ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Well the Focus RS just went AWD (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1019500-well-the-focus-rs-just-went-awd.html)

XDevil666 03 February 2015 03:00 PM

Well the Focus RS just went AWD

Third-generation Ford Focus RS will powered by a 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine producing 316bhp, and gets all-wheel drive for the first time, reports say the engine should be good for 340bhp

http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/site...?itok=kB0wH69x

http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/site...?itok=0FaPtkL6

Pricing etc next month

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...usive-pictures

matt-c 03 February 2015 03:07 PM

Looks quite Evo X from the front (from memory)

Steveobc 03 February 2015 03:33 PM

best get my prodrive mapped quick, im only 11bhp off the pace lol

The Trooper 1815 03 February 2015 03:56 PM

Perhaps this should be in the Other Marques section that's had a thread running for weeks :brickwall

Shaun 03 February 2015 04:01 PM

Assuming they get this right...... it will be bye bye to the Golf R current interest.

Subaru - sort it out!

Paben 03 February 2015 04:06 PM

Ford ought to have gone down the AWD route from day one with the RS. This should be quite a car, especially when the modding fraternity get hold of it.

STI Glenn 03 February 2015 04:19 PM

They talked about it over 10 yrs ago

b3nmw 03 February 2015 04:24 PM

:idea:
One for u Glenn in white

STI Glenn 03 February 2015 04:29 PM

No way mate

Henrik 03 February 2015 04:36 PM

that looks fantastic IMO, but then I'm also a great fan of the Impreza hatch :)

If it's not outrageously expensive, I might even be tempted myself.

jaygsi 03 February 2015 04:50 PM

Dam that's impressive, I feel everyone on this forum should post this and the spec to Subaru, they first try to discontinue the wrx and sti range due to little interest.

Its not that the UK is not interested, its because Japan insist we want what the Americans want big engines with poor bhp :cry:

Carnut 03 February 2015 05:04 PM

Fcuking amazing.

Goodbye M135i, 235, golf r, s3, rs3 and a45 amg etc.

jaygsi 03 February 2015 05:08 PM

Nice find will watch that later

ditchmyster 03 February 2015 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11619556)
Ford ought to have gone down the AWD route from day one with the RS. This should be quite a car, especially when the modding fraternity get hold of it.

I doubt it if the engines running 316bhp and it's only going to be good for 340bhp that's already pretty close to it's limit on standard internals, when you consider that a Blob STI is good for 450bhp all day long and the gearbox is good for 600bhp, it doesn't leave much scope or compare well, they should be making it good for 500bhp with a gearbox and running gear to match IMO considering it's a niche market model that will have a limited production run and be bought by enthusiasts for the most part.

The extra cost is probably peanuts too at point of manufacture, certainly compared to what it will cost to have it rebuilt to take 500bhp.

I certainly won't be buying one, even my crappy WRX is good for 350bhp and it's not the "Performance model" :freak3:

jaygsi 03 February 2015 05:26 PM

Most people who buy them will leave them standard, its mainly the used market that people going for high bhp.

I would say most people want a car that's fast from new, rather than having to buy a under powered car and then make it fast.

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11619609)
I doubt it if the engines running 316bhp and it's only going to be good for 340bhp that's already pretty close to it's limit on standard internals, when you consider that a Blob STI is good for 450bhp all day long and the gearbox is good for 600bhp, it doesn't leave much scope or compare well, they should be making it good for 500bhp with a gearbox and running gear to match IMO considering it's a niche market model that will have a limited production run and be bought by enthusiasts for the most part.

The extra cost is probably peanuts too at point of manufacture, certainly compared to what it will cost to have it rebuilt to take 500bhp.

I certainly won't be buying one, even my crappy WRX is good for 350bhp and it's not the "Performance model" :freak3:

Carnut 03 February 2015 05:27 PM

Watch the vid Ditch, you seem to be off the mark.

Abx 03 February 2015 05:33 PM

It will probably be my next purchase, anyone want my MY11 at the end of this year!

Take off the MY15 STI wheels and add a set of BBS CH's!

;):D;)

SpecC_Chris 03 February 2015 05:56 PM

I've been a RS owner for many years and still a ford fan but they have flopped with the styling on this!

ALi-B 03 February 2015 05:57 PM

If anyone has bothered to look at the contruction of teh 2.3 ecoboost - as featured in the Mustang (I read alot of US tuner websites/mags).

They'll note the biggest differnce to this engine compared to ANY other engine is the exhaust manifold is now part of the cylinder head. This is a pretty big deal....a long time ago, pre-war vehicles along with heavy duty stationary engines had siamesed inlet or exhaust ports or runners that form part of the head or block. So Ford reverting back to this setup is quite an interesting one. It maybe restrictive above a given gas flow, but it puts the turbo very close to the ports so there are pros and cons.

http://motrolix.com/wp-content/uploa...-1-720x340.jpg

That means, porting, custom headers, injectors, or fancy/larger turbos is going to be very very difficult to do. So bar winding up the boost on the existing turbo and maybe forging a few bits, there is little scope on these units without spending big money. I'm sure Stu will find out pretty soon though ;)

alcazar 03 February 2015 06:01 PM

Personally, I'll believe ford will do an AWD car when I see one in the showrooms, available to buy.

We HAVE been promised before, remember?:mad:

And WHY do all European cars now lok like featureless little jelly-moulds?

ditchmyster 03 February 2015 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Carnut (Post 11619613)
Watch the vid Ditch, you seem to be off the mark.

Ok watched a few of the vids and I'm not impressed TBH, Only thing I like about it is the seats.

I know this is going to sound a bit RS Matt but it's got anything that would make me want to part with my WRX Wagon AND £30k and most definitely once I finish my next round of mods on the Wagon which will cost roughly £3k mine will p!ss all over it if I so desire.

I'm all about value for money and for me it's really not, I can think of so many things I'd rather do with £30k than spend it on a poxy Ford.

Sorry but it's not for me, dare I admit I'd sooner get the BMW 135i at least that has a certain amount of prestige, even though it doesn't handle in the wet.

Actually scratch that, I wouldn't get one of those either, for the same reasons really, £30k down the toilet IMO.

Carnut 03 February 2015 06:35 PM

Im not so interested in the price Ditch, Im not buying one. You talked of 320bhp and not being able to map etc but there are some who say it will have 350bhp. Ford have only told us that it will have more than 320bhp but are keeping their cards close.

It can send 70% of power to either one of the rear wheels if it likes and is showing lift off oversteer https://www.scoobynet.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif with Kenny at the wheel.

It will no doubt have a great re sale value so 30k wont be quite so bad, not when compared to the competition who loose money hand over fist.
I know someone that put a deposit down on the last RS and made money on it before he even got the car. People will be selling their place on the order forms for these.

Proper hot hatch.

alcazar 03 February 2015 06:37 PM

hahahahahahahahaha.
it's not been built yet.

let's talk about an AWD Ford when we see one, eh?

They HAVE lied before!

Shaun 03 February 2015 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Carnut (Post 11619603)

You're an absolute penis at times Carnut. :lol1:

scoobyboy1 03 February 2015 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11619675)
hahahahahahahahaha.
it's not been built yet.

let's talk about an AWD Ford when we see one, eh?

They HAVE lied before!

Its been officially released, cant see them not making it now.:D

scoobyboy1 03 February 2015 07:22 PM

Watched a video the other day with the new Mustang with the 2.3 ecoboost engine(same engine as the RS) with just a remap it was pulling 12.5 consistently on the quarter mile and thats with RWD, Imagine what this thing will do with AWD:notworthy

Norman Dog 03 February 2015 07:24 PM

:wonder: Only 316BHP?

That's the same as my car.
My car will be quicker however, because it's a Subaru. :smug:

jazzyjembreaze 03 February 2015 07:25 PM

Same engine as Ford put in there entry level pick- ups over the pond , 2015 strategy marketing , bigger is not allways better ... Yea whatever ,

joe v3sti 03 February 2015 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Carnut (Post 11619603)
Fcuking amazing.

Megane 275 trophy would smash it!

jameswrx 03 February 2015 09:02 PM

Everyone keeps saying 'only 316bhp'. But the chap from Ford says on the video, it'll be 'more than 320bhp'