ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Fitting subaru 4 pots to rear of sti v3 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1056337-fitting-subaru-4-pots-to-rear-of-sti-v3.html)

mellinator2k 28 September 2018 08:34 AM

Fitting subaru 4 pots to rear of sti v3

hi guys

looking at changing brakes on my sti v3 1997 as they are poor.
currently have 4 pots on front (I think) and one pots on rear.

brakes have no progressive feel- I have to stamp in pedal then it tries to bite. Does not stop instantly!

i run standard 16” wheels and looking for most cost effective upgrade.

Has anyone ever put Subaru 4 pots on the rear - rather than upgrading to the two pots?

Would this be a better upgrade than putting good discs and pads in front?

car currently has new icp disks and pads all round and a 5.1 fluid change. My 2006 Mazda 6 brakes feel lightyears ahead of the impreza but runs a third of the power

thanks

1509joe 28 September 2018 10:13 AM

V3 are a nightmare best way is to change the rear hubs to V4 on then the world is your oyster.

mellinator2k 28 September 2018 11:40 AM

Cheers mate. What are limitations of v3 hubs?

1509joe 28 September 2018 11:53 AM

No limitations their an oddball size f**k all fits them. V4 onwards you can fit brembos as long as wheels fit Subaru 2pot etc etc. If you have DCCD chances are you'll need R180 hubs.

mellinator2k 28 September 2018 11:55 AM

No dccd mate. Should standard brakes have a progressive feel or a All or nothing feel ?

1509joe 28 September 2018 12:01 PM

Get your brakes refurbished pins are probably seized in the rears and pistons in the front. If you wish to keep it standard that is. There not great but do the job.

Ash Webster 28 September 2018 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12028614)
No limitations their an oddball size f**k all fits them. V4 onwards you can fit brembos as long as wheels fit Subaru 2pot etc etc. If you have DCCD chances are you'll need R180 hubs.

can you expand a bit more please?

I refurbed my front 4 pots but havent touched the rears yet (****in bolt through the hub is a joooooke!)

What are the options with regards to rears? The V3 STI doesnt have DCCD so do all I need is V4 rear hubs and they will bolt straight on?

Tempted to just refurb the rears and see how overall baking is. The fronts are decent.

Cheers,

Ash

1509joe 28 September 2018 12:06 PM

Different mounting points for the calipers if the two of you haven't R180 hubs (DCCD) ring Alyn at AS Performance as I think there is an option for the R160 hubs :thumb:

stockcar 28 September 2018 03:24 PM

Joe your mixed up slightly, think your getting the V3 R180 STi RA & Type-R hubs / brakes confused with the std STi's, etc. that simply use the common smaller sliding brakes.........

1509joe 28 September 2018 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 12028655)
Joe your mixed up slightly, think your getting the V3 R180 STi RA & Type-R hubs / brakes confused with the std STi's, etc. that simply use the common smaller sliding brakes.........

Thought that hence the reply thought they meant the ra :thumb:

mellinator2k 28 September 2018 04:06 PM

Any ideas of who does refurbs on standard brakes and the cost?

Thanks

Godspeed Brakes 28 September 2018 04:10 PM

We can offer various solutions depending on budget.

Reconditioned rear 1 pot calipers with stainless steel pistons , new seals and nipples , powder coated any colour you want are £195 a pair inc vat.

We could also offer you a complete 2 pot kit with reconditioned 2 pot calipers , larger grooved 290mm discs , pads , and mounting bracket kit for £495 , this kit is a complete bolt on kit

Cheers Ian

mellinator2k 28 September 2018 04:21 PM

Thank you. Do you take the 1 pot rear callipers for a small discount?

ossett2k2 28 September 2018 05:11 PM

Also consider a brake stopper,I have one for my v3(not fitted it yet),it's supposed to make the brake feel better by reducing the flex on the firewall

Godspeed Brakes 28 September 2018 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by mellinator2k (Post 12028665)

Hi
Sorry should have mentioned , the £195 is on an exchange basis , you can either send yours in and its £195 plus P&P back to you , or we can send you a pair already done , you swap them and send yours back , we take a deposit this way and refund you once we get your old calipers back
Cheers Ian

jaygsi 28 September 2018 07:03 PM

Mines the same as your bud, brand new front calipers and same as the old ones, although I've fitted Brembo pads and brakes are the same no progressive feel until you end near the end of the peddle, but then if you hammer your foot down it stops really well.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...e983882a4b.jpg

Originally Posted by mellinator2k (Post 12028616)
No dccd mate. Should standard brakes have a progressive feel or a All or nothing feel ?

mickywrx 28 September 2018 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 12028663)
We can offer various solutions depending on budget.

Reconditioned rear 1 pot calipers with stainless steel pistons , new seals and nipples , powder coated any colour you want are £195 a pair inc vat.

We could also offer you a complete 2 pot kit with reconditioned 2 pot calipers , larger grooved 290mm discs , pads , and mounting bracket kit for £495 , this kit is a complete bolt on kit

Cheers Ian

Originally Posted by mellinator2k (Post 12028665)

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 12028671)
Hi
Sorry should have mentioned , the £195 is on an exchange basis , you can either send yours in and its £195 plus P&P back to you , or we can send you a pair already done , you swap them and send yours back , we take a deposit this way and refund you once we get your old calipers back
Cheers Ian

Ian, I think he's asking if you'll knock money off the price of the 2 pot set up, if he sends you his, in my opinion worthless, 1 pot rear calipers.

mickywrx 28 September 2018 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12028675)
Mines the same as your bud, brand new front calipers and same as the old ones, although I've fitted Brembo pads and brakes are the same no progressive feel until you end near the end of the peddle, but then if you hammer your foot down it stops really well.

I don't rate Brembo pads in the slightest. My car stopped better on it's original 2 pot/1pot set up with Pagid pads, than it did with Brembo pads with 4Pot/2pot set up.

mellinator2k 28 September 2018 10:16 PM

Thanks lads!!
Would a sti v3 have 2 pots up front as standard or 4?

Skoobie Dhu 28 September 2018 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by mellinator2k (Post 12028702)
Thanks lads!!
Would a sti v3 have 2 pots up front as standard or 4?

Both, early ones had 2 pots, the later ones had 4 pots - mine has the 4 pots.

mellinator2k 29 September 2018 08:21 AM

Mine was a march 97 model. I think mine is 4 pot up front as well as can see two circles for piston on front of calliper. Presume back is the same

1509joe 29 September 2018 08:42 AM

As above four pots.

stockcar 29 September 2018 09:19 AM

from the V3 STi> the cars had the Subaru 4pot caliper

jaygsi 29 September 2018 05:55 PM

I'm sure they were brembo pads. Not sure what I put on the rear got them done at Demon Tweeks. Stop really well.

Originally Posted by mickywrx
I don't rate Brembo pads in the slightest. My car stopped better on it's original 2 pot/1pot set up with Pagid pads, than it did with Brembo pads with 4Pot/2pot set up.

Vxr2010 04 October 2018 08:03 AM

Brembo wise the stopping power is greatly effected by the size of the brake servo , i have one set of brembos on an Fsti work ok possibly better on track but greatly improved by eurocarparts 40£ pagid pads which were much better than the ebc red stuff on there before, similar in the stopping department as the standard subaru 4 pot 2 pot set up , second Fsti blow on the pedal and you are kissing the windscreen again pagid pads fitted either car stops well but a lot of difference in it

jaygsi 04 October 2018 11:39 AM

I believe that could be due to the red stuff pads being for track use.

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
Brembo wise the stopping power is greatly effected by the size of the brake servo , i have one set of brembos on an Fsti work ok possibly better on track but greatly improved by eurocarparts 40£ pagid pads which were much better than the ebc red stuff on there before, similar in the stopping department as the standard subaru 4 pot 2 pot set up , second Fsti blow on the pedal and you are kissing the windscreen again pagid pads fitted either car stops well but a lot of difference in it

Vxr2010 04 October 2018 11:45 AM

I think the yellow stuff are more track based , the newer red stuff does not need warming up , but the pagid ones around 40£ or so work very well and cost a lot less , i found the brembo pads a bit lacking in feel, they do a cosworth pad that’s ok too