ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Engine Bay Heat Reduction - Question Time! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1055083-engine-bay-heat-reduction-question-time.html)

SmurfyBhoy 05 July 2018 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by johnfelstead (Post 12016886)
Just don't Rob.

Fitting a low temperature thermostat is idiotic.

All you are doing is guaranteeing the engine will run too cold at cruise speeds, which is bad for engine life, power delivery and fuel consumption.

Your problem, assuming the head gaskets aren't cooked, is the capacity of the cooling system is too low for the load you are asking it to manage.

All you do when you fit a low temperature thermostat is drop the start temperature point for a power pull, any sustained load use will not be helped by this, the vast majority of the time your engine will be running far too cold. There is a reason why the stock thermostat is at the temperature it is.

Sort your problem out properly by improving the water cooling system, sticking a FMIC on the car will have made matters worse.

My own car uses a bespoke water radiator with a combined oil cooler core, its a very neat and efficient system.

Do you find having the combined oil and water cooler speeds up the cold start, as in gets it to operating temp quicker ?

or is it thermostatic so no effect till up there just maintains nice even & low temps really well ?

Tidgy 05 July 2018 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rob Day (Post 12016889)
Cheers Everyone.

All your points noted John, as said it with the garage next week so hopefully get to the bottom of it.

I need to get an oil cooler I know, will sort today, recommend any?

The car was fine on the current set up running TMIC, only changes were FMIC, 4 bar map sensor, fuel pressure regulator.... Yes the radiator air flow is now restricted but never experience this before.

Robert

plenty of folks run that way without issue so i'd be leaning towards something else primarily.

The Rig 05 July 2018 11:50 AM

What about fitting higher pressure rad caps ?

i see 1.3 or 2 bar ones for sale ( not sure if 2 bar is too much ? )

johnfelstead 05 July 2018 01:24 PM

Buy the hatch version of mine. Very short pipe runs and proper airflow through the cores.

If you do use a normal off the shelf cooler, the airflow through it is really important, it wont work if its not got good airflow in and out.

johnfelstead 05 July 2018 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 12016892)
Do you find having the combined oil and water cooler speeds up the cold start, as in gets it to operating temp quicker ?

or is it thermostatic so no effect till up there just maintains nice even & low temps really well ?

I didn't notice any change in warm up time compared to a modine, the stat in the takeoff plate controls the temperature nicely.

Rob Day 05 July 2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by johnfelstead (Post 12016933)
Buy the hatch version of mine. Very short pipe runs and proper airflow through the cores.

If you do use a normal off the shelf cooler, the airflow through it is really important, it wont work if its not got good airflow in and out.

Cheers John. So much choice, can you tell me which you are using please as I'm not clear what spec your car is these days, hell I don't think I've seen you in the last decade! Still in the black 2.1 JDM?

Robert

johnfelstead 05 July 2018 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 12016921)
What about fitting higher pressure rad caps ?

i see 1.3 or 2 bar ones for sale ( not sure if 2 bar is too much ? )

You need to think about what the rad cap pressure is doing. You should run the lowest pressure cap for your application.

All the cap is doing is increasing the boiling point of the coolant, a higher pressure cap will increase that boiling point, but if you never get temperatures high enough to go over the boiling point, a higher pressure cap will do nothing for you.

I run the stock 1.1BAR cap, on a very hot day on a track thrash it would give a bit more headroom from higher EGT water temp spikes with a 1.3BAR, i wouldn't go any higher than that because as you up the pressure the water system seals get more work to do.

On the F1 cars i run we only use 0.89BAR caps, any higher and the water passes the water pump seals. If the cooling system capacity is properly sized you don't need high pressure.

johnfelstead 05 July 2018 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Day (Post 12016938)
Cheers John. So much choice, can you tell me which you are using please as I'm not clear what spec your car is these days, hell I don't think I've seen you in the last decade! Still in the black 2.1 JDM?

Robert

Spec is in my signature Rob. I use the Chevron TMIC and the combined water radiator and oil cooler. Bob Rawle fitted the same cooling package to his last project car.

Yes, still using the Black 2.1 JDM, i've been running this package for a very long time now, its well proven and works.

trevsjwood 05 July 2018 07:34 PM

Cheers Everyone.

All your points noted John, as said it with the garage next week so hopefully get to the bottom of it.

The car was fine on the current set up running TMIC, only changes were FMIC, 4 bar map sensor, fuel pressure regulator.... Yes the radiator air flow is now restricted but never experience this before.

Robert

is the dv blanked on the intercooler or is the oem dv still in place?
Trev

Rob Day 06 July 2018 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by johnfelstead (Post 12016960)
Spec is in my signature Rob. I use the Chevron TMIC and the combined water radiator and oil cooler. Bob Rawle fitted the same cooling package to his last project car.

Yes, still using the Black 2.1 JDM, i've been running this package for a very long time now, its well proven and works.

Okay, can't see your signature on the phone app (currently away until Sunday).

​​​​​​Thanks
Robert

Originally Posted by trevsjwood (Post 12016974)
is the dv blanked on the intercooler or is the oem dv still in place?
Trev

No DV but will be putting one on as I'm not maffless. Turbo is more than capable of the turbulence, but the MAF won't be happy.

Robert

mickywrx 07 July 2018 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Day (Post 12017014)
Okay, can't see your signature on the phone app (currently away until Sunday).

Off topic, how are you enjoying Geordieland? :D I personally wouldn't have went to see the Angel of the North mind. ;)

Rob Day 09 July 2018 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 12017237)
Off topic, how are you enjoying Geordieland? :D I personally wouldn't have went to see the Angel of the North mind. ;)

It was good mate, stopped in an apartment in Gateshead and uber'd down to the city each day.... Three harsh days of drinking out of my league - tired in work today :freak3:.

No point telling you anything else about the trip as its been plastered all over faceweb! :lol1:

mickywrx 09 July 2018 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Day (Post 12017414)
It was good mate, stopped in an apartment in Gateshead and uber'd down to the city each day.... Three harsh days of drinking out of my league - tired in work today :freak3:.

No point telling you anything else about the trip as its been plastered all over faceweb! :lol1:

:lol1::lol1: Glad you enjoyed our fair city. :thumb: :)

Rob Day 10 July 2018 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 12017476)
:lol1::lol1: Glad you enjoyed our fair city. :thumb: :)

Definitely, I would put it up there with the top 5 uk cities for night life that I have ever visited :thumb:

bonesetter 10 July 2018 08:57 AM

It's issues like these that test the experience of your garage and just as, or more importantly your mapper

Live or RR? Bob Rawle (who has vast experience) will always say live road mapping is best, and I can see his point - 'real world' and put you hand out the window at ~70mph and that's got to be a shed more air than a RR cell - but you'll get plenty who say RR is best...

Hope you get things sorted soon :)

Tidgy 10 July 2018 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 12017534)
It's issues like these that test the experience of your garage and just as, or more importantly your mapper

Live or RR? Bob Rawle (who has vast experience) will always say live road mapping is best, and I can see his point - 'real world' and put you hand out the window at ~70mph and that's got to be a shed more air than a RR cell - but you'll get plenty who say RR is best...

Hope you get things sorted soon :)

Live mapping can be done on road or dyno, it reffers to the method, not the location. Live mapping is on the fly, rather than a pull, then tweak a pull then tweak.

As far as the road vs dyno map, both have advantages and disadvantages.

You can't legaly do the speeds needed to map a car on the road, not to mention the whole insurance side of things. Do you think your insurance will cover you if something happens while your cars being mapped? or do you think the mapper has insurance which will cover your driving? neither is the case.

A dyno can't 100% simulate true road conditions, it is however able to prove a more controlled environment and stable variables, such as wind, road grip
from the rollers etc

Dyno map then road finish is about the best of both.

bonesetter 10 July 2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12017543)
Live mapping can be done on road or dyno, it reffers to the method, not the location. Live mapping is on the fly, rather than a pull, then tweak a pull then tweak.

You can't legaly do the speeds needed to map a car on the road, not to mention the whole insurance side of things. Do you think your insurance will cover you if something happens while your cars being mapped? or do you think the mapper has insurance which will cover your driving? neither is the case.

A dyno can't 100% simulate true road conditions, it is however able to prove a more controlled environment and stable variables, such as wind, road grip
from the rollers etc

Yeah, I've found both methods to work fine over the years. I guess I like the idea of the road version best, despite its cons you mention as it seems more real...

But your 'Dyno map then road finish is about the best of both' does seem the best of both :)

Tidgy 10 July 2018 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 12017549)
Yeah, I've found both methods to work fine over the years. I guess I like the idea of the road version best, despite its cons you mention as it seems more real...

But your 'Dyno map then road finish is about the best of both' does seem the best of both :)

unless you have an airfield and track day insurance lol

Rob Day 10 July 2018 12:58 PM

Cheers guys.

The car was dropped off yesterday, they will have it pretty much all week to get to the bottom of it and hopefully finish off the mapping etc. If it is indeed more serious than I would hope then I'll deal with that if/when the news comes in. Hopefully it'll get finished and in time for some fun at the end of July.

Robert.

Rob Day 13 July 2018 06:41 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...0e79d5527.jpeg

peter zippy reid 13 July 2018 06:51 PM

That cant be good Rob

mickywrx 13 July 2018 07:00 PM

Head gaskets?

Not good if so.

Rob Day 13 July 2018 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid (Post 12018194)
That cant be good Rob

No point crying just yet, fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 12018197)
Head gaskets?

Not good if so.

Hoping that's all it is, top man Brian at Cams Performance is doing a late night to get the engine out, heads off and asses..

peter zippy reid 13 July 2018 07:26 PM

Hopefully easy fix

SmurfyBhoy 13 July 2018 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12017543)

from the rollers etc

I am more than happy to do some logs up to 150mph and send them to tuner to check things over.

At those speeds insurance is the least of my worries.

SmurfyBhoy 13 July 2018 09:53 PM

http://www.afpsubaru.co.uk/rollingroad.htm

Road mapping is the best way to go about it.

Dynos are for pub talk & the scoobynet leaderboard

Tidgy 13 July 2018 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 12018217)
http://www.afpsubaru.co.uk/rollingroad.htm

Road mapping is the best way to go about it.

Dynos are for pub talk & the scoobynet leaderboard

Depends who you ask, ive had that very discussion with andy himself, he admits the limitations of both.

Tidgy 13 July 2018 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Day (Post 12018201)
No point crying just yet, fingers crossed.

Hoping that's all it is, top man Brian at Cams Performance is doing a late night to get the engine out, heads off and asses..

If its headgasket then its a full rebuild inc bottom end, alot of the time bearings are damaged. Anyone claiming different is either crap or lacks enough experiance.

SmurfyBhoy 14 July 2018 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12018231)
If its headgasket then its a full rebuild inc bottom end, alot of the time bearings are damaged. Anyone claiming different is either crap or lacks enough experiance.

Dont see how a head gasket blowing results in bearing wear?

SmurfyBhoy 14 July 2018 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12018230)
Depends who you ask, ive had that very discussion with andy himself, he admits the limitations of both.

True tho

Left foot braking on the road can end in tears or broken laptop at least haha