ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Uk roads are like a 3rd world country

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2018, 10:37 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Uk roads are like a 3rd world country

I was talking to Mart other day about it. And he used the the expression uk roads are like a 3rd world country.

I remember going to Malta 10 years ago and shocked at how bad there roads were.

Now UK roads are starting to get just as bad. Not quite there yet but not far off. Is it the same everywhere? Heard Scotland has best condition of roads.

There's pot holes everywhere. I was following an Audi other and we were both zig zagging through the pot holes and naff road repairs.
Old 02 June 2018, 11:48 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
I was talking to Mart other day about it. And he used the the expression uk roads are like a 3rd world country.

Now UK roads are starting to get just as bad. Not quite there yet but not far off. Is it the same everywhere? Heard Scotland has best condition of roads.

There's pot holes everywhere. I was following an Audi other and we were both zig zagging through the pot holes and naff road repairs.

This is the road outside my house. Not the worst by any means but it's like that the whole way down it. Most streets in Northern Ireland are the same.

my main issue with this pic is, they only marked the 3 worst holes (I assume they have a criteria to work to) and I had a suspicion they would do what they did.
A. Why only fill some of and not all while at the site?
B. The bits that weren't filled are where your wheels run over !
C. Experience tells me that the rest aren't far away from meeting the criteria of needing filled , so the bits currently fixed haven't improved the section of road in any way. It like having a long crack on a wall and only fixing the deepest part. You still have a crack on the wall.

yet in Ni they will resurface a whole carriageway that didn't really need it , meanwhile the roads are a patchwork or varying degrees of damage and repairs.
Old 02 June 2018, 11:57 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed

This is the road outside my house. Not the worst by any means but it's like that the whole way down it. Most streets in Northern Ireland are the same.

my main issue with this pic is, they only marked the 3 worst holes (I assume they have a criteria to work to) and I had a suspicion they would do what they did.
A. Why only fill some of and not all while at the site?
B. The bits that weren't filled are where your wheels run over !
C. Experience tells me that the rest aren't far away from meeting the criteria of needing filled , so the bits currently fixed haven't improved the section of road in any way. It like having a long crack on a wall and only fixing the deepest part. You still have a crack on the wall.

yet in Ni they will resurface a whole carriageway that didn't really need it , meanwhile the roads are a patchwork or varying degrees of damage and repairs.
monkeys devon highways have just completly resurfaced a section of the a361 about 2 miles both sides, it was like a firking snooker table compared with other roads, just can't work out where thier brain is
Old 02 June 2018, 12:38 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Wow thats not good, might be able to top that though.

Remember how they use to resurface most roads every seemed like 5 years, might have been longer, but they would resurface the whole road regardless of pot holes or not. Now they just fill bits in. And they 6 months later there's another whole.
Old 02 June 2018, 06:13 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

A mate of mine who is a biker visited us in Cornwall and was amazed at the quality of road surfaces, possibly a combo of lack of frost and funds for euro tourist areas. Soon as we had the beast from the east and its little brother, they all started breaking up.
But if you think ours are bad, go to Northern Italy.
Old 02 June 2018, 07:22 PM
Fishbowlhead
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who says this clearly hasn't been to a 3rd world country.

Now do we need better procedures for repair and prevention? Definitely.

I was reading an article a while back about the USA. Apparently the country needs near on 1.5trillion in funds to sort their roads and infrastructure out again due to the extreme disrepair it's all in. It's got so bad that a lot of smaller towns are going back to hardpack gravel roads as it's easy and super cheap to maintain, with the federal government giving them little choice due to no funds for maintenance of tarmac and concrete roads.

Last edited by Fishbowlhead; 02 June 2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02 June 2018, 08:07 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 02 June 2018, 08:10 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Pot holes? Or . . .

. . . https://www.groundzeroweb.com/top-10...-polish-women/

Last edited by joz8968; 02 June 2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03 June 2018, 04:20 AM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If you spend any time in third world countries you will soon realise our roads are very good in comparison but it can be very hit (pardon the pun) and miss. Scotland has some great driving roads in both vista and quality. The issue is you never know when that will change, even at the speed limit you could go round a bend and find the road has changed from a grippy well formed surface to carnage. At legal speeds for that stretch of road make it dangerous. There are 30mph roads that are just as dangerous as the upper end of 60mph roads for example.
Old 03 June 2018, 09:07 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Surrey roads are pretty bad. 20 years overdue resurfacing in the Guildford area.
Places like Haslemere, Elstead, Puttenham, Farnham etc must be some of the most expensive areas to live in the country, but they drive on seriously bad roads.

Hampshire in this area at least do some repairs in a more timely manner than Surrey....just.

Motorcyclists run more risk.

If you know the road you're driving on well, then you stand a chance to slalom round potholes, but if you don't know the road, you can easily get caught out.

Manhole covers is another classic, right in line with your tyres! WTF lol

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 03 June 2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04 June 2018, 01:00 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

If they resurface on a regular basis then wouldn't need to mess with pot holes. 3rd world country statement might be ott, but its on a slippy slope.

Remember going Malta 10 years ago and thinking there roads were bad, as they have pot holes everywhere, curb stones missing. The roads were like a farm track.
Old 04 June 2018, 02:57 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

In mk they used to fill a hole but ignore the small ones near it.now they have a fancy machine that sprays sticky tarmac down. It seems to work and they fill every hole big or small.

the roads still look awful but it’s better then they had before
Old 05 June 2018, 01:00 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Where's this mk?
Old 05 June 2018, 06:51 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Where's this mk?
Milton Keynes
Old 05 June 2018, 10:28 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Oh I see. We have no machines just a guy with a shovel lol
Old 05 June 2018, 03:43 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by madscoob
monkeys devon highways have just completly resurfaced a section of the a361 about 2 miles both sides, it was like a firking snooker table compared with other roads, just can't work out where thier brain is
If i does a crap job, I gotta job for life mush!

hampshire spend their whole time just chucking quick set in a hole full of water with a shovel and moving on, some dont even last a week.

lack of money, lack of motivation, and road users never wanting to be held up by road works.

The Japanese shut whole roads overnight, pull the whole thing up resurface and open in the morning we should be doing a lot more of this
Old 06 June 2018, 01:51 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

UK started doing that, thought it was a cracking idea, only use to work in the day. Now they work at night alot.

Only thing i can think of is lack of funding.

I just wonder how bad the roads will get.
Old 06 June 2018, 01:58 PM
16vmini
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

someone has spray painted a couple of ***** on two huge pot holes up near me
Old 06 June 2018, 02:04 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmini
someone has spray painted a couple of ***** on two huge pot holes up near me

Brits.
Old 06 June 2018, 07:29 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like anything these days not enough money to sort it all, despite purchase tax, road tax, fuel duty etc etc...
Old 06 June 2018, 09:23 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We need to take a lesson off the Germans their roads are brill I have just come back from driving over there and Austria not a single pothole to be seen or roadworks