ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Welsh B road roadtrip advice needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1055953-welsh-b-road-roadtrip-advice-needed.html)

hedgecutter 03 September 2018 02:40 PM

Welsh B road roadtrip advice needed

I'm just planning a trip from home, at Land's End Cornwall, to Edinburgh , and I'd like some suggestions for b road routes from the Severn up to Welshpool. The more scenic the better, Shell or Tesco petrol stops necessary , and the odd castle or Roman ruin would be a bonus. B roads preferred but not essential. Diolch!

The Trooper 1815 03 September 2018 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12025152)
I'm just planning a trip from home, at Land's End Cornwall, to Edinburgh , and I'd like some suggestions for b road routes from the Severn up to Welshpool. The more scenic the better, Shell or Tesco petrol stops necessary , and the odd castle or Roman ruin would be a bonus. B roads preferred but not essential. Diolch!

PM'd

beanoir 03 September 2018 08:08 PM

Beware of the dash cam w@nkers in Wales, the Welsh Police (unlike the rest of the UK) are actively encouraging people to submit video evidence from dash cams of ‘offenders’

Operation Snap I think it’s called

funkyrimpler 03 September 2018 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by beanoir (Post 12025182)
Beware of the dash cam w@nkers in Wales, the Welsh Police (unlike the rest of the UK) are actively encouraging people to submit video evidence from dash cams of ‘offenders’

i despise what this country has become...not just this, but it's indicative of so much of the bollox we put up with...The UK has more cameras than anywhere in the world..London alone has more cameras than almost any other country on Earth..but that's still not enough..Why do people embrace this crap??

The Trooper 1815 03 September 2018 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by beanoir (Post 12025182)

Engerlander coppers are get dB meters. I wonder what is worse?

bonesetter 04 September 2018 03:11 PM

Next to zero VPower in Wales :(

The Trooper 1815 04 September 2018 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 12025270)
Next to zero VPower in Wales :(

Shell - 19 Garages between Cardiff and Hereford all dealing V Power. including Crickhowell, Monmouth and Crumlin.
Tesco with Momentum - 30 plus between Cardiff and Llandudno including out of the way places like Llandrindod Wells and Newtown.
In Scotland you really are fubar'd.

bonesetter 04 September 2018 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 12025298)
Shell - 19 Garages between Cardiff and Hereford all dealing V Power. including Crickhowell, Monmouth and Crumlin.
Tesco with Momentum - 30 plus between Cardiff and Llandudno including out of the way places like Llandrindod Wells and Newtown.

I'm amazed - my trips in and around mid to NW Wales see none at all, plus the Pembrokeshire has none at all - the last one being just after Carmarthen

hedgecutter 04 September 2018 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 12025298)

So not looking good for the Scottish leg of the journey then!

Rex300 06 September 2018 10:47 AM

My suggestion is towards the end of your route, but if you head to craven arms, turn west on the road to Clun. There is a ruined castle there so ticks that box too. Then carry on west through Newcastle and over the Kerry ridge. Then head for abermule and onto the Newtown - Welshpool road. Or for a dog leg to Welshpool, instead of heading to abermule, go to Newtown and north to Llanfair caereinion to head east to Welshpool.

Back a couple of steps, when you are in Clun, you could go north to bishops castle instead where there are a couple of great pub brewerys. Castle hotel is nice if a stopover. Then from there it is church stoke / chirbury or church stoke / Montgomery as a couple of options to get to Welshpool.

I’d go the first route to head west out of clun.

Welshpool has tesco momentum. Beyond Welshpool depending on your route, shell vpower at ford near shrewsbury or nesscliffe bypass on the a5 but the garage is only accessible from the heading south direction, but you can double back on the stretch of dual carriageway if needed.

Hope thay helps a little.

bonesetter 18 September 2018 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rex300 (Post 12025501)
My suggestion is towards the end of your route, but if you head to craven arms, turn west on the road to Clun. There is a ruined castle there so ticks that box too. Then carry on west through Newcastle and over the Kerry ridge. Then head for abermule and onto the Newtown - Welshpool road. Or for a dog leg to Welshpool, instead of heading to abermule, go to Newtown and north to Llanfair caereinion to head east to Welshpool.

Back a couple of steps, when you are in Clun, you could go north to bishops castle instead where there are a couple of great pub brewerys. Castle hotel is nice if a stopover. Then from there it is church stoke / chirbury or church stoke / Montgomery as a couple of options to get to Welshpool.

Welshpool has tesco momentum. Beyond Welshpool depending on your route, shell vpower at ford near shrewsbury or nesscliffe bypass on the a5 but the garage is only accessible from the heading south direction, but you can double back on the stretch of dual carriageway if needed.

Great advice, and great roads - I run these on a regular basis - superb quality (hardly any pot holes), plus Shrops is one of the least populated county, so extremely light traffic

If you do get up those parts, I would come along for a fair few sections too - convoy stylee :)

hedgecutter 18 September 2018 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rex300 (Post 12025501)

Thank you, that's perfect as it ties in with Trooper's military precision mapped route from the Severn up to mid Wales. Thank you Ian as well.
The real problem with the fuel is detouring off the M6 up Preston way; we may detour to Kendal and the lakes if we can get from Salop to there on a tank full. I need to look at distances, being a confirmed westerner.

The Trooper 1815 18 September 2018 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12027219)
Thank you, that's perfect as it ties in with Trooper's military precision mapped route from the Severn up to mid Wales. Thank you Ian as well.
The real problem with the fuel is detouring off the M6 up Preston way; we may detour to Kendal and the lakes if we can get from Salop to there on a tank full. I need to look at distances, being a confirmed westerner.

No problems mate. Always a pleasure, never a chore!

pacenote 18 September 2018 07:05 PM

If you are going M6 Northbound there is a shell garage just off Jnc 31. Its just over a mile off the motorway, head towards Preston on the A59. Garage Postcode PR1 4TE

If you miss that there is another off Jnc 31A Garage Postcode PR2 5PZ. Its a bit of a detour to rejoin M6 Northbound from this one IIRC

nikon-man 18 September 2018 07:13 PM

any amount of shell garages in North Wales all selling V power

bonesetter 18 September 2018 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by nikon-man (Post 12027349)
any amount of shell garages in North Wales all selling V power

They are very few and far between

Even the Tesco stations often don't sell their 98 stuff

Lack of VPower shouldn't stop proceedings anyhow

The Trooper 1815 18 September 2018 09:54 PM

Tesco in Holyhead does Momentum.
Shell in Menai Bridge, Betws Y Coed doing V Power.

Vxr2010 19 September 2018 06:38 AM

Drive a bit carefully as i heard lots of speed traps in wales ? and enjoy the scenery, plus buy two jerry cans that will give you 100 litres to have fun with which should give you a decent range

hedgecutter 19 September 2018 09:04 AM

Thanks everyone, that's great. Pacenote, that's very helpful as the Shell ap is hard to see on a small phone.
I've never driven the spec C on a long route not knowing the fuel stops, but I find it quite hard to get more than 200 miles out of a tank full, maybe 240 on a steady motorway run.
Just watched the Somerset Scoobies Welsh run, and had forgotten the sheep!
Not sure the Mrs would want 100 litres of fuel in the back next to her stuff!
I'm also turning off the M6 around Lockerbie to go through the heart of the Borders.

The Trooper 1815 19 September 2018 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 12027392)
Drive a bit carefully as i heard lots of speed traps in wales ? and enjoy the scenery, plus buy two jerry cans that will give you 100 litres to have fun with which should give you a decent range

All speed camera location, permanent or mobile, are published in Wales.
Check here :luvlove:
https://gosafe.org
https://gosafe.org/calibration-certifcates/camera-search/

hedgecutter 05 October 2018 06:20 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...b04f5b5feb.jpg
Got seriously lost down some seriously narrow tracks, but the climb up was worth it.

hedgecutter 10 October 2018 09:17 PM

Here's some more pics on the return trip, up from Lake Bala, and around the Elan Valley. It was simply stunning, great roads and scenery
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...45ec33014e.jpg

hedgecutter 10 October 2018 09:18 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...33887eb886.jpg

hedgecutter 10 October 2018 09:20 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...9eccfaaf6d.jpg

bonesetter 10 October 2018 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12030260)
Here's some more pics on the return trip, up from Lake Bala, and around the Elan Valley. It was simply stunning, great roads and scenery

Nicely captured photo - I've hooned that tarmac a fair few times in a few different Scoobies

hedgecutter 10 October 2018 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 12030265)
Nicely captured photo - I've hooned that tarmac a fair few times in a few different Scoobies

We've done 1380 miles , Dartmoor , Eastern Wales, The Lakes, The Borders ,The North Yorkshire Moors, and back through central Wales. Good weather and great autumn colour have been the icing on the cake.
Just got to get a hospital appointment out of the way on the last leg tomorrow, then home.
It's been epic, and need .to do more.

The Trooper 1815 11 October 2018 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12030261)

You found it!

hedgecutter 11 October 2018 04:00 PM

Ian and Nigel, thank you. The whole trip was epic, but Wales pulled well ahead on the return leg.
And as a bonus, I had an all clear at the hospital on the way today, so win win.

hedgecutter 11 October 2018 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 12030341)

You found it!

Actually , we nearly missed the loop round. We went to the first dam, and I wondered what the fuss was about. I was really glad we went on. Absolutely stunning, blessed with beautiful weather as well.

bonesetter 11 October 2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12030369)
Ian and Nigel, thank you. The whole trip was epic, but Wales pulled well ahead on the return leg.
And as a bonus, I had an all clear at the hospital on the way today, so win win.

Good news on the win win :)

So, you're moving to mid-Wales then?