ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   BT Home Highway questions (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/148254-bt-home-highway-questions.html)

ChrisB 11 July 2002 04:10 PM

BT do offer some sort of USB TA themselves, but I'd avoid it and go for a 3rd party product (ie Eicon) where drivers are easier to get hold of.

[Edited by ChrisB - 11/7/2002 4:11:09 PM]

Mark Miwurdz 11 July 2002 05:07 PM

Hi Puff

How's it going mate? Glad to be out of London?

Here's one I'm looking at

Thanks lads - keep 'em coming.

Cheers
Kav

[Edited by Mark Miwurdz - 11/7/2002 8:26:44 PM]

nkh 11 July 2002 10:16 PM

We use the usb connection provided by the ISDN box on the wall. I have had absolutley no problems. It has the added advantage that it is free :)

Can someone who is advocating an expensive terminal adaptor please enlighten me as to why it is better?

[Edited by nkh - 11/7/2002 10:28:43 PM]

Mark Miwurdz 07 November 2002 03:57 PM

Hi Chaps

I'm desperate for a faster internet connection at home but with no hope of our local exchange ever being ADSL enabled, I'm weighing up 2 options (neither of which is probably ideal):

1. BT Home Highway
2. Wireless connection

I've got all the info I need on option 2 but I could do with a hand on option 1.

I have 2 lines installed at home at present - one for the phone (almost exclusively used by herself) and one for internet access. I reckon we pay about £650 a year or so on both lines which includes rental etc.

On the face of it, converting to Home Highway looks a better deal financially - there's one 'all-in' package for £38 a month. I know there's a conversion charge of £79 but what else do I need? The BT website mentions the need for an internal ISDN card but it's not clear if you still need this if your PC has a USB port. An answer on this point would be handy.

I'd welcome any user experiences. I know BT is not the best loved insitution in the UK but please be as objective as possible.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Kav

ChrisB 07 November 2002 04:07 PM

Yes, you will need something for your PC.

It could be an external ISDN Terminal Adapter (connected via serial or USB), or an internal card that uses a PCI slot.

An internal card made by Eicon would be around £50 or a cheaper Asus one might be around £20 to £25.

what would scooby do 07 November 2002 04:32 PM

What the real pain is getting an ISP to work with unmetered access and ISDN (64k ok, 128K difficult) I have been using vispa, but they have now limited me to 100 hours per month @128k or 200 @64 - b4stards they are...:D

Puff The Magic Wagon! 07 November 2002 04:38 PM

& what is the "Wireless" option?

Satellite?

Just interested...

dsmith 07 November 2002 04:42 PM

New HH box on the wall has a USB port. so if the PC is within USB cable reach you dont *need* a TA.

Personally I'd avoid it like the plague and buy a decent PCI TA - like the Eicon DIVA.

Deano

Mark Miwurdz 07 November 2002 08:26 PM

Deano

YHM

Cheers
Kav

ChrisS/P1 07 November 2002 09:26 PM

I take it you can't get NTL or Telewest 512K @ £25pcm.

dsmith 07 November 2002 10:38 PM

2 things for me really.

1) prior experience with BT branded modems/TAa suggests drivers will be the bare minimum required and on-going driver development will be minimal if it exists at all.

2) I have an instinctive dislike for all things USB when mixed with anything "networky" - but then I get to play with large cisco boxes all day so I've been bought up to be snobby (and anal ;)) about it :)

Deano

Mark Miwurdz 08 November 2002 08:33 AM

Chris

'Fraid not mate - we live in a place where cable will never be laid.

Good info chaps, please keep it coming.

Cheers
Kav

dsmith 08 November 2002 10:13 AM

Deano - YHM
Cant find any ? (assuming its not you with a new webcam in their college dorm ;) )

Deano

Mark Miwurdz 08 November 2002 11:08 AM

Deano

Strange - I did it as per your profile. Even stranger (and more embarassing), I can't even remember what it was I asked you. I'll resend it from home tonight.

Cheers
Kav

hutton_d 08 November 2002 12:00 PM

Hi Mark,

Just had HH installed myself. ADSL is a no-no for me 'cos of BTs total ineptitude and arragance and crapness .... (!!!) but the HH lot were helpfulness personified. Basically I wanted faster i'net access and a second line. Previously I used the only 'phone line for dialup access as well via BTOpenworld.

Had the HH installed and the BTOpenworld dial up has not changed (the 'phone number remains the same for ISDN64 dialup) but neither has the price! Plus you also get ISDN128 as well if you want to tie up both lines for a large download. You just get charged 2 local rate calls.

You don't need anything in your PC apart from a spare USB connection if you're close enough to the box. I got an internal PCI ISDN modem and a long piece of cat5 cable. You have two digital connections on the HH box so that means I can add another machine in the future - which may be necessary if the Gfs business takes off and I can persuade her to get off my pooter .....

Anyhows, speed is generally (64K) faster than a 56K modem and more consistant. Definitely a lot more *usable*. The 128K option is (for me anyway) about 4/5 times + faster than the 56K modem. Plus for ISDN you get looged on silently (no modem beeps and crackles) and much faster - generally in less than 5 secs.

Recommended if you can't get ADSL due to BTs complete ADSL bollocks up ......

Dave

PS: pissed with BT? Moi? Nah ......

lpski1 08 November 2002 01:07 PM

i have just had HH installed mainly for work purposes, i have bought a 5m USB cable as i cannot find anything longer that reaches the sofa, i find this is working well, BT provide CD with drivers !! no problem installing on my laptop. Much faster, less connection issues. Although my ISP doesnt offer free isdn 24h dialup, only on 64k(single line) !!! they offer isdn but they only offer it at paying local rate calls, ie it will be a 0845 number around 2-3p a minute throughout the day, can work out expensive, 64k is good enough for me to browse scoobynet though, can switch to isdn for winmx and big downloads.

Mark Miwurdz 08 November 2002 02:56 PM

Dave & Ipski1

Thanks chaps - useful info!

Cheers
Kav