ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   More doping, and Radcliffe on the defence... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1029325-more-doping-and-radcliffe-on-the-defence.html)

ALi-B 09 September 2015 08:09 AM

More doping, and Radcliffe on the defence...

Very quick on the denial of any doping claims before anyone pointed a finger at her:
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/34190297

Well, except me a few years ago: https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...a#post10762459

Tip of iceberg IMO.

Tidgy 09 September 2015 08:15 AM

good job we live in a Guilty until proven innocent society or they would get away with it,,,,,,, hang on

Suspicion isn't guilt, they even say 'The evidence is not proof of doping'

urban 09 September 2015 08:24 AM

I really hope she's not taking drugs. Same with Bolt/Farah/Jess Ennis as I believe they're genuinely clean

On the other hand, the sport is really going to take a beating here the more they dig.
However, do they really have a chance at catching anyone, given Lance Armstrongs history of avoidance.

hodgy0_2 09 September 2015 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11734258)
However, do they really have a chance at catching anyone, given Lance Armstrongs history of avoidance.

it must be noted that Armstrong was allowed to get away with it, in part, due to the collusion of the cycling world governing body

one sincerely hopes that world athletics does not act in the same way - and I don't think so tbh

ditchmyster 09 September 2015 08:56 AM

I think it's really difficult to prove or dis-prove due to the amount of naturally occurring "performance enhancers" anyone remember the ginseng scandal with Linford Christy.

Then there's the fact that people that do cheat go to extra-ordinary levels to hide the fact, even some of the drugs being used to cheat being un-traceable after 24hrs, so does that mean everyone involved in sport has to give a urine sample every morning, :wonder: I doubt that would be workable, also how do they test for new drugs that they don't even know exist.:wonder:

As for Paula Radcliffe being on the defensive, no doubt some nice journalist called her and said "how do you feel about being implicated in doping in the commons today" and off we go, scandal started. ;)

dpb 09 September 2015 08:58 AM

Very quick?

She was interviewed 2 weeks ago. Thought I was seeing double. , the BBC have habit doing this it seems

andy97 09 September 2015 09:06 AM

I believe Paula Radcliffe is/has been totally clean. A staunch advocate of doping. It was cheap shot by an MP using parliament privileged to make comments about the era Paula was at her prime.

Where do you draw the line for performance enhancing food/drugs. At one end just eating quality protein, carbohydrates and vegetables could be deemed enhancing or synthetic drugs manufactured specifically for enhanced performance?

Tidgy 09 September 2015 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11734269)
I believe Paula Radcliffe is/has been totally clean. A staunch advocate of doping. It was cheap shot by an MP using parliament privileged to make comments about the era Paula was at her prime.

Where do you draw the line for performance enhancing food/drugs. At one end just eating quality protein, carbohydrates and vegetables could be deemed enhancing or synthetic drugs manufactured specifically for enhanced performance?

Lance armstrong is a classic example. In his era the highest finishing rank person in the tours he won to still not have been found to fail a test is 11th.

When its that endemic do you ban or accept it? Body building has two champs, one natural, one enhanced (steroids or what ever drugs)

andy97 09 September 2015 09:28 AM

He did fail a test but the result was suppressed by UCI

Tidgy 09 September 2015 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11734276)
He did fail a test but the result was suppressed by UCI

who?

hodgy0_2 09 September 2015 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11734281)
who?

cycling's world governing body

Tidgy 09 September 2015 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11734290)
cycling's world governing body

no no as in who did UCI cover up? lance armstrong?

dpb 09 September 2015 10:43 AM

It all seemed to be an industry of covering up, in an attempt save face and le tour reputation
Like fifa, but with far less cash floating around

hodgy0_2 09 September 2015 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11734297)
no no as in who did UCI cover up? lance armstrong?

Hein Verbruggen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hein_Verbruggen

and

Pat McQuaid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_McQuaid

Tidgy 09 September 2015 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11734314)

totlay missed what i was asking, are we talking about lance armstrong here, or just doping general?

Devildog 09 September 2015 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11734269)

You do actually know what "advocate" means?

hodgy0_2 09 September 2015 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11734320)
totlay missed what i was asking, are we talking about lance armstrong here, or just doping general?

lol, - yes Lance Armstrong had his doping covered up (by the UCI)

I hope the World Athletics Governing body are not as corrupt

Tidgy 09 September 2015 12:58 PM

Ah yeah, was a proper inside job. but they covered it all up at that time.

TO be fair i do think he's had a bum wrap comapred to how otehrs have been tretaed.

markjmd 09 September 2015 01:16 PM

The Athletics people may not be actively covering-up, but the evidence does seem to be mounting that they're turning a blind eye to what should be pretty bleeding obvious.

Cycling is the new clean, who woulda thunk it.

dpb 09 September 2015 01:18 PM

ermmm he was intent on securing his business intrests and at the same time screwing over others !

Tidgy 09 September 2015 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 11734350)
The Athletics people may not be actively covering-up, but the evidence does seem to be mounting that they're turning a blind eye to what should be pretty bleeding obvious.

Cycling is the new clean, who woulda thunk it.

still firing accusations around though, look at chris frome and whats hes had to endure

hodgy0_2 09 September 2015 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11734345)
Ah yeah, was a proper inside job. but they covered it all up at that time.

TO be fair i do think he's had a bum wrap comapred to how otehrs have been tretaed.

i think the undeniably harsh treatment of Lance imo has more to do with his aggressive denials, pursuit of people who accused him of doping through the courts, ruining of fellow riders careers, total lack of remorse etc etc

creating a whole "nexus" of cheating/doping around him

rather than simple "yes I doped"