ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Hawkeye or type r (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1053191-hawkeye-or-type-r.html)

iceicebaby1980 07 March 2018 05:23 PM

Hawkeye or type r

Hi I bought a aspen white wrx sti Hawkeye of the forum last year . I abousoutly love the car but I've recently been thinking about getting a wrx sti type r . A friend of mine has said the gear boxes are not very good and you need to do a six speed conversion for reliability and running more power . Any thoughts of any one who had owned a type r and a new-age would be welcome .

The Trooper 1815 07 March 2018 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by iceicebaby1980 (Post 11999242)
Hi I bought a aspen white wrx sti Hawkeye of the forum last year . I abousoutly love the car but I've recently been thinking about getting a wrx sti type r . A friend of mine has said the gear boxes are not very good and you need to do a six speed conversion for reliability and running more power . Any thoughts of any one who had owned a type r and a new-age would be welcome .

Two totally different cars. Weight, ability, build etc are light years apart. Drive both then decide.

iceicebaby1980 07 March 2018 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11999243)
Two totally different cars. Weight, ability, build etc are light years apart. Drive both then decide.

hi I know the type is lighter and it's ment to be a more raw driving experience. But you mentioned ability build etc if you could give me some more details. I've got a type r in mind that I should be looking at next weak

Tidgy 07 March 2018 06:28 PM

its very very differnt car indeed, drive one and see is the best advice. Type R as said is much more raw, noise, acceleration and how it drives, it's much more tail happy. There arn't driver aids so no traction control or ABS and the only thing you have to play with is the DCCD.

The gearbox is a 5 speed and is very short ratio (you'll be sitting at 4k rpm at motorway speeds) so depends on if you plan on doing alot of motorway driving.

As far as modding goes depends how far you want to go and what your budget is.

Also the 2.0 will drive very differnt to the 2.5.

they really are chalk and cheese.

Personal choice, daily a hawk, weekend toy a type R.

What i can tell you is a 2.5 6 speed type r is an absolute hoot :D

gc8simon 07 March 2018 07:36 PM

What hawkeye have you got? Any photo’s of it as im on the lookout for on myself and if your buying a type R..

99greenwagon 07 March 2018 07:59 PM

type r is light and is a good car, but to run power in excess of 400bhp will require an engine build, clutch, gearbox etc. just bere in mind type r is also a very old car.
a type r fully built is properly is very quick. hawkeye much newer etc. as said above two totally different cars. if budget is fairly strict i would opt for the hawkeye.

iceicebaby1980 07 March 2018 08:12 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...28f27f28a0.jpg
[QUOTE=gc8simon;11999263]
What hawkeye have you got? Any photo’s of it as im on the lookout for on myself and if your buying a type R..
Pmd

gc8simon 07 March 2018 08:24 PM

Nice that, was hoping it was a jdm spec over Uk though, otherwise perfect spec.

iceicebaby1980 07 March 2018 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by gc8simon (Post 11999263)

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11999254)
its very very differnt car indeed, drive one and see is the best advice. Type R as said is much more raw, noise, acceleration and how it drives, it's much more tail happy. There arn't driver aids so no traction control or ABS and the only thing you have to play with is the DCCD.

The gearbox is a 5 speed and is very short ratio (you'll be sitting at 4k rpm at motorway speeds) so depends on if you plan on doing alot of motorway driving.

As far as modding goes depends how far you want to go and what your budget is.

Also the 2.0 will drive very differnt to the 2.5.

they really are chalk and cheese.

Personal choice, daily a hawk, weekend toy a type R.

What i can tell you is a 2.5 6 speed type r is an absolute hoot :D

Originally Posted by gc8simon (Post 11999267)

Nice that, was hoping it was a jdm spec over Uk though, otherwise perfect spec.

it's a top car been well looked after by me and the previous owners . Could be making a big mistake changing cars . Will go and have a look at the type r next week and see what I think .

99greenwagon 07 March 2018 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=iceicebaby1980;11999265]
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...28f27f28a0.jpg

Originally Posted by gc8simon (Post 11999263)
Pmd

thats a nice car. keep it! ;)

ossett2k2 07 March 2018 09:27 PM

Or buy a spec C Type RA-R best of both worlds :)

big_rob_sydney 07 March 2018 09:31 PM

I've had a JDM new age STI (MY04), and also bought my 22B with a 6 speed in it, then converted it back to standard, so hopefully I've covered all options in your query.

From my point of view, I thought the MY04 was a nice step up from what I'd had before (and even that was a classic JDM STI). I thought it felt pretty quick, and was almost like a limo in comparison.

The 22B (which is a bit like the type r you're talking about) came with the 6 speed, which seemed to be over engineered as far as the gearbox goes. Maybe its a bit like saying everything else felt so raw, and then the gearbox as "modern"...

When I went back to the 5 speed box of bolts, everything seemed to be about the same level of rawness.

As for how it all felt, I did prefer the older cars, no doubt. The newer ones seemed to isolate you from the road a little more, it was more compliant in the suspension, it also had wider tyres, and generally felt more solid. But the older classics are lighter, felt a bit more flickable, and I think maybe the best way I'd describe how I felt was that the new age is an everyday car, whereas the classics are more weekend cars, if that makes sense.

Agree 100% on the comments around how far you plan to mod. The 5 speed gearbox wont handle anywhere near the abuse that a 6 will, although I understand with the 4.444 ratios out there, they arent that bad, but if you do plan to go nuts, then a 6 speed is a good insurance policy.

kingofturds 07 March 2018 10:17 PM

I was in the same dilemma. I went for a v5 type r in the end, and don't regret it. I only really use the car at weekends though. If I needed a daily car the hawkeye would have been more practical.

iceicebaby1980 07 March 2018 10:24 PM

Ive got a Vauxhall signum diesel for my daily . If I got a type r it would be used on a regular basis but kept off the roads when gritters have been out .

kingofturds 07 March 2018 10:43 PM

Your best bet is to test drive one really. Gearboxes don't tend to be a problem, unless they are heavily modified. And if you don't get on with the 5 speed . There are quite a few out there with 6 speed conversions.

rickybobby 07 March 2018 11:33 PM

Im an old fart with a 400 odd bhp blob, and last year a mate gave me the chance to drive his 400 Type R.

All I can say is wow, as many have said above, they are poles apart in almost every department. His has a 6 speed non dccd, which I thought would spoil the experience somewhat but boy was I wrong. The 1st 4 gears disappear at an alarming rate, the sensation of speed and connection to the road is massive compared to my car.

I had to sit down and have a serious think regarding what I wanted from a car, and ultimately I've stuck with my blob as its where I wanted it and the practicality of a 2 door wouldnt suit us.

You definitely need to drive one before making any sort of decision

NotFromSomerset 08 March 2018 06:13 AM

What about the type r is more appealing to you over the hawk? If it's that rawness your after consider a spec c hawk? Miles ahead of the UK version in every department imo and gives you that raw direct driving feel. I'm in love with mine doubt I'll ever sell it tbh

iceicebaby1980 08 March 2018 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by NotFromSomerset (Post 11999307)
What about the type r is more appealing to you over the hawk? If it's that rawness your after consider a spec c hawk? Miles ahead of the UK version in every department imo and gives you that raw direct driving feel. I'm in love with mine doubt I'll ever sell it tbh

Im after getting Somthing a bit more old Skool Somthing fun to drive being lighter . I also like how they look being two doors . The way prices are going with the type r . I feel now is the time to get one before they become to exspensive . Also the car I'm going to view has been checked over no exspense spared . So I know it would be a good buy .

Fms 666 14 March 2018 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=iceicebaby1980;11999308]

Im after getting Somthing a bit more old Skool Somthing fun to drive being lighter . I also like how they look being two doors . The way prices are going with the type r . I feel now is the time to get one before they become to exspensive . Also the car I'm going to view has been checked over no exspense spared . So I know it would be a good buy .
[/QUOT

Is it in Wales? Version 6