ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   GR Series (08+) STi Uprated ARBs (Sway) (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/1054999-gr-series-08-sti-uprated-arbs-sway.html)

bonesetter 22 September 2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12027634)
So you've thrown me there, as I'm about to buy Superpro 20f/22r or 22f/24r as the existing 20/22 combo suits the spec C. What would be the expectation going up a size?

All previously owned scooby's I've fully suspension fettled, 22 front (hard) and 24 rear (medium) has worked fine. Like i've said, I hate understeer, so set-up for zero of that ever. I like to have the car 'turn' or pivot right in the middle - under the driver's seat!

From all I read, rear roll resistance changes on the hatch has more of an effect. Both superpro and Whiteline recommend 22 F&R, so with that in mind, I decided to go with that. With the front on hard, and the rear on medium, the car was I would describe 'solid' in other words, all aspects were safe, predictable and grippy front and rear. I knew things weren't quite the way I wanted though and swapping the front hole to soft got everything into the sweet spot - see gush post above

It all depends on what you're after. This is the nice thing about adjustable bars. Myself, I would say (with OE dampers/springs) 22 f&r bars should cover all tastes - you could dial in under or over steer, or somwhere in between

HTH's

Do let us know how you get on - you too Matty :)

hedgecutter 01 October 2018 08:37 AM

I`m fitting this kit now, but have found that the front bar is 5cm shorter than the old one that it is replacing; this makes the end links lean over, instead of being vertical.
Should I use some washers to line it up?
Overall, I`m not impressed with W.hiteline; poor instructions, badly printed, endlinks of different stiffness, and a part missing from a steering rack bush pack.

stockcar 01 October 2018 09:23 AM

sounds like you potentially have the wrong bar??

would personally get back in touch with the supplier.......

hedgecutter 01 October 2018 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 12028923)
sounds like you potentially have the wrong bar??

would personally get back in touch with the supplier.......

Yep, wrong bar, was BSF30Z, should be BSF39Z. But it was part of a kit, BSK011. On top of the bush extraction bolt missing from the rack kit ( everything else was there, plus an extra bush steel tube ) that`s 75% of parts incorrect so far. Should of phoned that north eastern bloke who used to advertise here, and it would`nt have happened!!
My Land`s End to Edinburgh trip starts Thursday, running out of time

stockcar 01 October 2018 01:24 PM

yes always best to deal with people in the know.........:thumb:

hedgecutter 01 October 2018 01:34 PM

I ordered the wrong kit, got confused with too many options!

RAGGY DOO 01 October 2018 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12028978)
I ordered the wrong kit, got confused with too many options!

you numpty

hedgecutter 04 December 2018 10:05 PM

As an update, I replaced my old front 23mm bar with a Superpro 22mm adjustable today, adjusted to hard (22.5), and moved the rear WL to soft. On a limited drive home, the rear felt more compliant, not quite so hard and jumpy in normal use ( The STI rear kit and spec c stiffer springs already reduced roll rates) The Whiteline finish does`nt compete with the Superpro, which is supplied with 23mm bushes, because of the coating. I should have painted the WL but did`nt have time, but they just peel.
All the STI parts are on now; rear flexible support R, rear lateral link kit, front flexible upper and lower braces, front chassis support kit. Voids filled at rear. Time for an alignment!

bonesetter 04 December 2018 10:43 PM

FFS HG - you still haven't got yourself an alignment done? :)

Cornwall - Scotland 2K mile trip, loads of suspension kit fitted, unhappy with handling...

Overdue?

I'd love to see the readings

hedgecutter 04 December 2018 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 12037001)
FFS HG - you still haven't got yourself an alignment done? :)

Cornwall - Scotland 2K mile trip, loads of suspension kit fitted, unhappy with handling...

Overdue?

I'd love to see the readings

I did have an alignment in Scotland, but it wasn't satisfactory, mainly because I had fitted everything on an uneven surface before I left, and they spent time sorting that instead. I found a very fussy guy for alignment down here, Steven Hatton motorsport, but he's still a fair way away

bonesetter 06 December 2018 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12037003)
I did have an alignment in Scotland, but it wasn't satisfactory, mainly because I had fitted everything on an uneven surface before I left, and they spent time sorting that instead. I found a very fussy guy for alignment down here, Steven Hatton motorsport, but he's still a fair way away

Ah yes, i had forgotten about the Scottish tinkering...

I know how frustrating it can be when you you're struggling to get your car's handling synergised, I hope you soon do - you'll definitely know when it is :)

Let's face it, your base car, with all the mods should be one of the best handling scoobs around

If you can't, I'll make you an offer on the motor :thumb: :lol1:

hedgecutter 06 December 2018 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 12037129)
Ah yes, i had forgotten about the Scottish tinkering...

I know how frustrating it can be when you you're struggling to get your car's handling synergised, I hope you soon do - you'll definitely know when it is :)

Let's face it, your base car, with all the mods should be one of the best handling scoobs around

If you can't, I'll make you an offer on the motor :thumb: :lol1:

To be honest, it was perfect out of the box. Another big input is the fact that the Michelin super sports are down to the indicators after 26 000 miles, moving into winter. I got a fresh set on black friday, 105 squid a corner, so stuck with the devil I know! Got winters to put on, but they strangle the handling.

bonesetter 06 December 2018 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12037139)
To be honest, it was perfect out of the box. Another big input is the fact that the Michelin super sports are down to the indicators after 26 000 miles, moving into winter. I got a fresh set on black friday, 105 squid a corner, so stuck with the devil I know! Got winters to put on, but they strangle the handling.

Hmmm... I'm not sure anything's quite perfect out of the box - especially Impreza handling :) One has to make it their own

26,000 miles on a set of tyres (albeit 'longer lasting' Michelins). You'd be a good chap to buy a car off. You sure you not thinking of selling (and buying that R205) :)

(I got 4,000 miles from a set of Bridgestone S001's on my Forester)

hedgecutter 06 December 2018 06:06 PM

Did you say that you viewed the grey r205 at Cheshire performance? Mine's a keeper now!

bonesetter 06 December 2018 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12037188)
Did you say that you viewed the grey r205 at Cheshire performance? Mine's a keeper now!

No, with all I heard about Cheshire Performance I decided to keep away

wrx9181 08 December 2018 11:53 AM

interesting read guys thanks

hedgecutter 21 February 2019 12:11 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...4c53004e6.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...ac989ef06.jpeg
Finally sorted!

Adw330s 28 February 2019 06:10 AM

So which front/rear settings would you go for after trying the different ones??

hedgecutter 28 February 2019 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Adw330s (Post 12046290)
So which front/rear settings would you go for after trying the different ones??

I've stuck with Peter Cambridge's recommendations, which are max camber on the front, tiny fraction of toe in front and rear. More importantly, the values are virtually equal on each side. The previous alignment had pulled the toe out of line as he tried to adjust the camber.

hedgecutter 28 February 2019 08:23 AM

Actually, there is no toe there at all, upon looking properly. I prefer a little toe in at front as it stops the steering feeling so light