Notices

I'm an idiot.... (ABS ring)

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2017, 10:45 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm an idiot.... (ABS ring)

Forgot to put ABS ring back on and have got the garage to press in my front hubs before I had put the ABS ring back on. Reassembled all my hubs wishbones driveshaft etc yesterday. Long story short I've been rushing to get the car back together as it needs to be moved imminently

Is it possible/safe to drive the car without the abs ring on? (5 min drive) I don't fancy doing a whole delete and ill be taking the hubs off again once its back and putting the ABS rings back on.

Ash
Old 14 August 2017, 01:40 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

If your unsure pal just get it recovered

We all make mistakes especially when rushing

BEST BIT IS ASH YOU ARE NOW A
SELF CONFESSED IDIOT

Kinda made my day pal...

Hope you sort it without further stress
Old 14 August 2017, 02:44 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Haha cheers Zany I felt like such a *** when my bro was like - where do these parts go? and then proceeded to show me the box with the abs rings and bolts in >.<
Old 14 August 2017, 04:10 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

FYI for anyone else who's done this - been reading up a bit today and it turns out since the ABS tone ring isn't load bearing (its just a hall sensor circuit no?), its possible to just cut the ring in two, put it round the hub then screw it back in.

This works if you have broken your tone ring also and have a gap missing. Just buy a new ring for cheap and do that method. As long as there are no massive gaps inbetween the ring it should work.

A LOT cheaper/less time consuming than pulling the hub out and risking damaging bearings.
Old 14 August 2017, 07:20 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Itll be fine to drive, once you start the car the first minute the brakes will be shocking until the abs light comes on then once the light comes on the system is disabled so it will brake fine.

I wouldnt advise cutting the tone ring to fit it tbh, i broke mine on the rear when i went to change the wheel bearing as i forgot to release the hand brake when i pulled the disk off, i welded it bk together and tidied up the welds so it was the same as if it never snapped but it still wouldnt have it, the pickups are it seems really sensitive, i bought a new one in the end at £200 from subaru
Old 14 August 2017, 08:33 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes they are very sensitive.
mine wouldn't work with a hairline crack.
I just bought a 2nd hand whole hub.
Old 15 August 2017, 09:55 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

hmm.. I've just seen the prices of a new abs ring - ~£90. I'm just debating what's more costly - pulling the hubs (I don't have a press the garage charged me £50 to press in new bearings) , or attempting to do the JBWeld method (cutting in half and 'glueing' back together, apparently you can sand the JBweld so its exactly the same as before.
Old 15 August 2017, 09:56 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

but yeh cheers for the advice - ill probably get it moved first and then see if I can afford to get the hubs apart again
Old 15 August 2017, 07:02 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

I've got access to a press bro bearings etc not a problem

if you take them off and bring them down ash you can use it or I'll sort FOC if that helps without snapping your abs rings up to you pal
Old 16 August 2017, 09:45 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
I've got access to a press bro bearings etc not a problem

if you take them off and bring them down ash you can use it or I'll sort FOC if that helps without snapping your abs rings up to you pal

Top man Zany! I might have to take you up on that offer in a month or so (Y) gotta fix the rest of the car, back to mine then apart again hopefully should be easier to take apart with new bolts rather than 20 year old rusted bolts
Old 16 August 2017, 12:18 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ash Webster
Top man Zany! I might have to take you up on that offer in a month or so (Y) gotta fix the rest of the car, back to mine then apart again hopefully should be easier to take apart with new bolts rather than 20 year old rusted bolts
Pm sent