ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Rear trailing arms (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1066353-rear-trailing-arms.html)

johno01 20 April 2022 02:47 PM

Rear trailing arms

Hello all, was looking at removing my rear trailing arms to freshen them up...is it a simple job to remove them, freshen them up and refit them on the drive way with axle stands, basic tools etc.... thanks.

stockcar 20 April 2022 04:38 PM

should all come apart as long as you have room to get some purchase as a few of the rear bolts can be total pains........

johno01 20 April 2022 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 12119773)
should all come apart as long as you have room to get some purchase as a few of the rear bolts can be total pains........

thanks Alan, I’m guessing it’s 1 bolt at 1 end and 3 or 4 bolts at the other end so I take the bracket off as well? I will get underneath with a breaker bar and see how it goes... thanks again.

NOSSY_89 21 April 2022 09:39 AM

Takes loads of pictures and bag the bolts up mate.

johno01 21 April 2022 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89 (Post 12119806)
Takes loads of pictures and bag the bolts up mate.

will do mate, thanks

Don Clark 21 April 2022 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See attachment

johno01 21 April 2022 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 12119908)
See attachment

thanks don 👍 I can maybe take some other parts off to refresh with that diagram 👍

NOSSY_89 21 April 2022 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by johno01 (Post 12119909)
thanks don 👍 I can maybe take some other parts off to refresh with that diagram 👍

Take everything off lol. Once your're under there you will realise how much of a hammering all that suff takes. Trailing arms, arb, diff and before you know it you'll drop the tank.......................where does it end lol:wonder::brickwall

Check your fuel filler pipe heard they rust.

johno01 21 April 2022 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89 (Post 12119911)
Take everything off lol. Once your're under there you will realise how much of a hammering all that suff takes. Trailing arms, arb, diff and before you know it you'll drop the tank.......................where does it end lol:wonder::brickwall

Check your fuel filler pipe heard they rust.

mate that’s what I’d like to do but I’m guessing some bolts are going to be seized etc which will be a cnut on a driveway to sort....

NOSSY_89 21 April 2022 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by johno01 (Post 12119912)
mate that’s what I’d like to do but I’m guessing some bolts are going to be seized etc which will be a cnut on a driveway to sort....

WD 40 and plenty of it. Any other penetrating fluid can be used on top of. Get a breaker bar and a scaffold pole lol not too long through.

Vxr2010 21 April 2022 09:28 PM

i would clean them up as they are , don’t break what’s not broken , you could have bolts seize or snap and end up with a lot of hard work 👍

johno01 21 April 2022 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 12119918)
i would clean them up as they are , don’t break what’s not broken , you could have bolts seize or snap and end up with a lot of hard work 👍

cheers mate 👍👍

I am concerned about seized bolts and you know what-I think I might leave them in place 👍

will get pictures

i will have a go this weekend at removing them, if there bustards then il sort them in place

NOSSY_89 22 April 2022 09:09 AM

Don't worry about it. Me and a few other guys did it on a classic. The stuff looks really bad but is structurally fine. I just got rid, didn't have the time to refurb them while I had other stuff to do and no one was going to buy them in that state. If I remember correctly snapped bolts shouldn't be an issue on the trailing arms. The ones you want to be careful with are the rear subframe to body.

Personally I would say strip all that but you will need a alignment, my BCs could do with a freshen up.

johno01 22 April 2022 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89 (Post 12119926)
Don't worry about it. Me and a few other guys did it on a classic. The stuff looks really bad but is structurally fine. I just got rid, didn't have the time to refurb them while I had other stuff to do and no one was going to buy them in that state. If I remember correctly snapped bolts shouldn't be an issue on the trailing arms. The ones you want to be careful with are the rear subframe to body.

Personally I would say strip all that but you will need a alignment, my BCs could do with a freshen up.

yeah il definitely have a go...I’m going to take the coilovers off and give them a clean as well. 👍