ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Pizza....why so expensive? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/111151-pizza-why-so-expensive.html)

Spudgun VI 07 July 2002 08:48 PM

i could feed half my street with the amount of chinese food i could get for the cost of two friggin pizzas, so can anyone tell me why they cost so much in comparison to indian or chinese food?

be honest, as nice as it is, pizza is just soggy cheese on toast with a few bits on it!

oh, and has anyone noticed the bases from dominos are getting saltier by the week? (no rude jokes please :D )

planky 07 July 2002 11:04 PM

Indian food cheap because they reuse left overs(saw it on telly) and chinese use local cats for their meat(there always LOST cats posters around my local chinese) LOL

SCOOBERATORS 07 July 2002 11:06 PM

All the best things in life cost alot.:( http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/FoodPizza.gif

Spudgun VI 07 July 2002 11:34 PM

LMAO:D:D

HunterB 07 July 2002 11:37 PM

Oh, I dunno. Local pizza place does an 18" with one topping for £10 or an 18" with one topping, 3 bags of chips and a 1.5 litre bottle of Coke for £15. Seems pretty good value to me. Couldn't eat it all at once .... :D

Spudgun VI 07 July 2002 11:43 PM

£22 for two large thin crust ham and pineapple pizzas from dominos. i think thats dear for cheese on toast:D

P1Fanatic 08 July 2002 12:10 AM

Dominos arent exactly great pizzas but they usually do good deals most of the time like buy one get one free if you pick it up yourself. A filling pizza can be had for £7-£8 which is what a chinese would cost near me. Prefer chinese myself but eat at a good restaurant so takeway isnt quite as good after that.

avonvilla 08 July 2002 01:57 AM

I work p/t for a well known Pizza establishment (:-]) and lets just say a £10 pizza costs them £1.60 to make including wages and delivery cost :-] enough said !

P1Fanatic 08 July 2002 12:05 PM

avonvilla - what about other overheads? heating, cooking equipment, furniture, advertising, insurance, building rent. These all add up. Im not saying your figure is incorrect, just that the total cost to make a pizza isnt ust made up of the ingredients u use and how much it cost to deliver it to a customer.

avonvilla 08 July 2002 12:11 PM

apparantley it is, thats what they reckon anyway, i've seen the profit and loss accounts for my store and we make approx 70% profit !

P1Fanatic 08 July 2002 12:42 PM

Hmm time to move away from IT :)

alcazar 08 July 2002 12:55 PM

My little bro in law is a chef by trade, and rerckons that the biggest profits in the trade are made on cups of coffee, pizza, and ice creams, in that order.
I suppose they have to make a profit somewhere, as they must make a loss charging you £10 for a piece of fillet steak you could buy in Asda's for £5????????????

avonvilla 08 July 2002 01:05 PM

if you really want to see greed then for example one portion of potato wedges at £2.95 to you, the bag we get them in will do 20 portions and costs us £1.85 !!! garlic bread is just as bad too !!

SlowBoy 08 July 2002 01:14 PM

P1Fanatic,

Were's the best place for Chinese in Cambridge then?

muppet paster 08 July 2002 01:22 PM

Same as Brum, on a plate...;)

Tiggs 08 July 2002 01:29 PM

but its no more greed on the part of "the hut" and the rest than it is lazy on our part.

i could go to asda and get a pizza for a lot less but it wuld take time and effort- i'd rather pizza hut and their mini streethawk bring it to me.

Tiggs

P1Fanatic 08 July 2002 01:33 PM

lol coffee - starbucks mocha at £1.99 or something for the smallest one (tall?). Probably costs them less than 30p all in per cup.

Slowboy - dont know about the best but its very nice - The Phoenix in Histon. No where near as good as the restaurants in Londons ChinaTown. Mmmm I remember the BBQ Crispy Duck starter at New World Chinese :)

P1Fanatic 08 July 2002 01:34 PM

lol tiggs, mini streethawk :) Out of all the franchise pizzas I do like Pizza Huts Deep Pan Supreme. Always tastes better than the frozen/fresh ones you get at the Supermarket IMHO.

krankyd 08 July 2002 01:54 PM

There are 4 pizza joints near where I live, down slade road in brum.

All of them offer a large pizza with 3-4 toppings for about a tenner. And *all* have a buy-one-get-one-free policy!

Jodster 08 July 2002 02:05 PM

The Hut near me is always so greasy that the box is soggy.

IMO, Dominoes are the daddy. Tops Pizzas are pretty good value.

Amen Corner 08 July 2002 02:15 PM

Pizza Hit/ Pizzaland/ Dominos all seem to come with soggy thick bases that are bad enough when made and twice as bad once they've sweated for 10-15 minutes in a moped's panier. Pizza Express is definitely the best of the chains.

I'm lucky enough to have a small family owned place round the corner that does proper bases and delivers them hot.:D:D

muppet paster 08 July 2002 02:19 PM

There are 4 pizza joints near where I live, down slade road in brum.
Is 'The Great Wall' house still there? Used to live off food from there when i lived up the Stockland! :D

muppet paster 08 July 2002 02:22 PM

On the subject of buy one get one free, i phoned two pizza places last night thta both do an offer like this, and got quoted 1 1/2 - 2hrs delivery!!!

So it was £17 for two regular Hawians and a gralic bread from local pizza chain instead.:(

krankyd 08 July 2002 02:28 PM

>>Is 'The Great Wall' house still there? Used to live off food >>from there when i lived up the Stockland!

Yeah - great food!!!

Still prefer the mayflower in erdington. There must be about 18 or so food joints down slade road - the council were on about denying more licenses as we have enough to feed most of the borough from one road!!

Jodster 08 July 2002 02:31 PM

Pizza Express is the best, yes, but my local one doesn't deliver :(

Tiggs 08 July 2002 02:32 PM

pizza hut on the shinfield rd in Reading is very good- never more than 25mins from order to tucking in.

T

had a nasty human hair/domino commbo problem a while back so only use the hut now.

Amen Corner 08 July 2002 02:37 PM

had a nasty human hair/domino commbo problem
Long straight and blond? or short, dark and curly :eek::eek:

bros2 08 July 2002 04:59 PM

Avonvilla

Sure of your numbers there? I get very frustrated when a company that makes a good product gets slated for being "rip-off merchants".

I don't work for your company - I work for PizzaExpress - but I clearly know the industry. I don't know of anyone who makes that much in terms of margin.

To give you an idea of our finances, we had a turnover of £185.6m in the 12 months to 30 June 2001, and made a profit of £40.0m. Then we paid tax - £10m of it - giving a net return of £30m. A lot of money, sure, but not as much as the "well-known pizza establishment" you work for.

Overall, we made a margin of 16.1%, or, if you prefer, £1.25 on a £9.00 pizza. Nothing wrong with that, is there? After all, there's no point in us being in business if we can't make a profit.

Maybe we spend too much on the ingredients (all delivered fresh) or spend too much time making pizzas (all hand made on the premises). Could even be that we train staff too thoroughly (but then we want the product and service to be excellent). We could also stop refurbishing our restaurants on such a regular basis, not put fresh flowers on the tables, serve crappy wine (which we could get a MUCH better margin on) rather than quality stuff ... the list goes on.

Bros

P1Fanatic 08 July 2002 05:32 PM

Have never been to Pizza Express but hear a lot of good comments about it so will have to get down to my local one soon.

Scoobydick 08 July 2002 05:38 PM

:D
  • Pepperoni
  • Jalapeno Peppers (or Chillies)
  • Onions
  • Green Peppers
  • Mushrooms
  • Finished with a little bit of Garlic

...and cooked until the cheese is nice and brown. Yummmmmmmm.

...Oh, and swilled down with a few cans of export lager. Heaven :)

This is one aspect of life even Tony Blair and his Police state can't make rubbish - although a european pizza tax looks likely. Computerised vans will try to catch you eating them if you don't pay :eek: