ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   What does it take to get reliable 500whp? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1035912-what-does-it-take-to-get-reliable-500whp.html)

Dazzles Fiesti 15 December 2018 09:12 PM

No one with anymore advice/ideas/thoughts? :confused:

domino46 16 December 2018 05:44 AM

I'm running over 500bhp in my daily hatchback (for over 4 years now without issue) ,, pm me if you want to chat about it and what spec iv got

alcazar 20 December 2018 01:39 PM

What does it take to get reliable 500whp?

Errr, is the answer, "A Mitsubishi Lancer engine?"

BrownPantsRacing 20 December 2018 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 12038605)

You grumpy b4stard!!! :lol1:

Dazzles Fiesti 20 December 2018 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 12038149)
I'm running over 500bhp in my daily hatchback (for over 4 years now without issue) ,, pm me if you want to chat about it and what spec iv got

Thanks, I'll do that :thumb:

scooby2.5maz 20 December 2018 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dazzles Fiesti (Post 12038647)
Thanks, I'll do that :thumb:

pm me also if you want , im over 500 on my classic 2.5.

cheers maz

Dazzles Fiesti 15 January 2019 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 12038149)

Originally Posted by scooby2.5maz (Post 12038663)
pm me also if you want , im over 500 on my classic 2.5.

cheers maz

Thanks guys, much appreciated :thumb:

GazJenno 15 January 2019 08:39 PM

Can't you both just post your specs here?

Dazzles Fiesti 10 January 2020 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 12038605)

I used that quote because that is what my mate who's going to help me build this keeps saying :lol1:

So, I'm bringing this back to the top as it's starting to be very relevant for me.
Though the car this will be going in has changed, the intention is the same (or there about!)

Not that it should totally matter but for those not wishing to search, this is what it will be going in:-

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...ubaru-sti.html

This has all come about because I'm changing my track car. Well, more specifically, I'm retiring what I used last year.

So, I'd like to jog peoples memories and get an up to date feeling of the best way forward.

These are our thoughts for the build but they're not set in stone, please give your advice on what you think is best, maybe what make to buy or any information that might help?

2.0 CDB
Main line correction
Torque plate bore and hone (as small as needed)
New crank
New rods
New pistons
Static & Dynamic balance of the rotating assembly
Dual AVCS heads
*need input on cams and valves*
Dry sump system
Possibly 2.5 N/A inlet manifold
Still looking at turbo choice
injectors sized to match

I'm sure there is a lot more that will come along but this is our first thoughts.

In reality, the number we see at the end of the day doesn't matter. What is more important is how tractable is it and how that translates when it's on the track.
I will endeavor to keep you all updated :thumb:​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Dazzles Fiesti 24 January 2020 06:02 PM

Anyone??

Jonny Cut Corners 25 January 2020 01:05 AM

Well as you know from my 2.1 stroker thread, I have a classic track car currently at 380bhp. So admittedly nowhere near 500 but I have been around race tracks my whole life and in any track vehicle the number one factor is always heat management.

- External oil cooler with effective ducting
- Power steering rad
- Possibly a fuel cooler if under bonnet temps get high
- Thicker alu rad
- Swirl pot & additional 044 fuel pump. Plus fine grade inline filters

Regarding power figures, if reliability is key then I'd have thought that a good place to look would be a 2.35 stroker?

madwrx 30 January 2020 07:22 PM

The mitsi engine makes a good bit extra power and torque than a comparable EJ engine but the gearboxes are severely stretched past 550bhp- my friends evo 8 has damaged a box every year he's owned it😂,,,at least a (fresh) 6 speed will take 650 all day long if not too many drag starts

Dazzles Fiesti 07 February 2020 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by madwrx (Post 12070927)
at least a (fresh) 6 speed will take 650 all day long if not too many drag starts

I'm not into Drag so that shouldn't be a problem :lol1:
And to be fair, the more we're looking at this, I don't think I'm even going to need 500!
If anything, I just want it to be as reliable as we can make it and I feel by going dry sump and main line correction, we're doing all we can :thumb:

IainMilford 10 February 2020 12:14 PM

HI there, I've been running over 650bhp for five years now, it is my track/weekend toy and not a daily (these days usage is a lot less but I still enjoy fettling and getting out to a few track days each year. Brief spec as follows;

2.35 based on an EJ22T (22b block) and built by Paul Finch
Wiseco ceramic coated pistons
Crower rods
Heads are big port JDM heads with some porting, lateral cams/supertech valves
RCM group N baffled sump
Syvecs S6 ecu
ASNU 1500 cc injectors
Flex fuel
Billet GT35R

I have had the odd issue here and there but nothing engine related which is what I think you are referring to "reliable 500whp", with such a big build there are going to be problems when you are running components at a far higher output then they were originally designed for and this stretches beyond the engine itself, (brakes/suspension/drivetrain etc) and a build like this requires you to keep on top of things a lot more!

john_666 13 February 2020 10:11 AM

I am running 628 bhp 601lbs on a 2.5 cdb 14mm head studs gt3582hta it's cost 45k+

Dazzles Fiesti 13 February 2020 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by IainMilford (Post 12071828)
HI there, I've been running over 650bhp for five years now, it is my track/weekend toy and not a daily (these days usage is a lot less but I still enjoy fettling and getting out to a few track days each year. Brief spec as follows;

2.35 based on an EJ22T (22b block) and built by Paul Finch
Wiseco ceramic coated pistons
Crower rods
Heads are big port JDM heads with some porting, lateral cams/supertech valves
RCM group N baffled sump
Syvecs S6 ecu
ASNU 1500 cc injectors
Flex fuel
Billet GT35R

I have had the odd issue here and there but nothing engine related which is what I think you are referring to "reliable 500whp", with such a big build there are going to be problems when you are running components at a far higher output then they were originally designed for and this stretches beyond the engine itself, (brakes/suspension/drivetrain etc) and a build like this requires you to keep on top of things a lot more!

Thanks for your spec, good to see what everyone else has chosen to use.

I understand what you're saying about the rest of the car and we're going to make sure all that is good as well.
Due to the packaging of the car, we've had to do some different things anyway but definitely going to try and keep everything as 'Top Notch' as possible :thumb:

Dazzles Fiesti 13 February 2020 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by john_666 (Post 12072059)
I am running 628 bhp 601lbs on a 2.5 cdb 14mm head studs gt3582hta it's cost 45k+

WOW :eek2:

IainMilford 14 February 2020 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dazzles Fiesti (Post 12072118)
Thanks for your spec, good to see what everyone else has chosen to use.

I understand what you're saying about the rest of the car and we're going to make sure all that is good as well.
Due to the packaging of the car, we've had to do some different things anyway but definitely going to try and keep everything as 'Top Notch' as possible :thumb:

Sounds interesting, look forward to seeing updates :)

Dazzles Fiesti 14 February 2020 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by IainMilford (Post 12072125)
Sounds interesting, look forward to seeing updates :)

Have you looked at the link I put up earlier in this thread?
That's the track car ;)