ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Welsh B road roadtrip advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2018, 02:40 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts
Default Welsh B road roadtrip advice needed

I'm just planning a trip from home, at Land's End Cornwall, to Edinburgh , and I'd like some suggestions for b road routes from the Severn up to Welshpool. The more scenic the better, Shell or Tesco petrol stops necessary , and the odd castle or Roman ruin would be a bonus. B roads preferred but not essential. Diolch!
Old 03 September 2018, 04:04 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
I'm just planning a trip from home, at Land's End Cornwall, to Edinburgh , and I'd like some suggestions for b road routes from the Severn up to Welshpool. The more scenic the better, Shell or Tesco petrol stops necessary , and the odd castle or Roman ruin would be a bonus. B roads preferred but not essential. Diolch!
PM'd
Old 03 September 2018, 08:08 PM
beanoir
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beware of the dash cam w@nkers in Wales, the Welsh Police (unlike the rest of the UK) are actively encouraging people to submit video evidence from dash cams of ‘offenders’

Operation Snap I think it’s called
Old 03 September 2018, 09:53 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beanoir
Beware of the dash cam w@nkers in Wales, the Welsh Police (unlike the rest of the UK) are actively encouraging people to submit video evidence from dash cams of ‘offenders’

i despise what this country has become...not just this, but it's indicative of so much of the bollox we put up with...The UK has more cameras than anywhere in the world..London alone has more cameras than almost any other country on Earth..but that's still not enough..Why do people embrace this crap??
Old 03 September 2018, 11:32 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by beanoir

Engerlander coppers are get dB meters. I wonder what is worse?
Old 04 September 2018, 03:11 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Next to zero VPower in Wales
Old 04 September 2018, 04:45 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Next to zero VPower in Wales
Shell - 19 Garages between Cardiff and Hereford all dealing V Power. including Crickhowell, Monmouth and Crumlin.
Tesco with Momentum - 30 plus between Cardiff and Llandudno including out of the way places like Llandrindod Wells and Newtown.
In Scotland you really are fubar'd.

Old 04 September 2018, 04:50 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Shell - 19 Garages between Cardiff and Hereford all dealing V Power. including Crickhowell, Monmouth and Crumlin.
Tesco with Momentum - 30 plus between Cardiff and Llandudno including out of the way places like Llandrindod Wells and Newtown.
I'm amazed - my trips in and around mid to NW Wales see none at all, plus the Pembrokeshire has none at all - the last one being just after Carmarthen
Old 04 September 2018, 07:05 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

So not looking good for the Scottish leg of the journey then!
Old 06 September 2018, 10:47 AM
Rex300
Scooby Regular

My suggestion is towards the end of your route, but if you head to craven arms, turn west on the road to Clun. There is a ruined castle there so ticks that box too. Then carry on west through Newcastle and over the Kerry ridge. Then head for abermule and onto the Newtown - Welshpool road. Or for a dog leg to Welshpool, instead of heading to abermule, go to Newtown and north to Llanfair caereinion to head east to Welshpool.

Back a couple of steps, when you are in Clun, you could go north to bishops castle instead where there are a couple of great pub brewerys. Castle hotel is nice if a stopover. Then from there it is church stoke / chirbury or church stoke / Montgomery as a couple of options to get to Welshpool.

I’d go the first route to head west out of clun.

Welshpool has tesco momentum. Beyond Welshpool depending on your route, shell vpower at ford near shrewsbury or nesscliffe bypass on the a5 but the garage is only accessible from the heading south direction, but you can double back on the stretch of dual carriageway if needed.

Hope thay helps a little.
Old 18 September 2018, 08:18 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rex300
My suggestion is towards the end of your route, but if you head to craven arms, turn west on the road to Clun. There is a ruined castle there so ticks that box too. Then carry on west through Newcastle and over the Kerry ridge. Then head for abermule and onto the Newtown - Welshpool road. Or for a dog leg to Welshpool, instead of heading to abermule, go to Newtown and north to Llanfair caereinion to head east to Welshpool.

Back a couple of steps, when you are in Clun, you could go north to bishops castle instead where there are a couple of great pub brewerys. Castle hotel is nice if a stopover. Then from there it is church stoke / chirbury or church stoke / Montgomery as a couple of options to get to Welshpool.

Welshpool has tesco momentum. Beyond Welshpool depending on your route, shell vpower at ford near shrewsbury or nesscliffe bypass on the a5 but the garage is only accessible from the heading south direction, but you can double back on the stretch of dual carriageway if needed.

Great advice, and great roads - I run these on a regular basis - superb quality (hardly any pot holes), plus Shrops is one of the least populated county, so extremely light traffic

If you do get up those parts, I would come along for a fair few sections too - convoy stylee
Old 18 September 2018, 09:53 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rex300

Thank you, that's perfect as it ties in with Trooper's military precision mapped route from the Severn up to mid Wales. Thank you Ian as well.
The real problem with the fuel is detouring off the M6 up Preston way; we may detour to Kendal and the lakes if we can get from Salop to there on a tank full. I need to look at distances, being a confirmed westerner.
Old 18 September 2018, 09:57 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Thank you, that's perfect as it ties in with Trooper's military precision mapped route from the Severn up to mid Wales. Thank you Ian as well.
The real problem with the fuel is detouring off the M6 up Preston way; we may detour to Kendal and the lakes if we can get from Salop to there on a tank full. I need to look at distances, being a confirmed westerner.

No problems mate. Always a pleasure, never a chore!
Old 18 September 2018, 07:05 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are going M6 Northbound there is a shell garage just off Jnc 31. Its just over a mile off the motorway, head towards Preston on the A59. Garage Postcode PR1 4TE

If you miss that there is another off Jnc 31A Garage Postcode PR2 5PZ. Its a bit of a detour to rejoin M6 Northbound from this one IIRC
Old 18 September 2018, 07:13 PM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

any amount of shell garages in North Wales all selling V power
Old 18 September 2018, 07:46 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nikon-man
any amount of shell garages in North Wales all selling V power
They are very few and far between

Even the Tesco stations often don't sell their 98 stuff

Lack of VPower shouldn't stop proceedings anyhow
Old 18 September 2018, 09:54 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Tesco in Holyhead does Momentum.
Shell in Menai Bridge, Betws Y Coed doing V Power.
Old 19 September 2018, 06:38 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

Drive a bit carefully as i heard lots of speed traps in wales ? and enjoy the scenery, plus buy two jerry cans that will give you 100 litres to have fun with which should give you a decent range
Old 19 September 2018, 09:04 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone, that's great. Pacenote, that's very helpful as the Shell ap is hard to see on a small phone.
I've never driven the spec C on a long route not knowing the fuel stops, but I find it quite hard to get more than 200 miles out of a tank full, maybe 240 on a steady motorway run.
Just watched the Somerset Scoobies Welsh run, and had forgotten the sheep!
Not sure the Mrs would want 100 litres of fuel in the back next to her stuff!
I'm also turning off the M6 around Lockerbie to go through the heart of the Borders.
Old 19 September 2018, 11:03 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
Drive a bit carefully as i heard lots of speed traps in wales ? and enjoy the scenery, plus buy two jerry cans that will give you 100 litres to have fun with which should give you a decent range
All speed camera location, permanent or mobile, are published in Wales.
Check here
https://gosafe.org
https://gosafe.org/calibration-certifcates/camera-search/

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 19 September 2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05 October 2018, 06:20 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Got seriously lost down some seriously narrow tracks, but the climb up was worth it.
Old 10 October 2018, 09:17 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Here's some more pics on the return trip, up from Lake Bala, and around the Elan Valley. It was simply stunning, great roads and scenery
Old 10 October 2018, 09:18 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Old 10 October 2018, 09:20 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Old 10 October 2018, 09:43 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Here's some more pics on the return trip, up from Lake Bala, and around the Elan Valley. It was simply stunning, great roads and scenery
Nicely captured photo - I've hooned that tarmac a fair few times in a few different Scoobies
Old 10 October 2018, 10:33 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Nicely captured photo - I've hooned that tarmac a fair few times in a few different Scoobies
We've done 1380 miles , Dartmoor , Eastern Wales, The Lakes, The Borders ,The North Yorkshire Moors, and back through central Wales. Good weather and great autumn colour have been the icing on the cake.
Just got to get a hospital appointment out of the way on the last leg tomorrow, then home.
It's been epic, and need .to do more.
Old 11 October 2018, 02:16 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

You found it!
Old 11 October 2018, 04:00 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Ian and Nigel, thank you. The whole trip was epic, but Wales pulled well ahead on the return leg.
And as a bonus, I had an all clear at the hospital on the way today, so win win.
Old 11 October 2018, 04:05 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

You found it!
Actually , we nearly missed the loop round. We went to the first dam, and I wondered what the fuss was about. I was really glad we went on. Absolutely stunning, blessed with beautiful weather as well.
Old 11 October 2018, 04:26 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Ian and Nigel, thank you. The whole trip was epic, but Wales pulled well ahead on the return leg.
And as a bonus, I had an all clear at the hospital on the way today, so win win.
Good news on the win win

So, you're moving to mid-Wales then?

Quick Reply: Welsh B road roadtrip advice needed