ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Decat Remap Advise (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1045520-decat-remap-advise.html)

postie90 19 February 2017 08:06 PM

Decat Remap Advise

So I had a wrx hawkeye for 9yrs loved it apart from a Cat back exaust no other mods... which I told the insurance I had.... now I have a 2015 Sti again Cat back exaust fitted ;) I'm thinking off going decat and remap do I advise the insurance company? I'm trying to get a little understanding on this!!! Some say yes others say no need? Any advise would be appreciated .... cheers

Worlasshasansti 19 February 2017 09:16 PM

If you want to go by the book then you are changing parts and the power output so ofcourse you should.

If you want to risk it only to find yourself in a position where you need to make a claim only for an insurance company to discover the modifications, then you will be having a very bad day indeed.

Mick

scotty boy 80 19 February 2017 09:20 PM

If your fitting a decat then your cars illegal to be on the road in the eyes of the law so would void your insurance anyway if they know what there doing ie if it's written off

The Trooper 1815 19 February 2017 09:33 PM

And the"been doing it for years" numpties don't give a fu$k about honest peoples insurance.
Not you but they are out there. Normally with badly spelt tattoos.

RAGGY DOO 19 February 2017 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by postie90 (Post 11920802)
So I had a wrx hawkeye for 9yrs loved it apart from a Cat back exaust no other mods... which I told the insurance I had.... now I have a 2015 Sti again Cat back exaust fitted ;) I'm thinking off going decat and remap do I advise the insurance company? I'm trying to get a little understanding on this!!! Some say yes others say no need? Any advise would be appreciated .... cheers

Decat and map will release quite a few ponies

The Trooper 1815 19 February 2017 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 11920819)
Decat and map will release quite a few ponies

You missed the question :brickwall

Wull 19 February 2017 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11920822)
You missed the question :brickwall

And you didn't? All you did was have a rant about people who apparently have crap tattoo's....I'm fairly certain that's an accurate observation :rolleyes:

Vxr2010 19 February 2017 11:20 PM

if you want to put a sports cat in rather than a decat due to mot , and yes tell insurance they will know if you have a smash are likely to check it , the term a compete sports exhaust system covers it quite well

Guesty 19 February 2017 11:46 PM

I just told mine that i have aftermarket exhaust and ive only got the rear can changed but they dont know that its not the full system

The Trooper 1815 20 February 2017 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Wull (Post 11920824)
And you didn't? All you did was have a rant about people who apparently have crap tattoo's....I'm fairly certain that's an accurate observation :rolleyes:

Nope I never missed the question, I commented on the numpties who do not bother being honest.
Sadly there are quite a few on SN.

RAGGY DOO 20 February 2017 11:37 AM

90 percent of scooby son here are running catless
You are a angry little monkey trooper

Vxr2010 20 February 2017 11:54 AM

is it really that high ? i can't be bothered with mot time and having to swap it ?

Cambs_Stuart 20 February 2017 11:57 AM

Where are all the test stations that pass cat less cars?
Personally I'd go for a 200 cel sports cat, possibly even look for a custom system if nothing is commercially available. That'd give most of the benefits with no issues with legality.
And I'd tell my insurance company. I tell them everything. I even told them when I changed the gear gaiter...

Vxr2010 20 February 2017 12:04 PM

i agree with above sports cat plus tell insurance it often makes no difference telling them but at least they then know

adamobie1 26 May 2018 01:39 PM

what about a 2nd decat, and leave the main one in situ? Surely it would aid flow and still mot legal?

Or would it cause engine lights to come on
Only an idea from a Noob

Martianwrx 26 May 2018 04:03 PM

I would follow the advice above and go with the sports cat option.
Speak to a custom exhaust place and get one made for your tastes, you can choose what it ends up sounding like, what the rear exit looks like and make sure it passes the mot, at the same time as getting gains after a remap.
I think i was quoted 700 if memory serves for a complete turbo back exhaust. It was a year or two ago now.

yabbadoo4 27 May 2018 12:26 PM

a 100 cell sport cat is about the best compromise but it needs to be hot to pass. my mot guy had to rev the engine for 5-10 mins to get it hot enough.

SmurfyBhoy 27 May 2018 12:55 PM

Oooo ur cars not legal.....

Some folk need to get a life.

DE-Cat.

Crazy emissions

Flames

Undeclared mods, go for it.

Wish u luck.

I had a 1.3 glanza

insured as a non turbo non import.

saved thousands.

nobody died.

If you enjoy being an honest John who obeys then good for you. Hope you never go above 70.....

oh btw. I have no tatts.

Some folk just need to follow the orders....

SmurfyBhoy 27 May 2018 12:59 PM

De-Cat is best for power

Insurance dont care till you crash into a bus stop full of kids.

Even then odds are in ur favour

Tidgy 27 May 2018 01:04 PM

100% yes tell them, it will be a stainless steel exhaust ;)

If you dont tell them you could be in a world of hurt if you get caught.

SmurfyBhoy 27 May 2018 01:11 PM

Dont forget if u switch dust caps too

Some pads void ur insurance

Depends how much of a bead u are lol

Guy on the end of phone prob wets himself when half these folk call up.

Tidgy 27 May 2018 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 12011426)
Dont forget if u switch dust caps too

Some pads void ur insurance

Depends how much of a bead u are lol

Guy on the end of phone prob wets himself when half these folk call up.

technically anything non oem is a mod, so different pads would indeed be needed to be declared

SmurfyBhoy 27 May 2018 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12011427)
technically anything non oem is a mod, so different pads would indeed be needed to be declared

Thats why i find it ridiculous.

Where do u draw the line

Old folk go to quick fit and get Blueprint pads without asking.

Not OEM. So void ?

My point about pads was certain ones are not marked for road use so that voids it.

or an autoglass windscreen.

nitrogen in tyres

changed to thinner oil freeing up tiny amount more power.

just gets silly

Tidgy 27 May 2018 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 12011429)
Thats why i find it ridiculous.

Where do u draw the line

Old folk go to quick fit and get Blueprint pads without asking.

Not OEM. So void ?

My point about pads was certain ones are not marked for road use so that voids it.

or an autoglass windscreen.

nitrogen in tyres

changed to thinner oil freeing up tiny amount more power.

just gets silly

can complain about it all youw ant, but you'll still get done for no valid insurance by the police if you get caught

SmurfyBhoy 27 May 2018 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12011430)
can complain about it all youw ant, but you'll still get done for no valid insurance by the police if you get caught

Caught with my nitrogen filled tyres

Or the non-road legal pads.

Or any part which is not OEM

Blueprint Pollen Filter. , Fuel Filter.

Not complaining

Just pointing out how stupid folk can get about these things.

Use a bit of common sense.

SmurfyBhoy 27 May 2018 01:47 PM

They dont go CSI on cars after a bump lol

Obviously max power kits

dustbin exhausts, alloys

the usual culprits. Turbo air filter etc. speak for themselves

Re-map would never be found on these cars, because no situation would ever happen where they check.

Your only worry with a decat is roadside emissions test

Hardly gony check for one if your cars written off.

Gut the stock cat if ur worried how it looks visually

Tidgy 27 May 2018 01:48 PM

dont moan if vosa get you lol

SmurfyBhoy 27 May 2018 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 12011433)
dont moan if vosa get you lol

All you do is put a cat on and keep em happy

Pay a fine worst case.

Rather get caught for that than speeding personally.

No points 😂

j3rvx 27 May 2018 04:06 PM

I called my insurance about this very subject last month. They said just notify us when the decat downpipe is on and we'll update the system no price increase no mention of being illegal they said it's fine.

Tidgy 27 May 2018 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by j3rvx (Post 12011439)
I called my insurance about this very subject last month. They said just notify us when the decat downpipe is on and we'll update the system no price increase no mention of being illegal they said it's fine.

i highly doubt it would pass emissions with a decat ;)

but of course an insurance company isnt going to tell you they are insuring and car that is illegal lol