ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Continental Premium Contact 6 (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/1057093-continental-premium-contact-6-a.html)

Jay kay 23 November 2018 02:12 PM

Continental Premium Contact 6

Thinking of getting a set of these, wondered if anyone has used them?

I'm guessing I should go for XL?

2pot 23 November 2018 02:55 PM

XL rating does mean a different sidewall construction, not a stiffer sidewall.
XL for heavier vehicles, that need higher inflation pressures.

Jay kay 23 November 2018 03:09 PM

Not sure that's always the case? My Renaultsport Megane came new on XL tyres and 'normal' pressure so they aren't just for heavier cars. I do agree the Sidewall info though, most people assume a stiffer sidewall but that's not always the way

1509joe 23 November 2018 03:14 PM

XL stands for extra load and always did.

Jay kay 23 November 2018 03:16 PM

Meaning what?

2pot 23 November 2018 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jay kay (Post 12035780)
Not sure that's always the case? My Renaultsport Megane came new on XL tyres and 'normal' pressure so they aren't just for heavier cars. I do agree the Sidewall info though, most people assume a stiffer sidewall but that's not always the way

An XL tyre, running at a lower pressure, has a lower load rating than a non-XL tyre, at the same pressure

matt-c 23 November 2018 03:49 PM

In answer to OP question though, yes you should get XL or there will be unwanted sidewall movement.

1509joe 23 November 2018 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jay kay (Post 12035782)
Meaning what?

Meaning why disagree with people that have expertise in such matters i.e. 2pot.

Jay kay 23 November 2018 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12035787)
Meaning why disagree with people that have expertise in such matters i.e. 2pot.

So you're saying that 'experts' are never wrong? I still don't entirely agree as there are plenty of mid-sized cars and some lightweight car requiring XL tyres

hedgecutter 23 November 2018 06:35 PM

I`ve had them before, but not on a Subaru. They have soft sidewalls, which give great rain performance as contact area is increased, but they don`t aid handling at all, and wear fast

Jay kay 23 November 2018 06:53 PM

Thanks HC. The AutoExpress review said virtually the opposite and that handling and agility was sharper than any of the competition could dream of. Also personal opinion I guess but I think they should be pretty good

hedgecutter 23 November 2018 07:08 PM

I used them on a Skoda superb 4x4 so handling was always going to be piss poor, but the Falkens that replaced them feel just as good; Probably not the same on an Impreza though. They were xl, and the car ate them. I take xl to be primarily that, for heavier loads, roof boxes, towing, and will be a bit stiffer, but that`s no substitute for stiff sidewalls. European premium tyres get their high ratings largely because of the flex and comfort of the construction, I reckon.

2pot 23 November 2018 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by matt-c (Post 12035785)
In answer to OP question though, yes you should get XL or there will be unwanted sidewall movement.

Load rating is independent of sidewall stiffness.
Run-flats have a stiffened sidewall and heavy duty sidewall construction - would you use run-flats?

2pot 23 November 2018 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jay kay (Post 12035797)
So you're saying that 'experts' are never wrong? I still don't entirely agree as there are plenty of mid-sized cars and some lightweight car requiring XL tyres

The engineers will have a specified the tyre load index - 83, 88, 91 etc
What tyre that manufacturer then fitted to the car would be:
The minimum specified load index + what they could get a the best price + what gave the defined performance parameters + what was available.