ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Security (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/)
-   -   Clifford alarm LED's (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/120634-clifford-alarm-leds.html)

Dyney 08 August 2002 05:30 PM

What type of LED do I need to replace the LED indicator on my alarm.
It's a Clifford concept 300!

I want to turn it clear, but flash blue;)
I've looked at Maplin's website and got very confused (and nearly bought a load of stuff I'll never use):D

Cheers,
Iain.
(Iknow I'm a tart that's why I'm dangerous!!!):p

Paul_M 08 August 2002 05:46 PM

Any 12V LED will be a straight replacement, you just need to decide on the size and brightness. Try and get a large viewing angle as well (120deg is good) so it's still clearly visible from the sides.

If you can't get a 12V one that fits the criteria just get a normal one and use a resistor in-line with one of the pins. If you need help working this out I'll let you know how it's done.

Finally remember LEDs are polarised, they won't work if connected round the wrong way.

Dyney 09 August 2002 01:53 PM

Thanks,
I'll take another look in Maplins:D

Dyney 11 August 2002 09:43 PM

Thanks Max:D

Is the 15 deg enough of a spread?

I was going to get rid of the Clifford bezel (No point advertising what alarm is fitted);) Any sugestions on what to use?

I'll have a look at Maplins again:rolleyes: tomorrow:)

Max the Clifford dealer 11 August 2002 09:49 PM

No matter whether you get rid of the clifford bezel or not, use the clear cliplite bezel I mentioned as it gives a 180 degree spread from any led. You can even flush just the front of it through a 7mm hole which looks really neat and still gives a 180 degree spread due to it's freznel rings.

Dyney 11 August 2002 10:24 PM

Had a quick look at Maplin. Looks like what I want!

Was going to use a JC25 (clear) 5.5volts
What is the voltage of the standard LED? Am I going to need to put a resistor in line?
Cheers:)

Dyney 13 August 2002 12:42 PM

BTTT :)

Max the Clifford dealer 14 August 2002 09:27 AM

Just use a regular LED, the necessary resistance is built into Clifford alarms as their output is specifically for running LEDs with. Don't use 5 or 12V LEDs or ones with internal resistance or flashing circuitry. The alarm takes care of everything.

Dyney 14 August 2002 01:01 PM

All the blue LED's are 5.5 volts!! If I can't use 5 or 12 volt Leds. What should I be using?:confused:

ScoobyDuck 16 August 2002 06:42 PM

Iain

YHM

Steve

Huxley 18 August 2002 08:42 PM

Ah yes but weren't the early clifford alarms were 12v ??

Huxley

Max the Clifford dealer 23 August 2002 09:18 AM

Dyney,

Believe me, the part numbers I gave above are the correct ones, the NR85 extreme brightness blue LED is the one to use. I've just been checking and in the last year and a half I've used over 130 of them. (I know because I've got a bundle of unused red Clifford LED's. I never throw anything away (-: ).

Just connect the anode of the NR85 to the positive purple clifford LED wire, and the cathode to the black wire. Simple as that!

Dr Pepper 25 August 2002 10:32 PM

Dyney,

Clifford have just released an "Electro Luminenescent Armed Indicator Light" from the picture it looks like it about the same size as the proximity sensor, it goes up against the front window and flashes blue!! :cool: cost about 45 squid apparently.

Be careful if you go the diy route, I wanted extra led's when I had my Clifford alarm fitted, but was told this was a no-no by the engineer because of the extra sensitive low voltage, current tampering protection circuits, so it cause fauls alarms.

Cheers, Roy.

Max the Clifford dealer 08 November 2002 09:26 PM

From Maplins, I use the NR85 15 degree 3.0cd blue led with a YH54 clear cliplite bezel, then heatshrink sleeve and glue the lot back into the clifford bezel and hey presto, a clear clifford led that flashes incredibly bright blue!

[Edited by Max the Clifford dealer - 8/11/2002 9:27:07 PM]