ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Interior (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/)
-   -   Early blob STi steering wheel refurb DIY (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/1037199-early-blob-sti-steering-wheel-refurb-diy.html)

modrich 14 April 2016 04:11 PM

Early blob STi steering wheel refurb DIY

13 Attachment(s)
Bought an early blob STi steering wheel that needed a little TLC so thought I'd post up some pics of the how I re-furbed it. This will be going in my blob wagon as I prefer it to the plain black revised version.

This is how it used to look
Attachment 35405

Scratches on the badge
Attachment 35406

grey finish on the airbag cover well past it's best so decided to re-coat it
Attachment 35407

Attachment 35408

used Eastwood Plasti-wrap metallic grey rubber coating to refresh the airbag
Attachment 35409

Only applied a few light coats as this makes it harder to peel off, colour is slightly darker and more metallic but still looks spot-on and there isn't much choice with these rubber coatings. Time will tell how durable it is but it feels pretty tough
Attachment 35410

Attachment 35411

Next up was the badge, the STi logo is actually embossed in the aluminium center so had to sand it back flush...
Attachment 35412

Used some BMW silver grey from my old E46 M3 which was a good match
Attachment 35413

measured the STi logo and got exact size in vinyl from ebay
Attachment 35414

couple of coats of lacquer...
Attachment 35415

airbag done
Attachment 35416

Attachment 35417

next, get the steering wheel re-trimmed at Royal steering wheels...

forgedmarco 14 April 2016 06:20 PM

Looks a top job :thumb: I did my one but black instead of grey

modrich 15 April 2016 09:07 AM

cheers marco, did you use plastidip?

forgedmarco 15 April 2016 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by modrich (Post 11821165)
cheers marco, did you use plastidip?

No I think it was satin black from halfords

modrich 11 May 2016 02:54 PM

re-trimmed and fitted

6 Attachment(s)
Got the steering wheel back from Royal Steering wheels, the re-trim in perforated leather is top class as always (3rd wheel I've had done by Jack now).

Seam kept at 6 o'clock as the original but no other seams apart from the 12 o'clock centre mark
Attachment 34553
Attachment 34554

current steering wheel also re-trimmed by Jack
Attachment 34555

Fitted
Attachment 34556
Attachment 34557
Attachment 34558

Much prefer this wheel to the plain black revised blob/hawk version and it's nice to have a brand new steering wheel again!

Cambs_Stuart 13 May 2016 10:19 AM

As always, nice work. I must update mine someday. How hard is it to replace? I can see a couple of bolts on the steering column; is it as easy as undoing those?

modrich 13 May 2016 10:32 AM

Thanks Stuart, yes very easy, disconnect battery, undo 2x torx screws each side of the steering wheel boss that hold airbag in, remove airbag and unplug 2x connectors, undo nut holding steering wheel on and remove steering wheel, simples. Only thing you need to think about is whether you need a spare wheel as it takes about 2 wks for Jack to do them. Jack may also have a spare he can loan you.

BrownPantsRacing 13 May 2016 10:37 AM

Nice work as always mate!

modrich 13 May 2016 02:47 PM

Cheers Pants

BrownPantsRacing 13 May 2016 02:47 PM

It's Mr Pants! :D

BrownPantsRacing 13 May 2016 02:48 PM

How hard wearing is that plastidip rubber spray? Will it scratch off or wear off in time? Looks ace, never thought about doing that.

modrich 13 May 2016 03:01 PM

Initially wasn't sure how it would stand up to normal use but no probs so far. It has a nice grippy feel to it and the best thing it looks OEM+. If you were to scrub it, it might start to wear off as it's designed to be removable but it's a doddle to re-apply anyway.

I did start to look around the cabin for other bits to paint like the centre console trim but didn't want to get carried away!

BrownPantsRacing 13 May 2016 03:45 PM

lol. I know how these ideas can spiral out of control! :D

cookstar 13 May 2016 03:51 PM

Good work, looks great.

modrich 13 May 2016 03:57 PM

Thanks chef...I mean mr chef

Cpt Jack Sparrow 13 May 2016 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Plasti dipped my centre console over a year ago. gets wipper down and cleaned every time I wash the car, handles it very well, and not been redone.

It has been out a couple of times to replace the stereo and take out the parrot hands free kit.

You get a very OEM look and feel

Attachment 34480

BrownPantsRacing 13 May 2016 04:19 PM

That does look very good. I'm tempted to re-do the forester in this stuff as the factory finish looks the same and will be a nice refresh.

Cambs_Stuart 14 May 2016 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11832620)
That does look very good. I'm tempted to re-do the forester in this stuff as the factory finish looks the same and will be a nice refresh.

Out of interest, has anyone tried to fit retractable cupholders below the top vents? At a glance it looks quite straightforward but experience tells me it might be a bit more involved.

BrownPantsRacing 15 May 2016 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart (Post 11833046)
Out of interest, has anyone tried to fit retractable cupholders below the top vents? At a glance it looks quite straightforward but experience tells me it might be a bit more involved.

Not seen anyone fit the forester trim with cup holder into an Impreza. Sure it can be done as you say, with some mods as the stereo hole is in a slightly different location. I know a lot of parts are completely interchangeable. I've already fitted an Impreza ashtray into the forester. Direct swap.

I'm really tempted to do my dash trim in plastidip now looking at the pics above.