ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   New Vectra Ad slagging off...... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/115738-new-vectra-ad-slagging-off.html)

beefola 23 July 2002 02:21 PM

If you look in Autocar today in the Ask Suttcliffe section, you'll see a letter from me.
Beef 1
Vauxhall 0

Nice.

Beef

chiark 23 July 2002 02:36 PM

Oooh you tease. Tell us what they printed then!

ScoobyJawa 23 July 2002 02:41 PM

yeah - what does it say?!

beefola 23 July 2002 02:50 PM

Okay, and I quote:

Name: Tim Oldland

Could you please tell me what Vauxhall is doing with its current ad campaign? First the god-awful Griff Rhys-Jones ones, and now it humiliates a Hollywood actor in the dire Vectra 'courtroom' ads. Does it actually want people to buy its cars? Or is it just trying to appeal to the kind of mindless dullards that would buy a Vectra in the first place?

Answer from Sutcliffe:

Someone who knows about these things once told me that washing powder ads are all deliberately rubbish because the general public refuses to associate sharp ads with washing powders. Therefore it would be pointless making a snappy washing powder ad, because it wouldn't get the basic message accross. I think maybe the same thing applies to Vauxhalls advertising at the moment, though I don't reckon Ed Harris was told this when he signed up for the job.

There you go. Still buy Autocar this week though, fantastic Ferrari Enzo book free with it.
Beef

[Edited by beefola - 7/23/2002 2:52:01 PM]

adamm 23 July 2002 02:53 PM

I work for the company that created these ads... what can I say

Put the AD against any other brand and it would be great

Only problem is that vauxhalls are a ***** brand.. say no more.

{Edited to remove use of the P Word!. Please try to avoid it Adam. Thanks, Chris}

[Edited by ChrisB - 7/23/2002 3:17:42 PM]

carl 23 July 2002 02:56 PM

I think not, adamm. Most of it is just BS, like the 'interactive driving system' and the 'corner braking thing' (my car has brakes at each corner, too ;) ). The only genuinely original thing I've seen is the indicators that get louder, but that's hardly something to base an ad campaign on, is it?

Tiggs 23 July 2002 02:57 PM

vauxhal and pi*ey in the same sentance, can a post be more offensive ;)

Tiggs

Jon1T 23 July 2002 03:15 PM

Noooo....don't go there. It's p****net time again! :eek:

ChrisB 23 July 2002 03:27 PM

It was discussed to death, but please avoid use the term "pikey" in posts.

Thanks,

Chris.

GP 23 July 2002 03:53 PM

eh ? - isn't that just an effectionate term for a freshwater predator fish ?

as in 'awwww - lookit that huge pikey making off with that trout'

beefola 23 July 2002 04:40 PM

i must agree with GP, what is the meaning of the 'p' word? i didn't think it was too offensive, via its comedic use in 'Snatch', but i could be wrong, please enlighten me.
Beef

Dizzy 23 July 2002 04:48 PM

this HAS been done to death :rolleyes:

adamm 23 July 2002 05:04 PM

I thought "Pie Key" was Kent slang for a tramp - always has been. If I'd known this BBS was run by the Politically Correct Gestapo I wouldn't have posted it - sorry.

subaru - no longer for the hardcore - what next banning all owners of 2 door coupe's as been anti-family ??

off to the muppet section......

jonny gav 23 July 2002 07:23 PM

back to the "all new" vectra, there is an old saying-you can't polish a turd.

tweenierob 23 July 2002 07:30 PM

Bet a Pikey could polish it!!!! :D
Oops
Rob
edited due to spelling mistake... sound familiar??

[Edited by tweenierob - 7/23/2002 7:31:21 PM]

Dark Blue Mark 23 July 2002 07:38 PM

Ahh - GP - I was wondering if you were still here :D

I think the new astra looks pretty good. As long as it hasn't got underfloor neon light kit on it :rolleyes:

MB

GP 24 July 2002 10:50 AM

still 'ere me 'ole bonnet scoop :D

Ratman 24 July 2002 10:53 AM

Is that the car on which they had to make the indicators tick louder at speed, because they don't auto-cancel? Amazing in this day and age...

;)

Ratman
MY98 Wagon

DavidRB 24 July 2002 06:15 PM

Whether Vauxhall (& hence GM) cares is another matter, the previous models outsold the class leading Mondeo every year...