ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Uk roads are like a 3rd world country (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1054568-uk-roads-are-like-a-3rd-world-country.html)

jaygsi 02 June 2018 10:37 AM

Uk roads are like a 3rd world country

I was talking to Mart other day about it. And he used the the expression uk roads are like a 3rd world country.

I remember going to Malta 10 years ago and shocked at how bad there roads were.

Now UK roads are starting to get just as bad. Not quite there yet but not far off. Is it the same everywhere? Heard Scotland has best condition of roads.

There's pot holes everywhere. I was following an Audi other and we were both zig zagging through the pot holes and naff road repairs.

CharlySkunkWeed 02 June 2018 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12012278)
I was talking to Mart other day about it. And he used the the expression uk roads are like a 3rd world country.

Now UK roads are starting to get just as bad. Not quite there yet but not far off. Is it the same everywhere? Heard Scotland has best condition of roads.

There's pot holes everywhere. I was following an Audi other and we were both zig zagging through the pot holes and naff road repairs.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...1cd19f5704.jpg
This is the road outside my house. Not the worst by any means but it's like that the whole way down it. Most streets in Northern Ireland are the same.

my main issue with this pic is, they only marked the 3 worst holes (I assume they have a criteria to work to) and I had a suspicion they would do what they did.
A. Why only fill some of and not all while at the site?
B. The bits that weren't filled are where your wheels run over !
C. Experience tells me that the rest aren't far away from meeting the criteria of needing filled , so the bits currently fixed haven't improved the section of road in any way. It like having a long crack on a wall and only fixing the deepest part. You still have a crack on the wall.

yet in Ni they will resurface a whole carriageway that didn't really need it , meanwhile the roads are a patchwork or varying degrees of damage and repairs.

madscoob 02 June 2018 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 12012293)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...1cd19f5704.jpg
This is the road outside my house. Not the worst by any means but it's like that the whole way down it. Most streets in Northern Ireland are the same.

my main issue with this pic is, they only marked the 3 worst holes (I assume they have a criteria to work to) and I had a suspicion they would do what they did.
A. Why only fill some of and not all while at the site?
B. The bits that weren't filled are where your wheels run over !
C. Experience tells me that the rest aren't far away from meeting the criteria of needing filled , so the bits currently fixed haven't improved the section of road in any way. It like having a long crack on a wall and only fixing the deepest part. You still have a crack on the wall.

yet in Ni they will resurface a whole carriageway that didn't really need it , meanwhile the roads are a patchwork or varying degrees of damage and repairs.

monkeys devon highways have just completly resurfaced a section of the a361 about 2 miles both sides, it was like a firking snooker table compared with other roads, just can't work out where thier brain is :rolleyes:

jaygsi 02 June 2018 12:38 PM

Wow thats not good, might be able to top that though.

Remember how they use to resurface most roads every seemed like 5 years, might have been longer, but they would resurface the whole road regardless of pot holes or not. Now they just fill bits in. And they 6 months later there's another whole.

hedgecutter 02 June 2018 06:13 PM

A mate of mine who is a biker visited us in Cornwall and was amazed at the quality of road surfaces, possibly a combo of lack of frost and funds for euro tourist areas. Soon as we had the beast from the east and its little brother, they all started breaking up.
But if you think ours are bad, go to Northern Italy.

Fishbowlhead 02 June 2018 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi

Anyone who says this clearly hasn't been to a 3rd world country.

Now do we need better procedures for repair and prevention? Definitely.

I was reading an article a while back about the USA. Apparently the country needs near on 1.5trillion in funds to sort their roads and infrastructure out again due to the extreme disrepair it's all in. It's got so bad that a lot of smaller towns are going back to hardpack gravel roads as it's easy and super cheap to maintain, with the federal government giving them little choice due to no funds for maintenance of tarmac and concrete roads.

joz8968 02 June 2018 08:07 PM

joz8968 02 June 2018 08:10 PM

Pot holes? Or . . .

. . . https://www.groundzeroweb.com/top-10...-polish-women/

:D

R666ORY+1 03 June 2018 04:20 AM

If you spend any time in third world countries you will soon realise our roads are very good in comparison but it can be very hit (pardon the pun) and miss. Scotland has some great driving roads in both vista and quality. The issue is you never know when that will change, even at the speed limit you could go round a bend and find the road has changed from a grippy well formed surface to carnage. At legal speeds for that stretch of road make it dangerous. There are 30mph roads that are just as dangerous as the upper end of 60mph roads for example.

Hawkeye D 03 June 2018 09:07 AM

Surrey roads are pretty bad. 20 years overdue resurfacing in the Guildford area.
Places like Haslemere, Elstead, Puttenham, Farnham etc must be some of the most expensive areas to live in the country, but they drive on seriously bad roads.

Hampshire in this area at least do some repairs in a more timely manner than Surrey....just.

Motorcyclists run more risk.

If you know the road you're driving on well, then you stand a chance to slalom round potholes, but if you don't know the road, you can easily get caught out.

Manhole covers is another classic, right in line with your tyres! WTF lol

jaygsi 04 June 2018 01:00 PM

If they resurface on a regular basis then wouldn't need to mess with pot holes. 3rd world country statement might be ott, but its on a slippy slope.

Remember going Malta 10 years ago and thinking there roads were bad, as they have pot holes everywhere, curb stones missing. The roads were like a farm track.

RobsyUK 04 June 2018 02:57 PM

In mk they used to fill a hole but ignore the small ones near it.now they have a fancy machine that sprays sticky tarmac down. It seems to work and they fill every hole big or small.

the roads still look awful but it’s better then they had before

jaygsi 05 June 2018 01:00 AM

Where's this mk?

RobsyUK 05 June 2018 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12012686)
Where's this mk?

Milton Keynes

jaygsi 05 June 2018 10:28 AM

Oh I see. We have no machines just a guy with a shovel lol

Rusti 05 June 2018 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by madscoob (Post 12012294)
monkeys devon highways have just completly resurfaced a section of the a361 about 2 miles both sides, it was like a firking snooker table compared with other roads, just can't work out where thier brain is :rolleyes:

If i does a crap job, I gotta job for life mush! :brickwall:brickwall:brickwall:brickwall

hampshire spend their whole time just chucking quick set in a hole full of water with a shovel and moving on, some dont even last a week.

lack of money, lack of motivation, and road users never wanting to be held up by road works.

The Japanese shut whole roads overnight, pull the whole thing up resurface and open in the morning we should be doing a lot more of this :thumb:

jaygsi 06 June 2018 01:51 PM

UK started doing that, thought it was a cracking idea, only use to work in the day. Now they work at night alot.

Only thing i can think of is lack of funding.

I just wonder how bad the roads will get.

16vmini 06 June 2018 01:58 PM

someone has spray painted a couple of penis on two huge pot holes up near me

joz8968 06 June 2018 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 16vmini (Post 12012932)
someone has spray painted a couple of penis on two huge pot holes up near me

:lol1:

Brits. :D

NotFromSomerset 06 June 2018 07:29 PM

Like anything these days not enough money to sort it all, despite purchase tax, road tax, fuel duty etc etc... :rolleyes:

gussy 06 June 2018 09:23 PM

We need to take a lesson off the Germans their roads are brill I have just come back from driving over there and Austria not a single pothole to be seen or roadworks