ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Morphine & Booze (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1046509-morphine-and-booze.html)

David Lock 05 April 2017 08:27 PM

Morphine & Booze

My old mate of 50 plus years has caught C in a big way. Now in his leg, a kidney and possibly his brain. He has a few weeks left. He is at home with care and resisting calls for him to go into a hospice. I am unable to visit him but had a longish chat on the phone.

He is in a lot of pain and on morphine which does help. He told me he would love to have a drink but Dr said he shouldn't whilst he is on morphine. But he would say that wouldn't he :Whatever_

So should I say "sod it do what you want" or is it likely there would be a serious reaction. This dilemma is way above my pay scale so what do you think?

Thank you, no jokes please. David

DTB 05 April 2017 08:32 PM

Having skim read through this I think it would be a very bad idea.

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/morp...lcohol.141793/

Hope that helps. Sorry to hear about your mate.

David Lock 05 April 2017 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by DTB (Post 11931040)
Having skim read through this I think it would be a very bad idea.

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/morp...lcohol.141793/

Hope that helps. Sorry to hear about your mate.

Well that seems pretty clear. Thanks for that. I'll have to drink for him then ;)

David

RAGGY DOO 05 April 2017 08:42 PM

Smoke some green be much better for him

David Lock 05 April 2017 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 11931044)

Not sure his carer would approve although I do agree with you...........

D

alcazar 05 April 2017 09:19 PM

I used to be on slow release morphine, 30mg, twice daily.

I enjoyed a drink, but not to excess and had no adverse reactions. It depends on how much morphine and if it's slow release or not.

I HATED the morphine itch........

RAGGY DOO 05 April 2017 09:19 PM

Or you could make some oil and give it to him that way

hedgecutter 05 April 2017 09:48 PM

I found a single beer mixed very well with the opiate pills that I was once on; whether it was good for me is another matter. Canna oil is widely used as an alternative cancer treatment, with some success. It's an evil illness that touches too many, all the best to your friend.

steve05wrx 06 April 2017 04:21 AM

Hi,
If your friend is on high dose morphine and then consumes alcohol - the risk is that this will depress his respiration and he will stop breathing.
Some might say that if he is really suffering - then that is not a bad thing.
Cheers
Steve

ZANY 06 April 2017 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 11931044)

Agree

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 11931049)
Not sure his carer would approve although I do agree with you...........

D

My freind Sean passed away last week I spent the last 8 years shouting oreeet Sean! From the kitchen door But now he's gone he was only 48 never easy losing a friend to C
if you need help with anything I can sort for you pm me :thumb:

njkmrs 06 April 2017 05:50 PM

Sorry to hear about your mate.
Just been to a mates funeral today , he was 51.
Told he had liver cancer just 8 weeks ago.
It s a cruel disease.
As said, would it be a bad way to go if he stopped breathing now ,if he is n such pain?
Difficult one to be honest. The beer option for me I think.

David Lock 06 April 2017 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by njkmrs (Post 11931195)
Sorry to hear about your mate.
Just been to a mates funeral today , he was 51.
Told he had liver cancer just 8 weeks ago.
It s a cruel disease.
As said, would it be a bad way to go if he stopped breathing now ,if he is n such pain?
Difficult one to be honest. The beer option for me I think.

51, s,hit that's too young.

I spoke to my pal briefly but didn't mention any thoughts re booze but I might mention a small can of Guinness next time.

Pleased to say he still has a sense of humour as he was saying if he is forced into a hospice there is only one way he would leave, horizontally. I said he might as well get a deck chair and sit and wait in the cemetery which he smiled at ;)

Thanks all for your understanding

David

njkmrs 06 April 2017 07:50 PM

Yep way too young .
He did have us laughing all the way to the end though.
He went out with the music from the end of tom and jerry cartoon with a "that's all folks" to finish it as he disappeared through the curtains.
Now that I have not witnessed before.
It is amazing to see how he accepted his fate and his family stayed so strong .

Hopefully your mate wont suffer too much and im sure a can of Guinness will not harm him too much.

Dingdongler 09 April 2017 09:38 AM

Personally, if I only had a few weeks to live I'd eat and drink whatever I damn well pleased. I'd probably take up smoking again as well!

Sorry to hear about your mate DL, hopefully he will see out his time peacefully.

Turbohot 09 April 2017 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 11931199)
51, s,hit that's too young.

I spoke to my pal briefly but didn't mention any thoughts re booze but I might mention a small can of Guinness next time.

Pleased to say he still has a sense of humour as he was saying if he is forced into a hospice there is only one way he would leave, horizontally. I said he might as well get a deck chair and sit and wait in the cemetery which he smiled at ;)

Thanks all for your understanding

David

So, he is now nearer to the end of his life.

In that case.....

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11931753)
Personally, if I only had a few weeks to live I'd eat and drink whatever I damn well pleased. I'd probably take up smoking again as well!

Sorry to hear about your mate DL, hopefully he will see out his time peacefully.

+1.

My mother in law (much older; 77) is in a similar situation due to her various ailments, not Cancer, but no end-of-life medical declaration has been made for her yet. So, she's on controlled intake in the hospital. The day it becomes known that she's quite near to depart the world, I'll suggest to the family to feed her what she likes. But by then, she will not be able to eat and enjoy any food intake properly. She's already there with this thought of her favourite foods being tempting to her, but intake nearly impossible. She asked for cheese and biscuits from M&S the other day, but could only manage 1/3rd of a small biscuit coated with cheese. A difficult one.

David Lock 14 April 2017 01:00 PM

Well just to close this thread. My old pal bailed out last night. He was taken to a hospice a couple of days ago and spent most of his time sleeping which I guess was due to generous shots of morphine and died in his sleep.

Oddly I don't feel especially sad but slightly depressed that death faces us all.

But some good memories of fun together going back 50 years. I'll raise my glass to you tonight Richard.

David

Turbohot 14 April 2017 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 11932871)
Well just to close this thread. My old pal bailed out last night. He was taken to a hospice a couple of days ago and spent most of his time sleeping which I guess was due to generous shots of morphine and died in his sleep.

Oddly I don't feel especially sad but slightly depressed that death faces us all.

But some good memories of fun together going back 50 years. I'll raise my glass to you tonight Richard.

David

David, may your friend rest in peace.

ZANY 14 April 2017 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 11932871)

David

My thoughts are with you pal .. rip

Hey atleast you've got good memories to remind you of all the good times you had and that's going to be priceless to get you through these times I know exactly what your going through
unfortunately we all have to go one day and to never going to be easy mate

RAGGY DOO 14 April 2017 03:19 PM

Rip mate very sorry for your loss

njkmrs 14 April 2017 06:29 PM

Sorry to hear.
The memories will remain so enjoy a drink for him tonight.
Life really is too short which is very easy to forget in this day and age.

David Lock 14 April 2017 07:15 PM

Thanks guys and TH, David

Dingdongler 16 April 2017 06:27 AM

Very sad, I've lost plenty of older family members but never a peer. Not looking forward to that day.

All the best