ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Sony backing down on release of The Interview (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1017134-sony-backing-down-on-release-of-the-interview.html)

drb5 19 December 2014 12:54 PM

Sony backing down on release of The Interview

Surprised no-one's mentioned this.

All the celeb's are saying it's a terrible thing to back down over the hacking, but IMO, the film should never have went ahead in the first place! OK, it's all just a joke, but the guy's a nutter! Didn't they expect some kind of come back from him?

David Walliams, although decrying what Sony has done, said...

"It's a sad day when @SonyPictures bow to the will of a brutal dictator who murders his own people."

That says it all IMO, but in the opposite of what he was intending...

JTaylor 19 December 2014 01:09 PM

For me, as a defender of free speech, it's a sad outcome. Having said that, if I were the CEO of Sony or one of the other decision makers involved, it should go without saying that serious consideration be given to the interests of the business and I would probably have to demote artistic, ethical and philosophical notions. Unfortunately, that is bowing down to state-sponsored cyber-terrorism. There's no easy answer to this one.

ALi-B 19 December 2014 01:16 PM

Reeks of plublicity stunt to me.

Give it a few months when the cinemas are a bit quieter and they'll release it.

drb5 19 December 2014 01:26 PM

Can't see it being released in the cinema's....CAN see it turning up as a torrent however! :D

Bit of an expensive publicity stunt at $41 million dollars.

JTaylor 19 December 2014 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11585994)

Is this a joke, Ali?

Tidgy 19 December 2014 01:26 PM

yeah i suspect it will come out sooner or later.

the shreksta 19 December 2014 01:31 PM

I'm all up for free speech but when fun is poked at somebody as unstable as that then perhaps a bit of tact wouldn't go amiss.

Didn't Sony even think what would happen if he did take it the wrong way? A little extreme to say but if innocent people were killed over this how would Sony react? How do you apologise to family members of the dead..............We are really sorry xxxxxxxxx was killed, we honestly thought poking fun at a unhinged war Lord was a good idea. ..............

Yeah good one Sony.....

Dr Hu 19 December 2014 01:33 PM

Well I would say it's become next years 'Must See'..... hahahahaha

It will slip out, either on the newsgroups, or maybe SONY will do a straight to DVD release, but I reckon its done wonders for the publicity of the movie.

In fairness I think Sony were between a rock & a hard place with this one, but I tend to agree with the David Walliams quote above...

^Qwerty^ 19 December 2014 01:39 PM

I expect it to appear online at some point shortly, probably stolen and posted up by some hacker types.

Markus 19 December 2014 02:22 PM

I'm sure Sony has some kind of insurance for this type of thing, so they will still make money from it, though they'll likely still claim it's made a loss, and it's all the naughty hackers fault, and not the fact they use skewed accounting practices to make it seem as though they don't make money from films.

I think they should have gone ahead with the screenings regardless. It's setting a precedent for this type of thing. What happened to the whole "we don't negotiate with terrorists" type stance? If not from Sony, then from, for example, the US Government. If you cave, are you not then giving them what they want?

ScoobyWon't 19 December 2014 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11586011)
I'm all up for free speech but when fun is poked at somebody as unstable as that then perhaps a bit of tact wouldn't go amiss.

Didn't Sony even think what would happen if he did take it the wrong way? A little extreme to say but if innocent people were killed over this how would Sony react? How do you apologise to family members of the dead..............We are really sorry xxxxxxxxx was killed, we honestly thought poking fun at a unhinged war Lord was a good idea. ..............

Yeah good one Sony.....

I don't recall there being so much fuss when Team America was released which also lampooned the North Korean dictatorship.

dpb 19 December 2014 03:17 PM

Thats dad though

Markus 19 December 2014 07:31 PM

Obama is saying Sony "Did the wrong thing" when they pulled the movie. FBI confirms that NK was behind (wether that is true remains to be seen)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...-gop/20635449/

zip106 19 December 2014 07:43 PM

Making a film about the death of someone who is still alive, however unlikeable that person is, is pretty bad taste IMO.

If this was done about our Queen I'd like to think there'd be a bit of annoyance from us.

drb5 19 December 2014 08:34 PM

Good point right there zip!

ScoobyWon't 19 December 2014 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11586111)
Thats dad though

I am aware of that. The point is that the Americans made a film taking the piss out of one dictator and obviously thought that as the list dictator didn't complain, they could get away with doing the same again. This time Team North Korea decided to be world police.

J4CKO 19 December 2014 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11586343)
Making a film about the death of someone who is still alive, however unlikeable that person is, is pretty bad taste IMO.

If this was done about our Queen I'd like to think there'd be a bit of annoyance from us.

To be fair our Queen isn't a murderous Dictator, well, if you believe the whole Diana thing was real she isnt.

zip106 19 December 2014 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 11586420)
To be fair our Queen isn't a murderous Dictator, well, if you believe the whole Diana thing was real she isnt.

Yeah.....fcuk it.

Carry on.

Torquemada 22 December 2014 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't (Post 11586050)
I don't recall there being so much fuss when Team America was released which also lampooned the North Korean dictatorship.

Team America: World Police (6/10) Movie CLIP - I'm So Ronery (2004) HD - YouTube

Paramount has also blocked Team America being re-shown in cinema's recently.

The Interview will probably go to DVD and paid streaming and downloads next year.
I think they should have gone ahead with the release although I understand the fears they have, if you remember the nutcase at the Dark Knight premiere who went postal it's not impossible that something similar could have happened at release of The Interview.

I doubt there would have been any big military response from N.Korea directly but it would have been attacks which could be sited as those perpetrated by nutcases independent of N. Korea, even if they were actually state sanctioned.

markjmd 22 December 2014 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Torquemada (Post 11588246)
Paramount has also blocked Team America being re-shown in cinema's recently.

The Interview will probably go to DVD and paid streaming and downloads next year.
I think they should have gone ahead with the release although I understand the fears they have, if you remember the nutcase at the Dark Knight premiere who went postal it's not impossible that something similar could have happened at release of The Interview.

I doubt there would have been any big military response from N.Korea directly but it would have been attacks which could be sited as those perpetrated by nutcases independent of N. Korea, even if they were actually state sanctioned.

This whole thread is missing the point. It was the cinema chains who said they wouldn't show the movie, and only after that did Sony say they were canceling the release (it's not like they had any real choice, if there was nowhere to actually show the film).

Torquemada 22 December 2014 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 11588332)
This whole thread is missing the point. It was the cinema chains who said they wouldn't show the movie, and only after that did Sony say they were canceling the release (it's not like they had any real choice, if there was nowhere to actually show the film).

Absolutely right, shoulda mentioned that! Major chains are the ones effectively censoring due to fear. Still it stands that it's a backwards step and an unfortunate win for terrorism (in a cyber sense) and a mad dictator.

ALi-B 22 December 2014 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Torquemada (Post 11588491)
Absolutely right, shoulda mentioned that! Major chains are the ones effectively censoring due to fear. Still it stands that it's a backwards step and an unfortunate win for terrorism (in a cyber sense) and a mad dictator.

Or it was convenient to drop yet another mediocre Seth Rogan film to free screens up to show something more profitable, until a time when it becomes viable.

The press surrounding it has instantly made this film a hit now, so its just a matter of time.

There's some subterfuge mixed in with these real events.

Time will tell.

pimmo2000 23 December 2014 09:21 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30589472

ALi-B 24 December 2014 10:05 AM

Ha! Why am I not surprised.

I thought it'd be new year before they released it, but hey ho, close enough. Like I said - Publicity wins and even Obama fell for it.

Ant 25 December 2014 08:46 AM

Well looks like Korea have replied seeing as there's a 1080p version to download on torrents now :lol1:

tony de wonderful 25 December 2014 10:07 AM

It looks utter ****e.

dpb 25 December 2014 09:28 PM

its pretty ****e

we just watched it via playbook to tv ,on veetel :)

ALi-B 26 December 2014 10:15 AM

Its a Seth Rogan film - what did you expect? :D

RA Dunk 29 December 2014 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11585994)

Quite a clever one as well by all accounts.

"The Interview has become Sony's highest-selling online film of all time"

http://news.sky.com/story/1399040/th...online-release

dpb 29 December 2014 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11590118)
Its a Seth Rogan film - what did you expect? :D

i expected it to be written by a teenager for 12 year olds , like most american shoite