ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Housing Costs (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1045651-housing-costs.html)

David Lock 26 February 2017 05:11 PM

Housing Costs

My daughter cannot afford £200k + for a pokey house in SW but there are plenty of waterways in her vicinity. She could get a nicely kitted out narrow boat for £30-£40, get it properly inspected and live in a peaceful area and even get a mortgage according to Google.

So is this such a crazy idea?

David

dpb 26 February 2017 05:26 PM

How much does the mooring cost / does it have pump out facilities etc ?

lived on a boat for 14 years , but that was in a marina

mine was a lot less salubrious than a canal barge

dpb 26 February 2017 05:28 PM

What about shared ownership , house

96sti 26 February 2017 05:36 PM

You could all ways look in to the static mobile homes some of then are lovely and now with most holiday parks offering 50 weeks a year not bad atal

dpb 26 February 2017 05:40 PM

I think canal barge easier to heat , and liable to get closer to inner city

Matty81 26 February 2017 05:50 PM

£200k is good for a house if you can afford it. Try living in the south east. £320k for a 3bed :brickwall

David Lock 26 February 2017 05:58 PM

I have no ideas about the important details, I was just flagging it up as an idea. I'll make a few calls in the week and get a better feel for the possibilities. Yes ther are some nice Park Homes but high annual fees and sudden changes in ownership can cause problems.

But if my daughter did go down the water route she and her b/f could tuck away £1000 per month which in a year or two would be enough for a house deposit and perhaps even keep the boat and rent it out for a monthly income. Who knows. David

PS. There was an SN mod, Sally, who was in the trade and I might even give her a call for advice.

96sti 26 February 2017 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 11922277)
I have no ideas about the important details, I was just flagging it up as an idea. I'll make a few calls in the week and get a better feel for the possibilities. Yes ther are some nice Park Homes but high annual fees and sudden changes in ownership can cause problems.

But if my daughter did go down the water route she and her b/f could tuck away £1000 per month which in a year or two would be enough for a house deposit and perhaps even keep the boat and rent it out for a monthly income. Who knows. David

PS. There was an SN mod, Sally, who was in the trade and I might even give her a call for advice.

£3195 per year ground rent
Finance depending on what price tag you go for
Water £200 per year
Electricity 200-300 per year
All in 1000-1200 pm

dpb 07 April 2017 10:59 AM

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...cid=spartanntp

goodness knows how this happened , all of a sudden ...through open hatch

David Lock 07 April 2017 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11931356)
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...cid=spartanntp

goodness knows how this happened , all of a sudden ...through open hatch

When I first read this I assumed rotten hull but just seems real bad luck and odd that a hatch left open by mistake can flood the whole boat. Feel sorry for the kid and hope much of her kit can be salvaged. Nice comments on the canal community.

dl

Tidgy 07 April 2017 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 11931377)
When I first read this I assumed rotten hull but just seems real bad luck and odd that a hatch left open by mistake can flood the whole boat. Feel sorry for the kid and hope much of her kit can be salvaged. Nice comments on the canal community.

dl

I'd assume air pressure will help keep some of the water out so keep it afloat if the hatches are closed.

dpb 07 April 2017 01:12 PM

Hatches wouldn't be water tight or anything like on this kind vessel

easy salvage though ( not far to drop)

tony de wonderful 07 April 2017 06:27 PM

I saw a sunken canal boat on a local canal a few months back. Probably quite easy to raise as you say, just jury rig a patch and put a pump on it.

andy97 09 April 2017 07:38 AM

Why would anyone want to live in an area where house prices are just ridiculous and pollution through the roof. Up here in Lincolnshire £200K, will buy a very nice detached house, I even built a very nice, large 2 bed detached bungalow with garage for £130K.

dpb 13 April 2017 07:43 AM

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ind...836.html%3Famp

;)

markjmd 13 April 2017 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 11922255)
My daughter cannot afford £200k + for a pokey house in SW but there are plenty of waterways in her vicinity. She could get a nicely kitted out narrow boat for £30-£40, get it properly inspected and live in a peaceful area and even get a mortgage according to Google.

So is this such a crazy idea?

David

Bit of a late reply, but since the thread came back up anyway, your daughter would need to be a bit careful with this, as I'm pretty sure many waterway management authorities (or whatever they're actually called) have quite tight regulations on using boats as permanent dwellings. As with all things, read the fine print and check out all the legal ins and outs carefully before committing.

David Lock 13 April 2017 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 11932730)
Bit of a late reply, but since the thread came back up anyway, your daughter would need to be a bit careful with this, as I'm pretty sure many waterway management authorities (or whatever they're actually called) have quite tight regulations on using boats as permanent dwellings. As with all things, read the fine print and check out all the legal ins and outs carefully before committing.

OK cheers. I'm sure you're right. However daughter seems not to be taken with the idea so........ She has a fairly stable relationship with a medic who may do locum work for a couple of years which might bring in a few bob for a deposit on a small house if the market has any left by then :)

David

Dingdongler 14 April 2017 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 11932746)
OK cheers. I'm sure you're right. However daughter seems not to be taken with the idea so........ She has a fairly stable relationship with a medic who may do locum work for a couple of years which might bring in a few bob for a deposit on a small house if the market has any left by then :)

David

I reckon we're in for a significant property recession very soon, more so in London/SE though perhaps.

So tell that medic boyfriend to pull his finger out and do plenty of locums, there is loads of work around:)

They'll be in a good position in 18 months time to buy in a subdued market.

dpb 17 May 2017 04:20 PM

Sharks , sharks everywhere !

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/t...cid=spartanntp

Tidgy 18 May 2017 10:32 AM

Sounds fishy to me

TECHNOPUG 18 May 2017 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11931741)
Why would anyone want to live in an area where house prices are just ridiculous and pollution through the roof. Up here in Lincolnshire £200K, will buy a very nice detached house, I even built a very nice, large 2 bed detached bungalow with garage for £130K.

That's great if you can get a job in the area. And what is the ratio of salary to house prices? £130k is not such a bargain if your salary is now also considerably lower.

TECHNOPUG 18 May 2017 11:01 AM

2 probles with buying a houseboat/canal boat. The mortgage will be appreciably higher than an equivalent priced house. House/Canal boats dont really appreciate anywhere near the same rate as houses. So you're unlikely to make any money on the boat whilst you own it.

Dr Hu 18 May 2017 03:17 PM

Although I've been saying it for years - I really can't see how much longer the insane housing market can carry on at such massively unaffordable levels - who can afford to buy all these houses and how will they ever pay off the mortgage?

dpb 18 May 2017 04:23 PM

its been a bad joke for the last 25 years .

About the last time there was any connection with salary

andy97 18 May 2017 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11940594)
That's great if you can get a job in the area. And what is the ratio of salary to house prices? £130k is not such a bargain if your salary is now also considerably lower.

Loads commute to London, Nottingham, Peterborough. London is an hour away by train.
Fresh air, space quiet county lanes to cycle on. Keep all that business 50 miles away :)

Petem95 21 May 2017 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Hu (Post 11940648)
Although I've been saying it for years - I really can't see how much longer the insane housing market can carry on at such massively unaffordable levels - who can afford to buy all these houses and how will they ever pay off the mortgage?

Just so long as credit keeps on expanding, the party should continue! It's a pretty insane situatiion, central banks are even buying stocks now, so it makes you wonder if they'll even allow stock markets to correct.

Central bank balance sheets are just nuts - look at the amount of liquidity being injected. European Central Bank (ECB) and Bank of Japan (BoJ) are in full on insanity mode;

http://media.peakprosperity.com/imag...-5-19-2017.jpg

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...s-when-it-ends

t's like a person taking out massive loans to keep up spending, then when they can't afford to pay those loans back they're just taking out other loans just to cover the interest on the previous loans, and going on and on..

TECHNOPUG 21 May 2017 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11940668)
Loads commute to London, Nottingham, Peterborough. London is an hour away by train.
Fresh air, space quiet county lanes to cycle on. Keep all that business 50 miles away :)

A Lincoln to London season ticket is £10k. Add in getting to and from Lincoln station each day (car parking £780 a year). And it's 2 hours on a train to London. The 6.54 gets to Kings Cross at 8.50. If you start work at 9, you'll have to get the 5.26 which arrives at 7.30. So you are looking at least a 5 hour commute a day. Or 25 hours a week. Or for every month you work, you spend another 2 weeks sitting on a train, unpaid.

Even if you lived in the south of the county, say Spalding, it's still £8.6k and a 4 hour commute.

There is a reason that Lincoln property prices are cheap; there is low demand because it's an undesirable place to live.