ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   US Police release graphic footage... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1019160-us-police-release-graphic-footage.html)

Blue by You 29 January 2015 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11615531)
11 hours and 11 posts later and still no body has actually addressed the question raised by the OP. Wonder how long Scoobynets hatred of the police/'scum' can keep this going. :wonder:

Really. See post 27 and calm your troubled mind :D

neil-h 29 January 2015 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 11615537)
Really. See post 27 and calm your troubled mind :D

**** I can't believe I missed that single line amongst all the other rubbish. :lol1:

ditchmyster 29 January 2015 08:55 AM

Initially it seems as though he's just been shot for running away, it's not clear in the camera footage what he dropped, but rather obvious that the cop could see the gun, the fact that the runner retrieved it and continued to run is valid grounds to shoot him, regardless of the fact he continued to run, as he could have turned and fired at any point, even more so as he started to run out of escape options the chances of him turning and shooting would have increased.

If he'd not ran he'd probably just be done for possession which isn't such a big deal in America, although would count as one of his 3 strikes, also depending on what he'd done before and whether or not the gun had been used in previous crimes, which is maybe why he bolted and tried to retrieve the gun, who knows.

So in answer to the OP :D yes it is a good idea for them to have cameras as it removes all doubt, also stops them from abusing their position, as no doubt without video footage it would simply be seen as another cop gunning down a black man for no real reason and they would probably say the gun was a plant, he'd have probably shot the other idiot that came over shouting too, as in my eyes he did represent a threat also under the circumstances.

Phew.

gazzawrx 29 January 2015 09:29 AM

If you watch the video closely you'll see he had his mobile phone in his hand just before he runs off, there's a very good chance it was the phone he dropped and he retrieved it due to the possibility of being identified by it or having stuff in there he didn't want the old bill to have.

I not once saw a gun, even when he's lying on the floor and the copper goes over to him to retrieve the so called "gun", you can't quite make out what it is but it certainly don't look like a gun to me. In my opinion the copper was way over the top in his reaction, I could understand if the guy turned round to aim or shoot at him but you could see all he wanted to do was get away.

Martin2005 29 January 2015 09:33 AM

I think body cams are a good idea, as long as the footage doesn't end up on YouTube!

Sad Weevil 29 January 2015 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 11614991)
What made me chuckle was the guy arguing with the cop. The cop is fizzing and now running on neat adrenalin and is holding a loaded gun. And a do-gooder is arguing with him about the condition of the suspect. :cuckoo:
My advice - RUN AWAY!

That probably wouldn't end well.......

Blue by You 29 January 2015 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11615564)
even when he's lying on the floor and the copper goes over to him to retrieve the so called "gun", you can't quite make out what it is

Agreed it's not at all clear what the 1st cop picks up. But at 2.40 the 2nd cop picks something up from under the body at tosses it to one side, and hits the grass with what appears to be significant weight. To me it looks more like a gun than a mobile phone. But that's just my opinion.
What isn't clear from the video is why the suspect was approached in the first place. Perhaps he's a known felon with loads of previous, hence why he took to his heels. We do hear the cop ask if he is carrying any weapons, and then at the first opportunity the guy takes flight. Odd behaviour for an innocent party wouldn't you think?
Not saying that means he deserves to be shot, but it is odd.

Oh and I should add, I think body cams in police encounters are a good idea :D

The Dogs B******s 29 January 2015 10:18 AM

If you watch the video closely you'll see he had his mobile phone in his hand just before he runs off, there's a very good chance it was the phone he dropped and he retrieved it due to the possibility of being identified by it or having stuff in there he didn't want the old bill to have.

I not once saw a gun, even when he's lying on the floor and the copper goes over to him to retrieve the so called "gun", you can't quite make out what it is but it certainly don't look like a gun to me. In my opinion the copper was way over the top in his reaction, I could understand if the guy turned round to aim or shoot at him but you could see all he wanted to do was get away.

Tut.

Bonehead 29 January 2015 10:19 AM

We trialled body cams a while back in my farce. A bit of a double edged sword but more good than bad I found, especially when you'd be dealing with someone who was likely to kick off and you'd remind them they're being filmed and they'd calm down and a lot of situations would resolve themselves well.

This video shows how quickly things can escalate and like this cop there were a couple of occasions where situations got out of hand and the footage showed I was acting in the right.
One I was at a domestic where the roidhead boyfriend had used the GF as a punchbag and she was so scared of him she refused to speak with Police. There'd been lots of incidents there where Police had been called to screaming from the address and she'd always refused to say what'd been happening.
He'd been arrested a few times as she had bruising but she made retraction statements in the morning so CPS said there was nothing we could do, so he was set free and went back to pummel her again.
In this incident a neighbour had called and I was the only one free to check if she was ok, he'd gone when I turned up and as I was talking to her he reappeared and attacked me.
Luckily I got the better of him and locked him up.
As per usual she refused to go on record and when he was released, though he'd got charged with assault Police, he made a complaint against me which a supervisor known as Sgt Thrush decided to run with as the GF had provided a statement that backed up what he'd said, and the supervisor's a backstabbing piece of vermin
When professional standards came to speak with me luckily the bodycam footage was still available so they took one look at it and threw the complaint out.
I was told that with two identical statements against me I could've been in the poop, thankfully I wasn't
Much later she left him and I saw her and she told me he'd made her complain against me

hodgy0_2 29 January 2015 11:03 AM

that is the big problem with being in the police

you tend to spend a lot time with dishonest crims - an occupational hazard I guess

gazzawrx 29 January 2015 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 11615588)
Tut.

Another educated response bought to you by scoobynet.:Whatever_

What's your opinion on the matter then?

gazzawrx 29 January 2015 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 11615586)
Agreed it's not at all clear what the 1st cop picks up. But at 2.40 the 2nd cop picks something up from under the body at tosses it to one side, and hits the grass with what appears to be significant weight. To me it looks more like a gun than a mobile phone. But that's just my opinion.
What isn't clear from the video is why the suspect was approached in the first place. Perhaps he's a known felon with loads of previous, hence why he took to his heels. We do hear the cop ask if he is carrying any weapons, and then at the first opportunity the guy takes flight. Odd behaviour for an innocent party wouldn't you think?
Not saying that means he deserves to be shot, but it is odd.

Oh and I should add, I think body cams in police encounters are a good idea :D

Agreed on the behaviour thing, I don't believe he was innocent as he wouldn't of run if he was but fwiw he could of just had drugs on his person. If you look at what the copper throws into the bush it looks as though it was black coloured where as when the other copper passes the gun in question to his colleague after retrieving it from said bush it was clearly shiny silver.:confused: also at exactly 2.59 in the video you'll see on the floor what seems to be a red vile/ tube of sorts, the sort of thing you see on reality cop shows containing crack cocaine etc, maybe he was in the process of doing a deal and that's why the cop apprehended him in the first place???, that's certainly reason enough to have it on his toes if he was.

To answer the op's question, yeah I'd say its a good thing to have body cams fitted as it gives us on scoobynet more things to talk/discuss about ;) :)

Devildog 29 January 2015 11:33 AM

2.39 and a bit (hd) - second cop clearly removes a silver coloured gun and tosses it aside.

scunnered 29 January 2015 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by donny andi (Post 11615083)
Loaded and c0cked.
Tbh if I had a 9mm and someone pulled a bb gun on me......I'd shoot.
Suppose he could of shot him in the legs , but why risk him returning a fatal lucky shot :confused:
Fooook him

"Loaded and cocked" was referring to the policeman's own gun after he gave it to his colleague to make it secure.

Originally Posted by shytorque (Post 11615087)
Think the cop said he (the scrote) dropped the gun and went to pick it up.

The cop was indicating that he dropped his handcuffs back at the place where it kicked off.

The Dogs B******s 29 January 2015 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11615607)
Another educated response bought to you by scoobynet.:Whatever_

What's your opinion on the matter then?

He had a gun, which in the clip shows this. He did a runner from the police, so guilty of something, if I was that police officer I would have done the same thing, if you think he might shoot first then you shoot first. I can't help it you conspiracy theorists always go against reality.

To the OP, I think it's a good idea.(but on scoobynet these days, camera evidence just isn't enough)

^Qwerty^ 29 January 2015 12:43 PM

Don't really see what the country has to do with it. If you run away from an armed officer in any country, drop a gun and bend down to pick it up, I expect you'd also get shot.

That's how I see the video anyway. Release away, hopefully people will see how difficult a job it is, and in doing that job, people have to make split second decisions that may snuff the life out of somebody else.

Bonehead 29 January 2015 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11615606)
that is the big problem with being in the police

you tend to spend a lot time with dishonest crims - an occupational hazard I guess

Nature of the beast,

Vodkaa 29 January 2015 03:21 PM

Coppers. Assholes if you ask me nothing but bully boys taking there frustrations out on people for how they were treat at school.

In all my life I think i've only met one or two good decent cops, I've seen cops assaulting people for no reason, even partcipating in perverting the course of justice.

Bunch of wankers.

gazzawrx 29 January 2015 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 11615656)
He had a gun, which in the clip shows this. He did a runner from the police, so guilty of something, if I was that police officer I would have done the same thing, if you think he might shoot first then you shoot first. I can't help it you conspiracy theorists always go against reality.

To the OP, I think it's a good idea.(but on scoobynet these days, camera evidence just isn't enough)

The clip didn't clearly show him having a gun though did it! Nor does it show him making any attempt of firing at the copper so what you said contradicts the point your trying to make, hence the whole debate.

What has conspiracy theories got to do with it, it isn't 911 or the JFK assassination is it? Its a simple case of a video showing something that may or may not have been excessive force. If you think this could be classed as a conspiracy theory then I suggest you educate yourself with maybe the use of google as to what one actually is.:Whatever_

Kwik 29 January 2015 04:52 PM

2:51 you can clearly see a gun.

gazzawrx 29 January 2015 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kwik (Post 11615840)
2:51 you can clearly see a gun.

Can someone put a screenshot up of said gun please as I can't see fook all on this tablet and can't figure out how to freeze frame on youtube:thumb:

the shreksta 29 January 2015 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vodkaa (Post 11615778)
Coppers. Assholes if you ask me nothing but bully boys taking there frustrations out on people for how they were treat at school.

In all my life I think i've only met one or two good decent cops, I've seen cops assaulting people for no reason, even partcipating in perverting the course of justice.

Bunch of wankers.

:freak3:

hodgy0_2 29 January 2015 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11615845)
Can someone put a screenshot up of said gun please as I can't see fook all on this tablet and can't figure out how to freeze frame on youtube:thumb:

the policeman picks up a (silver) gun from the hedgerow - at aprox 2:50

it is thrown there by the policeman tending to the dead guy

Kwik 29 January 2015 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11615845)

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...psba29e9bd.png
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7964b5a7.png

Clearly cocked in the second picture. Very difficult to get a clear screenshot from a video.

Geezer 29 January 2015 05:50 PM

If someone was chasing me with a gun and I dropped my phone, I don't care what was on it, I wouldn't stop to pick it up. A gun on the other hand, you may retrieve that as it gives you a chance to defend yourself (and it's a lot more incriminating than a phone)

gazzawrx 29 January 2015 05:51 PM

Cheers Kwik. I still think the copper was a bit too quick on the draw to shoot the guy though, IMO it didn't look as though the guy wanted to shoot the copper, it seemed all he wanted to do was get away, obviously if the guy did turn to shoot then the copper was already aimed and ready to fire anyway so I doubt he would of got one off at the copper first. Swings and roundabouts I suppose, that said if you play with guns then expect to get shot.

P1Fanatic 03 February 2015 06:04 PM

Are people even watching the same video clip? He turns around to pick something up. What do you do - wait to be shot at? The cop who shot him nowhere near the body, other officer turns up his hand is clearly empty before he retrieves the gun and throws it.

Luan Pra bang 03 February 2015 11:12 PM

The trouble with body cams is the the evidence disappears when it doesn't suit the police agenda. Recent case here where a middle aged man and his wife were brutally beaten in their own home by police with batons. After making complaints they were even threatend by a sergeant involved and surprise surprise the footage from bodycam went missing.

b3nmw 04 February 2015 08:55 AM

Cops don't **** about over there.