ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tunisia...am I wrong here: (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1026469-tunisia-am-i-wrong-here.html)

ALi-B 28 June 2015 11:32 AM

Tunisia...am I wrong here:

I know this terrible massacre is inexcusable, but it appears to be a lone wolf action. One man running rampage. After realising this, it is highly likely that area won't have another any time soon.

So. If you were not in that vicinity, not even in a hotel that's near that beach, why would you clog up a third world country's limited infrastructure and resources by trying to get flown early back to the UK. So long as loved ones know you are ok, is there any need?

Why not stay put and allow those who have been directly affected to get repatriated more quickly instead of clogging up the airport and harassing the tour reps because something bad happened half a mile away?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be happy out there, but personally I'd see that I wouldn't be making the problems worse by trying to get back home early. And If I wasn't located anywhere near that resort, I'd consider myself to be rather selfish in trying to do that.

The Dogs B******s 28 June 2015 11:38 AM

Unless it's happened to you, I don't think you can comment. I'm in Cyprus now, and I know for a fact if it had happened here, my wife would have us the first plane home.

johned 28 June 2015 11:40 AM

Family safety would be paramount in my book.

donny andi 28 June 2015 11:41 AM

So you are there 'hypothetically' with the Mrs and kids enjoying a bit of sun , sand and .....
Along comes Mr fcuking looney tunes with his AK...

Would you go back to the hotel and shower and dress for the nights meal and entertainment.....or would you be grabbing the rep and telling them you want the first flight out:confused:
Me and my family would be on the first plane and the holiday company would be paying for a new one somewhere safer.

Tbh it's a sh1t hole place to go anyway , just like turkey and the other dirty cheap sh1thole places not on my 'to visit' list.

Matteeboy 28 June 2015 11:43 AM

Well I felt a bit nervous on our local beach yesterday. Just so many potentially vulnerable people plus DC is here a lot.

ALi-B 28 June 2015 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 11703275)
Unless it's happened to you, I don't think you can comment. I'm in Cyprus now, and I know for a fact if it had happened here, my wife would have us the first plane home.

Probably should have kept it to myself, I guess. But what I'm saying is, if something kicked off in northern Cyprus (which given past events, could), and you were in Southern Cyprus, would you still demand to leave for home, even though you are miles away? And, additionally whilst doing so pushing infront of people who actually had lost loved ones?

I'm not saying I'd be going to all-night raves or treating it as a holiday from that point onwards, but I'm saying that those directly affected would get more help if the authority and operators weren't inundated by those who were located miles away wanting preferential treatment.

markjmd 28 June 2015 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11703286)
Probably should have kept it to myself, I guess. But what I'm saying is, if something kicked off in northern Cyprus (which given past events, could), and you were in Southern Cyprus, would you still demand to leave for home, even though you are miles away? And, additionally whilst doing so pushing infront of people who actually had lost loved ones?

I'm not saying I'd be going to all-night raves or treating it as a holiday from that point onwards, but I'm saying that those directly affected would get more help if the authority and operators weren't inundated by those who were located miles away wanting preferential treatment.

I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure most of the tour companies are laying on the extra flights to bring people home as a matter of course, not because people are demanding it.

ALi-B 28 June 2015 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 11703318)
I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure most of the tour companies are laying on the extra flights to bring people home as a matter of course, not because people are demanding it.

Maybe so, seemed to me from reports that I had read/seen it was angled that the tourists are pushing for it. Maybe not, and if its the tour operators then I'll put my hands up and say I'm wrong; The media reporting on this is at best on notch above amateur when it comes to reporting facts.

LSherratt 28 June 2015 01:40 PM

Yes you're wrong on this one Ali in my opinion. If it were me and my girlfriend in Tunisia we'd be getting the first flight home. I could imagine feeling very nervous sitting on the beach or in the hotel complex after what has happened.

Tail Slider 28 June 2015 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11703271)
I know this terrible massacre is inexcusable, but it appears to be a lone wolf action. One man running rampage. After realising this, it is highly likely that area won't have another any time soon.

So. If you were not in that vicinity, not even in a hotel that's near that beach, why would you clog up a third world country's limited infrastructure and resources by trying to get flown early back to the UK. So long as loved ones know you are ok, is there any need?

Why not stay put and allow those who have been directly affected to get repatriated more quickly instead of clogging up the airport and harassing the tour reps because something bad happened half a mile away?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be happy out there, but personally I'd see that I wouldn't be making the problems worse by trying to get back home early. And If I wasn't located anywhere near that resort, I'd consider myself to be rather selfish in trying to do that.

From what I've heard on the news, IS have taken responsibility for the massacre so hardly a lone wolf plus the Foreign Office have not ruled out more attacks so IMO you'd be mad to stay there catching rays on the beach supping on your Pina Colada thinking all is dandy.

ALi-B 28 June 2015 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11703330)
Yes you're wrong on this one Ali in my opinion. If it were me and my girlfriend in Tunisia we'd be getting the first flight home. I could imagine feeling very nervous sitting on the beach or in the hotel complex after what has happened.

In a different resort though? Getting on a flight before those who have been directly affected have had chance to be repatriated?

That's what I'm getting at.

ALi-B 28 June 2015 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tail Slider (Post 11703335)
From what I've heard on the news, IS have taken responsibility for the massacre so hardly a lone wolf plus the Foreign Office have not ruled out more attacks so IMO you'd be mad to stay there catching rays on the beach supping on your Pina Colada thinking all is dandy.

IS will take responsibility for any mad mullah.

If this were a proper stragetic attack...we'll have another resort(s) targeted timed to happen as close together with attacks in other resorts, off the top of my head:

Bodrum
Saidia
Sharm El Sheikh
Negombo

Yeah, I'd be worried if I was there. Worried enough to jump on a plane? Not until another attack happens elsewhere...

The Trooper 1815 28 June 2015 02:06 PM

Tourists are still arriving in Sousse now.

JGlanzaV 28 June 2015 02:13 PM

I'd book up a cheap flight and hotel and head on out there!

Directly after 9/11 prices crashed and you couldnt give away flights to america....

I did a tour round America for a 1/4 of the cost after 9/11, visited San francisco, Chicago, Denver, Memphis, Honolulu, and NYC. All because people were so scared there might be another terror attack.

In reality, the safest place to be immediately after a terror attack is where it happened, as security is through the roof and the mad mullahs will know that and attack some place else instead....

AndyBaker 28 June 2015 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11703346)
In reality, the safest place to be immediately after a terror attack is where it happened, as security is through the roof and the mad mullahs will know that and attack some place else instead....

I agree, my daughter was born in Grantham hospital weeks after that tw8t Beverly Allitt killed the babies and there was no safer place on earth to have a baby. I would go to Tunisia tomorrow because once these sh1ts win we are all Fooked.:brickwall. It'll be back to Mablethorpe or Skeggy.

markjmd 28 June 2015 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11703346)
I'd book up a cheap flight and hotel and head on out there!

Directly after 9/11 prices crashed and you couldnt give away flights to america....

I did a tour round America for a 1/4 of the cost after 9/11, visited San francisco, Chicago, Denver, Memphis, Honolulu, and NYC. All because people were so scared there might be another terror attack.

That's all perfectly logical except for one important detail - the US had never been a likely target for terror attacks before 9/11, and history has shown that the pattern held true for over a decade since. The same can hardly be said though of the Middle-East or North-Africa.

LSherratt 28 June 2015 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11703336)
In a different resort though? Getting on a flight before those who have been directly affected have had chance to be repatriated?

That's what I'm getting at.

Yes, even if I was the other side of Tunisia. Who's to say that there isn't more planned attacks? It won't put me off ever going back to Tunisia (I've been twice and my parents have been 5 times) but I'd certainly want off immediately after what's happened.

JGlanzaV 28 June 2015 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11703356)
Yes, even if I was the other side of Tunisia. Who's to say that there isn't more planned attacks? It won't put me off ever going back to Tunisia (I've been twice and my parents have been 5 times) but I'd certainly want off immediately after what's happened.

That is completely illogical....

So you will happily go there, but if something happens 150miles away you expect to leave immediately?

If you are worried about attacks, regardless of wether one has happened recently or not, if there is a risk, there is a risk, so why would it make a difference if you went in 5 years time from now?

LSherratt 28 June 2015 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11703360)
That is completely illogical....

So you will happily go there, but if something happens 150miles away you expect to leave immediately?

If you are worried about attacks, regardless of wether one has happened recently or not, if there is a risk, there is a risk, so why would it make a difference if you went in 5 years time from now?

I think I have the same view as a lot of people here? I'd want the first plane home. I would not feel comfortable staying and I doubt I would enjoy the rest of the holiday as it would be the only thing on my mind. Doesn't seem illogical to me.

Vodkaa 28 June 2015 10:27 PM

First off let me start by saying i'm glad he survied but that guy who told his gf to run and took bullets for her what a damn idiot.

Why would anyone give there life up for someone else doesn't he know she would have been on someone elses dick by the end of the year if not sooner, no way in hell I would give my life up like that. I'm glad he survied but what an idiot.

S204Darren 28 June 2015 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vodkaa (Post 11703594)
First off let me start by saying i'm glad he survied but that guy who told his gf to run and took bullets for her what a damn idiot.

Why would anyone give there life up for someone else doesn't he know she would have been on someone elses dick by the end of the year if not sooner, no way in hell I would give my life up like that. I'm glad he survied but what an idiot.

Don't think I'd like to be stuck in the trenches with you.:(

Funkii Munkii 28 June 2015 10:58 PM

In reality nowhere is truely safe from a loan radicalised prick intent on murder and destruction, it's the sh1tty world we live in nowadays, sad but true.

hodgy0_2 29 June 2015 08:21 AM

If you were afraid of crazy lone gunmen, the U.S. must be off your list

I suppose it depends wether you mind being shot by a crazy young man - or simply a terrorist

EddScott 29 June 2015 09:40 AM

I can see the reasoning behind the thinking but I guess if you're in that situation, rational thought might not be so easy to come by. I guess human nature would be to want to be home and safe. I'd like to think that I would have the forethought to allow others that were injured or had lost people to take precedence over myself.

I went to Chernobyl last October and I'm going again later this year. It's hardly the safest place in the world and yes there is a war on in the south east but I found myself thinking, at least it won't be attacked by terrorists. A strange world to worry about going to a tourist location and not being particularly bothered about a nuclear exclusion zone in a country struggling not to consume itself in civil war.

JTaylor 29 June 2015 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Vodkaa (Post 11703594)

Have you ever been in love?

Turbohot 29 June 2015 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11703704)
Have you ever been in love?

I don't think it's a case of him being in love. I don't think anyone has ever loved him to make him feel important enough, or he won't have images of them in the way he does.

gary77 29 June 2015 11:51 AM

i dont think its a lone wolf thing, this is the second time in couple of months tourists have been targeted in tunisia ,

if it hadnt been for that first attack i may well have booked a holidauy there , instead the family and i are going to majorca which has now had its risk level raised aswell , im now equally worried about leaving my subaru as being shot

not how i expected to feel about my holiday

gary77 29 June 2015 11:56 AM

and half a mile away , you said that like its the other side of the country, thats just down the street .

i'd have me and the kids cowering in a cupboard till it was time to go home , the gf can keep an eye out

but being serious my feeling is that the attacks are more about stopping tunisia being a holiday destination than actually killing the tourists although im not sure why,

another thought is , surely its more likely for them to do this when the schools break off and more people will be going on holiday , and it seems to me if you are in a country that sided with usa in the invasion of iraq its likely that country will be targeted

basically these terorist groups are pissed at the countries that want to rule and control the world and the only way they can hurt them is by doing things like this

Vodkaa 29 June 2015 12:06 PM

Yes i've been in love but come on now we all know what happens once you fall out with your current partner, it switches from love to how much he/she hates you, and 9 times out of 10 they are on another dick(proving how much she really loved you) within two weeks heck sometimes sooner.

So you would throw your life away to save some tart who is going to be screwing someone else a few months after you're worm food, no thanks that's not for me.

As for the dude who said he wouldn't like to be in the trenchs with me, that's a whole diffrent ballgame, that would mean a war i'd joined the army for or been called up because we might loose said war you could count on me to have your back to the end in that situation.

JTaylor 29 June 2015 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vodkaa (Post 11703796)
Yes i've been in love but come on now we all know what happens once you fall out with your current partner, it switches from love to how much he/she hates you, and 9 times out of 10 they are on another dick(proving how much she really loved you) within two weeks heck sometimes sooner.

So you would throw your life away to save some tart who is going to be screwing someone else a few months after you're worm food, no thanks that's not for me.

As for the dude who said he wouldn't like to be in the trenchs with me, that's a whole diffrent ballgame, that would mean a war i'd joined the army for or been called up because we might loose said war you could count on me to have your back to the end in that situation.

You sound like you've been badly hurt by women in the past. I have, too (most of us have if we're honest), but if you really love someone, you'll give your life for them. It's instinctive.