ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   header tank made from biscuits :-( (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/102887-header-tank-made-from-biscuits.html)

UkLegacyT 07 June 2002 12:46 PM

just snapped the top hose off :(

i take it this is pressurised, and so no temporary fix?

cheers, ian

David_Wallis 07 June 2002 12:49 PM

There was a guy on here advertising alloy ones... Can you drill a hole down the middle of a bolt and then bolt this in till you get another?

David

UkLegacyT 07 June 2002 12:51 PM

you again:D:D

yeah, ive got a hollow turbo water feed bolt here, so may just try that, you think it'll hold the pressure?

cheers mate;)

David_Wallis 07 June 2002 12:54 PM

Its got two choices... I bit of epoxy.. Araldite around it as well...

Im not watching football, so got nothing better to do..

David

UkLegacyT 07 June 2002 12:56 PM

ah yes, ill get the epoxy resin out and find a bit of tube or something :)

whats happening with the front mount mate, seems to have slowed:(

David_Wallis 07 June 2002 01:11 PM

Cant really be bothered at the moment... still trying to source a welder... Quite busy at the moment helping a mate decorate his house... then I can never be bothered when I get home from work..

David

UkLegacyT 07 June 2002 01:15 PM

youve done good so far anyway mate;)

ive only got the mig like you mate, otherwise would have helped.
mate had a tig, until it got robbed about a month back...£1500 :(
scum

David_Wallis 07 June 2002 01:50 PM

I knew I should have used steel pipe..

David

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 07 June 2002 02:46 PM

The header tanks are soft as sh1t. Forge do an alloy one I believe, but you will need deep pockets. Leak fix is a good repair Sleeve a bit of pipe into the tank then bond it in.. It is like chemical metal ( same manufacturer ) but designed for rad/fuel etc applications. It doesnt go soft when heated like some of the others do. I have seen these break with only the slightest touch. It is definately a weak point on the early cars. The radiator end tanks arent much better. Best to get a replacement for long term reliability.

mrp 07 June 2002 07:54 PM

I did a temporary repair using a washing machine 90 degree hose connector, cut off the straight ribbed piece, wedged it in the hole that was left, sealed the whole lot with epoxy putty and reconnected the hose to it. There was no problem with the header being pressurised. I would have kept the tempory fix as there were no leaks but my nice friendly dealer replaced it under warranty.

UkLegacyT 07 June 2002 08:59 PM

hi guys, fixed it :)
used an end of the turbo water feed pipe (spare one;)), drilled out the hole enough and smacked it in, then used layers of epoxy resin.
give it a caning before, and touch wood, it seems ok :)

thanks, ian.

Scott.T 07 June 2002 10:03 PM

They seem to be getting to that age, where these things are starting to go.

Mine went in Feburary, cost £60 for a new one from Suabaru.

Know what you mean about Biscuits, that damn things goes lke a cheap digestive and a cup of ovaltine.

stratman 08 June 2002 02:27 PM

Mine went on m M96 ( before it got nicked )

I tried araldite, and various epoxies. I eventually got a metal STi one from Midland Impreza. Grade A Subaru also have em. I had to make a bit of a bracket out of steel plate to mount it.

Its the only long term solution cos the original equipment plastic tanks are crap.

The forge one is a nice polished ally but ridiculously expensive.