Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Housing Costs

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2017, 05:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Housing Costs

My daughter cannot afford £200k + for a pokey house in SW but there are plenty of waterways in her vicinity. She could get a nicely kitted out narrow boat for £30-£40, get it properly inspected and live in a peaceful area and even get a mortgage according to Google.

So is this such a crazy idea?

David

Last edited by David Lock; 26 February 2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 26 February 2017, 05:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How much does the mooring cost / does it have pump out facilities etc ?

lived on a boat for 14 years , but that was in a marina

mine was a lot less salubrious than a canal barge
Old 26 February 2017, 05:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

What about shared ownership , house
Old 26 February 2017, 05:36 PM
96sti
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

You could all ways look in to the static mobile homes some of then are lovely and now with most holiday parks offering 50 weeks a year not bad atal
Old 26 February 2017, 05:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I think canal barge easier to heat , and liable to get closer to inner city
Old 26 February 2017, 05:50 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

£200k is good for a house if you can afford it. Try living in the south east. £320k for a 3bed
Old 26 February 2017, 05:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I have no ideas about the important details, I was just flagging it up as an idea. I'll make a few calls in the week and get a better feel for the possibilities. Yes ther are some nice Park Homes but high annual fees and sudden changes in ownership can cause problems.

But if my daughter did go down the water route she and her b/f could tuck away £1000 per month which in a year or two would be enough for a house deposit and perhaps even keep the boat and rent it out for a monthly income. Who knows. David

PS. There was an SN mod, Sally, who was in the trade and I might even give her a call for advice.

Last edited by David Lock; 26 February 2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 26 February 2017, 07:23 PM
96sti
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
I have no ideas about the important details, I was just flagging it up as an idea. I'll make a few calls in the week and get a better feel for the possibilities. Yes ther are some nice Park Homes but high annual fees and sudden changes in ownership can cause problems.

But if my daughter did go down the water route she and her b/f could tuck away £1000 per month which in a year or two would be enough for a house deposit and perhaps even keep the boat and rent it out for a monthly income. Who knows. David

PS. There was an SN mod, Sally, who was in the trade and I might even give her a call for advice.
£3195 per year ground rent
Finance depending on what price tag you go for
Water £200 per year
Electricity 200-300 per year
All in 1000-1200 pm
Old 07 April 2017, 10:59 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...cid=spartanntp

goodness knows how this happened , all of a sudden ...through open hatch
Old 07 April 2017, 12:17 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...cid=spartanntp

goodness knows how this happened , all of a sudden ...through open hatch
When I first read this I assumed rotten hull but just seems real bad luck and odd that a hatch left open by mistake can flood the whole boat. Feel sorry for the kid and hope much of her kit can be salvaged. Nice comments on the canal community.

dl
Old 07 April 2017, 12:31 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

When I first read this I assumed rotten hull but just seems real bad luck and odd that a hatch left open by mistake can flood the whole boat. Feel sorry for the kid and hope much of her kit can be salvaged. Nice comments on the canal community.

dl
I'd assume air pressure will help keep some of the water out so keep it afloat if the hatches are closed.
Old 07 April 2017, 01:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Hatches wouldn't be water tight or anything like on this kind vessel

easy salvage though ( not far to drop)
Old 07 April 2017, 06:27 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I saw a sunken canal boat on a local canal a few months back. Probably quite easy to raise as you say, just jury rig a patch and put a pump on it.
Old 09 April 2017, 07:38 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Why would anyone want to live in an area where house prices are just ridiculous and pollution through the roof. Up here in Lincolnshire £200K, will buy a very nice detached house, I even built a very nice, large 2 bed detached bungalow with garage for £130K.
Old 13 April 2017, 07:43 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ind...836.html%3Famp

Old 13 April 2017, 01:33 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

My daughter cannot afford £200k + for a pokey house in SW but there are plenty of waterways in her vicinity. She could get a nicely kitted out narrow boat for £30-£40, get it properly inspected and live in a peaceful area and even get a mortgage according to Google.

So is this such a crazy idea?

David
Bit of a late reply, but since the thread came back up anyway, your daughter would need to be a bit careful with this, as I'm pretty sure many waterway management authorities (or whatever they're actually called) have quite tight regulations on using boats as permanent dwellings. As with all things, read the fine print and check out all the legal ins and outs carefully before committing.
Old 13 April 2017, 04:40 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Bit of a late reply, but since the thread came back up anyway, your daughter would need to be a bit careful with this, as I'm pretty sure many waterway management authorities (or whatever they're actually called) have quite tight regulations on using boats as permanent dwellings. As with all things, read the fine print and check out all the legal ins and outs carefully before committing.
OK cheers. I'm sure you're right. However daughter seems not to be taken with the idea so........ She has a fairly stable relationship with a medic who may do locum work for a couple of years which might bring in a few bob for a deposit on a small house if the market has any left by then

David
Old 14 April 2017, 07:09 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK cheers. I'm sure you're right. However daughter seems not to be taken with the idea so........ She has a fairly stable relationship with a medic who may do locum work for a couple of years which might bring in a few bob for a deposit on a small house if the market has any left by then

David

I reckon we're in for a significant property recession very soon, more so in London/SE though perhaps.

So tell that medic boyfriend to pull his finger out and do plenty of locums, there is loads of work around

They'll be in a good position in 18 months time to buy in a subdued market.
Old 17 May 2017, 04:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Sharks , sharks everywhere !

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/t...cid=spartanntp
Old 18 May 2017, 10:32 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Sounds fishy to me
Old 18 May 2017, 10:55 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
Why would anyone want to live in an area where house prices are just ridiculous and pollution through the roof. Up here in Lincolnshire £200K, will buy a very nice detached house, I even built a very nice, large 2 bed detached bungalow with garage for £130K.
That's great if you can get a job in the area. And what is the ratio of salary to house prices? £130k is not such a bargain if your salary is now also considerably lower.
Old 18 May 2017, 11:01 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

2 probles with buying a houseboat/canal boat. The mortgage will be appreciably higher than an equivalent priced house. House/Canal boats dont really appreciate anywhere near the same rate as houses. So you're unlikely to make any money on the boat whilst you own it.
Old 18 May 2017, 03:17 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Although I've been saying it for years - I really can't see how much longer the insane housing market can carry on at such massively unaffordable levels - who can afford to buy all these houses and how will they ever pay off the mortgage?
Old 18 May 2017, 04:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

its been a bad joke for the last 25 years .

About the last time there was any connection with salary
Old 18 May 2017, 04:28 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
That's great if you can get a job in the area. And what is the ratio of salary to house prices? £130k is not such a bargain if your salary is now also considerably lower.
Loads commute to London, Nottingham, Peterborough. London is an hour away by train.
Fresh air, space quiet county lanes to cycle on. Keep all that business 50 miles away
Old 21 May 2017, 02:04 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
Although I've been saying it for years - I really can't see how much longer the insane housing market can carry on at such massively unaffordable levels - who can afford to buy all these houses and how will they ever pay off the mortgage?
Just so long as credit keeps on expanding, the party should continue! It's a pretty insane situatiion, central banks are even buying stocks now, so it makes you wonder if they'll even allow stock markets to correct.

Central bank balance sheets are just nuts - look at the amount of liquidity being injected. European Central Bank (ECB) and Bank of Japan (BoJ) are in full on insanity mode;

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...s-when-it-ends

t's like a person taking out massive loans to keep up spending, then when they can't afford to pay those loans back they're just taking out other loans just to cover the interest on the previous loans, and going on and on..

Last edited by Petem95; 21 May 2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 21 May 2017, 02:56 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Loads commute to London, Nottingham, Peterborough. London is an hour away by train.
Fresh air, space quiet county lanes to cycle on. Keep all that business 50 miles away
A Lincoln to London season ticket is £10k. Add in getting to and from Lincoln station each day (car parking £780 a year). And it's 2 hours on a train to London. The 6.54 gets to Kings Cross at 8.50. If you start work at 9, you'll have to get the 5.26 which arrives at 7.30. So you are looking at least a 5 hour commute a day. Or 25 hours a week. Or for every month you work, you spend another 2 weeks sitting on a train, unpaid.

Even if you lived in the south of the county, say Spalding, it's still £8.6k and a 4 hour commute.

There is a reason that Lincoln property prices are cheap; there is low demand because it's an undesirable place to live.