car was a P1, I now have an E46 M3 coupe and my only conclusion is that you get what you pay for !

tiggers 20 June 2003 10:16 PM

Chalkie,

It would have to be as otherwise you'd look pretty silly saying you paid more for the M3 and it's not as good as the P1.

BTW from here you look pretty silly!!!

Of course that is only my opinion based on what I want from a car.

tiggers.

CHALKIE 20 June 2003 10:20 PM

Tiggers. Why do you say that I look silly ?