ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Renovating beams. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1031336-renovating-beams.html)

JTaylor 01 November 2015 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by scoobygaz1 (Post 11755955)
Hi I been in the building game for 29 years and for the last 7 maintaining a grade 1 listed Manor House :)

Qualified then? To be honest, I don't know if I'd have the skill or the heart to do it myself. Quote me by PM if you like. :)

scoobygaz1 01 November 2015 07:30 PM

Hi any questions just ask no problem

JTaylor 01 November 2015 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by scoobygaz1 (Post 11756055)
Hi any questions just ask no problem

:thumb:

JTaylor 03 November 2015 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11755597)
That doesn't surprise me.

I think whatever method 85% of the cost is going to be labour...how many people, and how many hours involved?

They've come back to me: 3 days and a two man team.

jebi se 04 November 2015 09:07 AM

Nice house and location, buy a sand blaster and medium sized compressor off ebay, or from Machine Mart, shouldn't cost more than £500 and that's with a really good compressor @ around the £350 mark, you could even hire them as well as an industrial vacuum cleaner and save yourself a £1000 for the sake of a weeks work, which is good pay by anyones standards. If you buy the equipment just put it back on ebay when you have finished, although i would keep the compressor as they always come in handy.

JTaylor 04 November 2015 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by jebi se (Post 11756933)
Nice house and location, buy a sand blaster and medium sized compressor off ebay, or from Machine Mart, shouldn't cost more than £500 and that's with a really good compressor @ around the £350 mark, you could even hire them as well as an industrial vacuum cleaner and save yourself a £1000 for the sake of a weeks work, which is good pay by anyones standards. If you buy the equipment just put it back on ebay when you have finished, although i would keep the compressor as they always come in handy.

Thanks for the kind words and the advice, Jebi. Given my DIY track-record (I make Alcazar look competent) I imagine the missus would faint if I were to rock-up with a sandblaster. Still, definitely food for thought.

jebi se 04 November 2015 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11756942)
Thanks for the kind words and the advice, Jebi. Given my DIY track-record (I make Alcazar look competent) I imagine the missus would faint if I were to rock-up with a sandblaster. Still, definitely food for thought.

It's really not difficult, just like using a jet washer but with sand. Considering your comments on the other thread about funds needing to go along way at the moment, i just thought you might want to save £1000 to maybe spend on the tv or something else, I doubt it would cost you much more than the price of the sand if you bought the required equipment and then sold it on again, just make sure you buy a decent hood and dust mask.

JTaylor 04 November 2015 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by jebi se (Post 11757037)
It's really not difficult, just like using a jet washer but with sand. Considering your comments on the other thread about funds needing to go along way at the moment, i just thought you might want to save £1000 to maybe spend on the tv or something else, I doubt it would cost you much more than the price of the sand if you bought the required equipment and then sold it on again, just make sure you buy a decent hood and dust mask.

Well yes, that makes sense. We'll see. Thanks again, Jebi.

JTaylor 04 November 2015 04:36 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...ceba5a2a49.jpg

Who ya gunna call..?

hodgy0_2 04 November 2015 04:45 PM

how to you keep the sand from going everywhere

is it just a case of masking off everything etc

jebi se 04 November 2015 04:50 PM

No need to go that far, these 2 items will get the job done.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...aster&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-50...MAAOSw5ZBWM1xz

jebi se 04 November 2015 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11757048)
how to you keep the sand from going everywhere

is it just a case of masking off everything etc

Open the windows and close the doors, sweeping brush and a decent hoover, makes a bit of a mess but with the house being empty it's not a big issue, you can even re-use the sand when doing something like beams as there's no majorly large particles.

I have the sand blaster above and it's a doddle to use, fill at the top via the funnel, connect the air line, open 2 leavers and away you go.

JTaylor 04 November 2015 05:00 PM

Tempting. :norty:

jebi se 04 November 2015 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11757056)
Tempting. :norty:

Less than £250 including sand and a day or 3 worth of work vs £1500, no brainer for me.

Then when you have finished, put the sandblaster on ebay for £25 and the compressor on for £100 collection only and you get half your out lay back, so £125 vs £1500.

hodgy0_2 04 November 2015 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by jebi se (Post 11757055)
Open the windows and close the doors, sweeping brush and a decent hoover, makes a bit of a mess but with the house being empty it's not a big issue, you can even re-use the sand when doing something like beams as there's no majorly large particles.

I have the sand blaster above and it's a doddle to use, fill at the top via the funnel, connect the air line, open 2 leavers and away you go.

yeah, that makes sense - no magic bullet just prep work, then a day or so of graft

personally I do (or attempt anyway) anything that is simply labour intensive - i.e. not much "skill/craft" involved

like painting, stripping,

as you say makes any renovation budget go further - better quality materials can be used

and in a way more satisfying too

although will attempt anything - I recently re-shafted an Axe, really satisfying and its still on one piece !!!!

JTaylor 04 November 2015 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by jebi se (Post 11757062)
Less than £250 including sand and a day or 3 worth of work vs £1500, no brainer for me.

Then when you have finished, put the sandblaster on ebay for £25 and the compressor on for £100 collection only and you get half your out lay back, so £125 vs £1500.

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11757077)
yeah, that makes sense - no magic bullet just prep work, then a day or so of graft

personally I do (or attempt anyway) anything that is simply labour intensive - i.e. not much "skill/craft" involved

as you say makes any renovation budget go further - better quality materials can be used

although will attempt anything - I recently re-shafted an Axe, really satisfying and its still on one piece !!!!

You're both right, of course, I just need to convince the missus it's a good idea. That may take some time.

JTaylor 04 November 2015 07:20 PM

Any good?

https://www.bodyshop-tools-supplies....FYIIwwodBIkJmg

hodgy0_2 04 November 2015 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11757110)
You're both right, of course, I just need to convince the missus it's a good idea. That may take some time.

Also YouTube is a great resource for this sort of stuff

Reminds me of the time I did my own cavity wall insulation with nothing but 5 massive bags of expanded polystyrene balls some aluminium ducting and a modified leaf blower

But that's another story

jebi se 05 November 2015 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11757077)

Yes i'm the same, lets be honest, without being derisory to tradesmen non of it is rocket science, in my experience most trades are a learnt skill, practice makes perfect, as you say youtube is a fantastic resource, in these modern times one merely has to google to discover the trade secrets, everything one could possibly need to diy is available on ebay, between the two what more does one need to know, even the practically challenged can perform menial tasks such as sand blasting at a fraction of the cost of calling in the professionals.

JTaylor 05 November 2015 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by jebi se (Post 11757260)
Yes i'm the same, lets be honest, without being derisory to tradesmen non of it is rocket science, in my experience most trades are a learnt skill, practice makes perfect, as you say youtube is a fantastic resource, in these modern times one merely has to google to discover the trade secrets, everything one could possibly need to diy is available on ebay, between the two what more does one need to know, even the practically challenged can perform menial tasks such as sand blasting at a fraction of the cost of calling in the professionals.

Ok, I'm sold. Looking at soda-blasting kits.

jebi se 05 November 2015 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11757113)

No because it's exactly the same as the one i linked for £60 and it doesn't have a hood, which is something you really want, you can buy those gloves for less than £10 and to be honest they are a little overkill, cheaper leather/hide gardening type gloves will suffice, but the hood is a must have item and it comes in the kit i linked, sand / soda crystals can be bought separately and you'll probably want to buy around 10 bags or maybe 5 if you re-use, which is possible in the environment you'll be working in, you'll just need to watch out for any large particles to avoid blocking the nozzle. Spend money on a decent dust mask with filters that screw on as the other cheapo ones will fog the hood lens in less than a minute, wicks do a decent reasonably priced one.

JTaylor 05 November 2015 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by jebi se (Post 11757308)
No because it's exactly the same as the one i linked for £60 and it doesn't have a hood, which is something you really want, you can buy those gloves for less than £10 and to be honest they are a little overkill, cheaper leather/hide gardening type gloves will suffice, but the hood is a must have item and it comes in the kit i linked, sand / soda crystals can be bought separately and you'll probably want to buy around 10 bags or maybe 5 if you re-use, which is possible in the environment you'll be working in, you'll just need to watch out for any large particles to avoid blocking the nozzle. Spend money on a decent dust mask with filters that screw on as the other cheapo ones will fog the hood lens in less than a minute, wicks do a decent reasonably priced one.

Ok, cheers. Good info!

JTaylor 27 November 2015 11:35 AM

Exchanging as I type. :luxhello:

JTaylor 27 November 2015 02:46 PM

Exchanged! :D

donny andi 28 November 2015 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11765659)
Exchanged! :D

Excellent , lovely place fella hope you and the Mrs enjoy :thumb:

JTaylor 28 November 2015 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by donny andi (Post 11765917)
Excellent , lovely place fella hope you and the Mrs enjoy :thumb:

Bless you, Andi. We get the keys on Friday! :thumb:

donny andi 28 November 2015 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11765919)
Bless you, Andi. We get the keys on Friday! :thumb:

Just time to get settled for Christmas then , even better :thumb:

Turbohot 28 November 2015 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11755178)
The missus and I are a couple of weeks from completion on this:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...badcfd4724.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...f8eb992094.jpg

We're looking to lighten the beams below by restoring them back to the original timber finish.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...c645e3927b.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...33c79ee284.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...5d5b6ee200.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this. I've done some research around the different techniques and I'm awaiting quotes, but would like to hear from fellow S'netters.

Oh WOW, Jimbi! What a lovely nest you two have found for yourselves! :luvlove:

Congratulations! May God, peace and much joy reside with you both in this new pad forever! :notworthy

Now get a cute cat to guard your new house. That's all that's missing. 😻 :D

Once again, enjoy the move in this Christmas. :thumb:

Turbohot 28 November 2015 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by scooby legend (Post 11766090)
Really nice house that,

Isn't it? I even like all the Schintz patterning and post war furniture in there. I wouldn't change the beams either, but it's up to Jimbi & Co. what they do. They must get a cat, though.

Turbohot 28 November 2015 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by scooby legend (Post 11766095)
Or how about a pet snake?

Why do you suggest that? :confused:

And who exactly are you, newbie?