ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   I'm an idiot.... (ABS ring) (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1049332-im-an-idiot-abs-ring.html)

Ash Webster 14 August 2017 10:45 AM

I'm an idiot.... (ABS ring)

Forgot to put ABS ring back on and have got the garage to press in my front hubs before I had put the ABS ring back on. Reassembled all my hubs wishbones driveshaft etc yesterday. Long story short I've been rushing to get the car back together as it needs to be moved imminently

Is it possible/safe to drive the car without the abs ring on? (5 min drive) I don't fancy doing a whole delete and ill be taking the hubs off again once its back and putting the ABS rings back on.

Ash

ZANY 14 August 2017 01:40 PM

If your unsure pal just get it recovered

We all make mistakes especially when rushing :brickwall

BEST BIT IS ASH YOU ARE NOW A
SELF CONFESSED IDIOT :luxhello: :D

Kinda made my day pal... :thumb:

Hope you sort it without further stress

Ash Webster 14 August 2017 02:44 PM

Haha cheers Zany :D:D I felt like such a nob when my bro was like - where do these parts go? and then proceeded to show me the box with the abs rings and bolts in >.<

Ash Webster 14 August 2017 04:10 PM

FYI for anyone else who's done this - been reading up a bit today and it turns out since the ABS tone ring isn't load bearing (its just a hall sensor circuit no?), its possible to just cut the ring in two, put it round the hub then screw it back in.

This works if you have broken your tone ring also and have a gap missing. Just buy a new ring for cheap and do that method. As long as there are no massive gaps inbetween the ring it should work.

A LOT cheaper/less time consuming than pulling the hub out and risking damaging bearings.

gazzawrx 14 August 2017 07:20 PM

Itll be fine to drive, once you start the car the first minute the brakes will be shocking until the abs light comes on then once the light comes on the system is disabled so it will brake fine.

I wouldnt advise cutting the tone ring to fit it tbh, i broke mine on the rear when i went to change the wheel bearing as i forgot to release the hand brake when i pulled the disk off:brickwall, i welded it bk together and tidied up the welds so it was the same as if it never snapped but it still wouldnt have it, the pickups are it seems really sensitive, i bought a new one in the end at £200 from subaru:cry:

stamina_daddy 14 August 2017 08:33 PM

Yes they are very sensitive.
mine wouldn't work with a hairline crack.
I just bought a 2nd hand whole hub.

Ash Webster 15 August 2017 09:55 AM

hmm.. I've just seen the prices of a new abs ring - ~£90. I'm just debating what's more costly - pulling the hubs (I don't have a press the garage charged me £50 to press in new bearings) , or attempting to do the JBWeld method (cutting in half and 'glueing' back together, apparently you can sand the JBweld so its exactly the same as before.

Ash Webster 15 August 2017 09:56 AM

but yeh cheers for the advice - ill probably get it moved first and then see if I can afford to get the hubs apart again

ZANY 15 August 2017 07:02 PM

I've got access to a press bro bearings etc not a problem

if you take them off and bring them down ash you can use it or I'll sort FOC if that helps without snapping your abs rings up to you pal :thumb:

Ash Webster 16 August 2017 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11959867)
I've got access to a press bro bearings etc not a problem

if you take them off and bring them down ash you can use it or I'll sort FOC if that helps without snapping your abs rings up to you pal :thumb:

Top man Zany! I might have to take you up on that offer in a month or so (Y) gotta fix the rest of the car, back to mine then apart again :D hopefully should be easier to take apart with new bolts rather than 20 year old rusted bolts

ZANY 16 August 2017 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Webster (Post 11960013)
Top man Zany! I might have to take you up on that offer in a month or so (Y) gotta fix the rest of the car, back to mine then apart again :D hopefully should be easier to take apart with new bolts rather than 20 year old rusted bolts

Pm sent :thumb: