ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Home brewing (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1026889-home-brewing.html)

pflowers 07 July 2015 10:43 PM

Home brewing

Anyone on here into this?

My wife bought me a Wine kit back in April for my birthday - made a start yesterday.

At the moment I've got a demijohn full of cloudy liquid with a half inch froth on the top - it's bubbling away through the water filled vent - hope it improves over the next couple of weeks when supposedly it's ready to drink :Suspiciou

Am I in line for the trots or worse? Or will I be enjoying a lovely glass or two. :wonder:

Soup 07 July 2015 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by pflowers (Post 11707813)

My wife bought me a Wine kit back in April for my birthday - made a start yesterday.

At the moment I've got a demijohn full of cloudy liquid with a half inch froth on the top - it's bubbling away through the water filled vent - hope it improves over the next couple of weeks when supposedly it's ready to drink :Suspiciou

Am I in line for the trots or worse? Or will I be enjoying a lovely glass or two. :wonder:

Only one way to find out :D

hodgy0_2 07 July 2015 10:46 PM

My wife has said she will divorce me if I ever took up home brewing

Wine, is quite advanced I think, to start with at least - good luck though

kevo10 08 July 2015 07:40 AM

Used to do it years ago and whats happening is normal. One thing i would say is though. Be patient. As u may know, the longer wine is left,after bottling, the better it gets.

Cpt Jack Sparrow 08 July 2015 08:36 AM

Yep been doing it for years.

What you have sound right, it wont go totally clear until the lasy couple of stages, although it will clear as time passes.

The key to success is working sterile and not letting bactieria in that will kill your yeast culture.

alcazar 08 July 2015 08:40 AM

I was heavily into it for a few years, but fruit wines, not grapes, or wine kits...to many chemicals.

I ran the gamut from tinned peach (excellent) to rose-petal, (sublime), but we eventually gave it up after getting to a bottle a day...........

Try also pineapple, blackberry and pomegranate.

wayne9t9 08 July 2015 11:11 AM

Did this for years. As mentioned above, patience and keeping things clean are the most important things. If your doing things from scratch getting the sugar levels takes some practise so learning to use a hydrometer is important too. I enjoyed doing it and always had a few demijons bubbling in the airing cupboard.

Graz 08 July 2015 11:15 AM

Yes, make beer quite often from the premium type all malt kits. The end result is normally quite drinkable. Would love to get into brewing from the raw ingredients (malted barley, hops etc.) but it's too time consuming for me at the moment.

As for wine making, only ever done rhubarb, have a batch ready to be bottled now in fact. It's actually not bad ;) My Dad used to make wine and again it was okay but probably on a par with a cheapy wine box from the supermarket, not anything premium.

Cpt Jack Sparrow 08 July 2015 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11707887)
Try also pineapple.

Have to agree with this makes a cracking wine.

as does Parsnip :thumb:

Tidgy 08 July 2015 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11707818)
My wife has said she will divorce me if I ever took up home brewing

Wine, is quite advanced I think, to start with at least - good luck though

Wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

didn't realise it was that easy to get rid of them,,,,,

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

Cpt Jack Sparrow 08 July 2015 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11707978)
Wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

didn't realise it was that easy to get rid of them,,,,,

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

alcazar 08 July 2015 02:10 PM

Best one I did, (NOT!!!!), was when we tried raspberry.

It fermented so fast that it lifted the raspberries up the neck of the demijohn, blocked the water trap and shot both out all over the kitchen ceiling during the night.:D

Much cleaning up and managed to save one demijohn from two.

Oh...and two holes to plaster and repaint in the ceiling.:D :D

Cpt Jack Sparrow 08 July 2015 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11708018)
Best one I did, (NOT!!!!), was when we tried raspberry.

It fermented so fast that it lifted the raspberries up the neck of the demijohn, blocked the water trap and shot both out all over the kitchen ceiling during the night.:D

Much cleaning up and managed to save one demijohn from two.

Oh...and two holes to plaster and repaint in the ceiling.:D :D

:lol::lol:

I started as a young teenager, My first was a elderberry, after proudly picking my own fruit and speaking kindly to my locak baker for some fresh yeast, i use a recipe from and old book of my grandfather.

Bunged it all carelessly into the demijon to set it going.

Instructions said to keep it warm :wonder:

I put it in the airing cupboard with mums fresh clean laundry :lol1::lol1:

Whole house was woken in the middle of the night when it finally went off and turned every thing Pink :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Was not a popular lad for a while :lol1::lol1::lol1:

AndyC_772 10 July 2015 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by pflowers (Post 11707813)

Yes :)

From the archives... nearly 10 years ago now. Gee, I feel old.

hodgy0_2 10 July 2015 09:16 AM

good read,