ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Does these mean these headlights are HID (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1065925-does-these-mean-these-headlights-are-hid.html)

jaygsi 24 December 2021 05:42 PM

Does these mean these headlights are HID

2 Attachment(s)
Does these mean these headlights are HID?

Beastie 24 December 2021 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12115004)
Does these mean these headlights are HID?

That bulb is HID. What model is this Hawkeye?

jaygsi 24 December 2021 07:21 PM

Yes attached to headlights. Looks oem?

ted bass 24 December 2021 08:19 PM

Looks like headlight ballast unit i think:wonder:

jaygsi 24 December 2021 10:49 PM

That's what I thought, just double checking.

Beastie 26 December 2021 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12115008)
Yes attached to headlights. Looks oem?

Yes, I believe Subaru use this manufacturer. http://xenonland.com/product/1005/ma...2003-2012.html

Vxr2010 26 December 2021 04:45 PM

Same set up as my hid 55 plate jdm Fsti lights , the item you have the photo of can be found on line , like ebay for not much , just search under the part number , they are sensitive to damp , the headlight bulbs can be upgraded which makes a lot of difference , don’t but cheap you will be wasting your money , a phillips or osram etc for about 50£ is well worth the upgrade , lights will be much better than standard , often the bulb type is written on the top part of the headlight 👍 , subaru want 140£ plus per bulb even if they do last a long time

jaygsi 27 December 2021 10:54 AM

So is it off a JDM headlight or just a standard UK STI? or are they both the same setup?

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 12115040)
Same set up as my hid 55 plate jdm Fsti lights , the item you have the photo of can be found on line , like ebay for not much , just search under the part number , they are sensitive to damp , the headlight bulbs can be upgraded which makes a lot of difference , don’t but cheap you will be wasting your money , a phillips or osram etc for about 50£ is well worth the upgrade , lights will be much better than standard , often the bulb type is written on the top part of the headlight 👍 , subaru want 140£ plus per bulb even if they do last a long time

Vxr2010 27 December 2021 09:50 PM

that’s what i have as standard in my jdm fsti , subaru did sell uk cars with them fitted , you just need to find out when hid were fitted to uk cars , my 56 plate uk wagon im pretty sure had hids fitted , if you try partsouq or mezazip and put your chassis number in it may say what’s fitted as standard to yours , Don would also know the answer 👍

Don Clark 28 December 2021 10:41 AM

Imprezas with HID headlamps fitted using the type of ballast originally shown were used for JDM Blobeye, Hawkeye, Hatch, WRX STI saloon models onwards and UK Hawkeye, Hatch, WRXSTI saloon models onwards.
JDM HID fitted Bugeye models used a different ballast arrangement.
Also used for UK HID model Foresters MY06(Facelift) onwards.

Most of which was covered in Beasties link - http://xenonland.com/product/1005/ma...2003-2012.html

jaygsi 11 January 2022 12:49 AM

Ok cheers, another question. My standard lights are WRX, can I just remove the ballasts off a set of STI headlights and fit them to the WRX lights?

Vxr2010 11 January 2022 07:51 AM

The ballast igniter as your first photo shows has to work with the correct bulb for the unit , it won’t work on any normal headlight bulb , so if you are asking if the unit will fit and you already have hid bulbs in your wrx then it may possibly work , if you have standard non hid bulbs then no , the igniter of what i’ve been told , in effect turns the bulb into a sort of output of a welder light , due to the high voltage going through it

jaygsi 11 January 2022 12:06 PM

I have a pair of damaged HID headlights of a crashed STI, but ballast and the wiring is all there, just wondered if its a simple job of just swapping it all over to the WRX headlight unit, or is there other differences like inside the headlight, likes lenses etc?

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 12115687)
The ballast igniter as your first photo shows has to work with the correct bulb for the unit , it won’t work on any normal headlight bulb , so if you are asking if the unit will fit and you already have hid bulbs in your wrx then it may possibly work , if you have standard non hid bulbs then no , the igniter of what i’ve been told , in effect turns the bulb into a sort of output of a welder light , due to the high voltage going through it

TECHNOPUG 12 January 2022 04:14 PM

For which car?

jaygsi 12 January 2022 04:19 PM

Hawkeye wrx?

Vxr2010 12 January 2022 05:45 PM

if the wrx is not hid i expect things will be different , plus the hid will have headlight levellers , take the lights off and have a look is probably your most reliable route , the lights are on my Fsti are long winded to get off , but no that difficult to do 👍

jaygsi 17 January 2022 06:45 PM

So looked further into this, and looks like I will need the whole STI light unit. Plus wiring kit to fit to car. Might just look into bulb update instead. Cheers for info.