ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   subaru impreza gx sport misfire (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1035949-subaru-impreza-gx-sport-misfire.html)

Ryanw1989 09 March 2016 03:20 PM

subaru impreza gx sport misfire

Hey all

Recently purchased my first subaru impreza, engine management light was on, plugged it in and it come up with a misfire on cylinders 2 and 4.

Since then I changed the coil pack, ht leads, new plugs and new fuel filter. With no joy whatsoever. The car misfires while idling but seems to be worse under load. I noticed when clearing the code it takes a few days to come back up sometimes sooner, sometimes longer. I've heard people mention the maf sensor but I cannot find it on my car or if it has one.

I'm at a loss any info or ideas would be grateful

Thanks

jaygsi 10 March 2016 12:18 AM

It should be after your air filter, try spraying with cleaner.

Ryanw1989 10 March 2016 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11807523)
It should be after your air filter, try spraying with cleaner.

I had a look where it would be if it had the standard air box, but it has an induction kit (k&n) and is nowhere to be seen. No sensors at all going to the induction kit. :wonder:

scooberuni 10 March 2016 12:24 AM

Could be a couple of other things too like
A knackered O2 sensor or
Knock sensor.

Ryanw1989 10 March 2016 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by scooberuni (Post 11807526)
Could be a couple of other things too like
A knackered O2 sensor or
Knock sensor.

Funny you should mention the O2 sensor, when I first plugged it in that come up as well on the fault code list along with the misfire. But I cleared it and hasn't come back back since its just the misfire showing up now. Knock sensor could be next on my list.

scooberuni 10 March 2016 12:45 AM

I've had a similar problem with mine, tried all the things that you've tried and nothing fixed the problem until I bought a new knock sensor and it seems ok now, been fine for a few months. If that didn't work I was going to buy a new 02 sensor but they are quite pricey so I was leaving that one till last. You won't find a MAF on a GX btw, they have a MAP sensor instead, don't ask me what the difference is lol

Ryanw1989 10 March 2016 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by scooberuni (Post 11807532)
I've had a similar problem with mine, tried all the things that you've tried and nothing fixed the problem until I bought a new knock sensor and it seems ok now, been fine for a few months. If that didn't work I was going to buy a new 02 sensor but they are quite pricey so I was leaving that one till last. You won't find a MAF on a GX btw, they have a MAP sensor instead, don't ask me what the difference is lol

Yeah I'm gonna take it off tomorrow and get one ordered, I thought they didn't have a maf sensor just needed someone to clear that up lol fingers crossed this works. If not I may have to look at compression tests and dig deeper. I'll keep you updated cheers guys :thumb:

Ryanw1989 11 March 2016 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ryanw1989 (Post 11807533)
Yeah I'm gonna take it off tomorrow and get one ordered, I thought they didn't have a maf sensor just needed someone to clear that up lol fingers crossed this works. If not I may have to look at compression tests and dig deeper. I'll keep you updated cheers guys :thumb:

Just a small update guys, I ran some tests with the multimeter on the knock sensor, and it was totally dead nothing at all. Looks like it was that hopefully! I have one on order so should be here in a few days. Fingers crossed :top:

scooberuni 12 March 2016 11:04 PM

Where did you get it from, mine was just a fleabay job

merlin24 13 March 2016 12:03 PM

Similar problem on the wife's N/A wagon - O2 sensor was faulty.

Mick

Ryanw1989 13 March 2016 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by scooberuni (Post 11808620)
Where did you get it from, mine was just a fleabay job

Snap mate, autoecosse which is the main subaru dealer where I'm from wanted £83 for the genuine part, eBay wanted from £10 to £60, I went for the genuine part at £60 just to be sure. Hopefully this will fix it.

Ryanw1989 13 March 2016 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by merlin24 (Post 11808716)
Similar problem on the wife's N/A wagon - O2 sensor was faulty.

Mick

Think the O2 sensor is my next option if this fails, it did come up at one point. But hasn't been back on for a few months. The exhaust is blowing slightly as well from middle cat. That's why I thought it was on

scooberuni 25 March 2016 01:32 PM

How's the car running now then? I had another idea for you, I used to always run mine on regular unleaded with it not being an import car or anything. I recently put super unleaded in by mistake and I noticed the difference straight away. The car pulled a Away more smoothly and didn't hesitate. It seems to go through the gears better too. Maybe using super unleaded or V Power night do your car some good.